Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Delvin bordering Swords?

Options
  • 14-11-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

An online history of Swords states:
    Swords which is bordered by the rivers Tolka and Delvin with the River Ward flowing through it.

Online information re River Delvin says it starts near Garristown and flows into the sea near Knocknagin, Balbriggan so this can't be the 'Swords Delvin River'.

Are you aware of any river or stream called Delvin in the immediate Swords area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The Tolka is a mighty long way from Swords as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Can you provide a link?
    If you said that Balrothery was bordered by those rivers I would believe it as the Barony of Balrothery may well have stretched that far north to south. But not Swords (even with related townlands).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is the river that flows past the Old Schoolhouse and the Castle the Ward?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Stheno wrote: »
    Is the river that flows past the Old Schoolhouse and the Castle the Ward?

Yes it is.
    I don't know of any Delvin River around Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks - sorry, I should have provided the link initially

http://www.swords-dublin.com/history.html

So the only river is the Ward then, as far as you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In the first sentence, if you replace 'Swords' with 'Fingal' it makes more sense. Some poetic license appears to have been taken with the local geography. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks very much to all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Don't forget the Broadmeadow river flows close to Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The Delvin really doesn't border swords at all. There is a stream running the length of the forest road (she's been tunnelled since the 90s) and feeds the ward around The Mayors. The name is escaping me but Delvin is ringing bells.

Advertisement