Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fire questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Yes as the RGI who posted in your thread. I had one installed in a house and they ensured a vent was created.
    Hi..
    I posted this in Building Regs...I may get a quicker answer here.
    Do you need a vent as well as a chimney for a gas fire?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057522495/1/#post97733934

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

MAJJ wrote: »
    Yes as the RGI who posted in your thread. I had one installed in a house and they ensured a vent was created.

Just seen that...cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Vent and really should have a CO detector also.

Ok..so I finally got a service man here. He just told me that if the house was built before 2008 and/or under 8kW there is no need for a vent...
    Is he right?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

Ok..so I finally got a service man here. He just told me that if the house was built before 2008 and/or under 8kW there is no need for a vent...
    Is he right?

The regulations changed around then. Our house was piped for a gas fire but none was installed at the time (2001) when we wanted to instal one in 2010 we would have had to instal vents before installing it so we didn't go ahead.

It depends when the gas fire was installed. If vents weren't required when the gas fire was put in there is no issue legally - it's not retrospective

• Advertisement

Is he right?

If you had a gas leak or it burns up all the oxygen in the room , you'd wish you had a vent. That's based on zero regulation knowledge but just common sense to me. When I got a gas fire in my home was 1970s but don't know fire output but they insisted a vent was required.

Also found out the chimney is blocked too, zero fumes been extracted :-0

Also found out the chimney is blocked too, zero fumes been extracted :-0

Yikes, hope it all works out for you

Advertisement