Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Politics and Law in DCU

Options
  • 14-11-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I was thinking of doing EPL in DCU. I was wondering could anyone give me a run down on the course and what its like? Is the maths in economics difficult? and what are the career prospects for this course?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 term1001

D7arren wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing EPL in DCU. I was wondering could anyone give me a run down on the course and what its like? Is the maths in economics difficult? and what are the career prospects for this course?

I'm not doing EPL personally but I am doing law and have a lot of friends doing EPL. Only in first year so it's a fairly limited sample size. So far they all say the maths is easy enough and none of them were getting A1's in their Leaving Cert Math. The law is well manageable if you put as long as you do the readings. The thing with law (so far) is that it is easy enough to understand but there is a large volume of it. The politics just seems to be that if you enjoy and have an interest in politics naturally you will be grand.

Once again we're only a few months in but those are the initial impressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Runny nose

D7arren wrote: »

I'm in second year of EPL. I was sceptical of EPL at first but I'm in love with the course now. First year is a breeze especially if you did higher level maths in the LC. This year though the Economics seems to be a little more intense. The Law side is just the same as last year; as long as you're doing the reading and attending lectures it will be fine. The course is very doable for anyone with a bit of intelligence and especially if you have an interest in any of the areas. Career wise there's a heap of options from becoming a Solicitor, working in the financial sector, civil service, or even becoming a CSPE teacher!

The key thing I've found with this course and have notice from anyone doing the course is that as long as you've got some bit of brains in you, you'll do fine and this will leave you with plenty of roads to take when you graduate!

Any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Final year in EPL. Law is okay, if you are good at learning off a lot of information and structuring it well you'll be fine. I was never a fan of politics, dropped it completely this year. Its either you love it or hate it, I'm with the latter. Economics is my favourite, not the best choice in first and second year because all you do is introduction and intermediate stuff, but final year is more broad. Everyone seems to worry about the maths part of the course, which isn't even a big deal. In first year the only maths module is business maths, or maths for economics as I believe its now called. The lectures are a bore but the subject isn't difficult. Its all about practice, you just need a decent level of maths to do well, but its not actually that hard. Economics in first year doesnt really have any maths at all. In second year you will have intermediate microeconomics, which is a bit of a puzzling module but youll get there, again you just need practice.

Advertisement