Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carvery Lunch

• 15-11-2015 2:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

So tomorrow is the day for the old carvery, pigs slurping at troughs in my opinion. Will have a four course meal myself tomorrow and for those who choose to eat that muck why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

So tomorrow is the day for the old carvery, pigs slurping at troughs in my opinion. Will have a four course meal myself tomorrow and for those who choose to eat that muck why?

Great for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Great for some.

Did you really have to quote my op, its quite obvious its me you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Hardy, hardy, har :pac: Quotey Mc Quoterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Mmmmm.....swimming in gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I lie awake every Saturday night thinking of the carvery lunch on Sunday.

Will the roasted spuds have completely crystallized under the heaters?

Will the beef have the taste of wet cardboard and the texture of Lino.

How often will I puke in the reeking hotel toilets?

Ah, the carvery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Once, i had a carvery on a Tuesday. Full time mad bastard me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A bit 'common' no?

No.

Ok Karl, once was enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

When a carvery is done well it's a proper good feed but more often than not, cold mash, frozen chips and beef with all the tenderness of a ten year old Wellington boot does not a nice meal make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

My sister hates (well la de da...ms fancy food connoisseur) them but I like them. Some of them can actually be good.

Anytime I mention a carvery I get slagged off from her about them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Done to death already in the last couple of months: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96378534

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Done to death already in the last couple of months: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96378534

Will you say a mass father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Will you say a mass father?

If you can hum it, I can say it.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    If you can hum it, I can say it.

You would like that wouldn't you father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

A nice turkey carvery, roast potatoes, loads of stuffing, veg and lashings of gravy can't be beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I was in a pub yesterday afternoon and wandered over to the carvery to have a look.
    It looked rank to be honest but the queue of patrons waiting to get the food piled up on their plates is testimony to its popularity.

Mind you, they probably saw me getting my sandwich and thought I was an awful muck savage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Coachman's, near Dublin Airport and The Halfway House on the N3..

Two of the best..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

It mainly attracts gaa people for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

A carvery needs to be busy to produce good food..problem is when a carvery is not busy food over heats and gets dried up..total shoite !

What does The Bisque deduce from this ?

If you MUSTuse a carvery ..go to one that is BUSY..you have a reasonable chance of edible nosh.

I pass on this bit of sage advice absolutely free !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I can cook a full roast dinner for the same money as a good carvery, and it'll be nicer.

In saying that though, I was fond of them when young and hungover. Lots of people eat them because they like a big dinner without the expense of a restaurant or the hassle of cooking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

crazygeryy wrote: »
    It mainly attracts gaa people for some reason.

Ha ha another cut at GAA man ! What's not to like about a fella walking into an eatin house in a pair of Farrah trousers and a Gambicci sweater and lookin for a feed.?

Racist undertones in your post pal that have no place in this forum.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Did you really have to quote my op, its quite obvious its me you are referring to.
    Did you really have to start a carvery thread? Although, I suppose it's been a few months since the last one. I don't understand why carveries bring out such hatred in some people. It's just food, and nobody is forcing you to eat it. I'm not into it myself but others are. Just leave them to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i love a carvery.
    some places serve up dross but when you find a place or two that does quality, hold it dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Menas wrote: »
    I was in a pub yesterday afternoon and wandered over to the carvery to have a look.
    It looked rank to be honest but the queue of patrons waiting to get the food piled up on their plates is testimony to its popularity.

Mind you, they probably saw me getting my sandwich and thought I was an awful concrete junkie too.
    :)

...the Bisque...

Don't do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

personal taste.

Stormont Hotel in Belfast does a fantastic carvery. VERY expensive though.

If I want to pig out I prefer the chinese buffet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hmmm, food snobs referring to other people's dinners as muck and slop.

I like food snobs. Couldn't eat a whole one, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There's something extremely sad about caring about what other people choose to eat on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Brings back memories, haven't had one since I left Ireland around 15 years ago. Back then, it was carvery for lunch Mon-Fri, definitely don't miss them. What's the going rate now for one?

I can cook a full roast dinner for the same money as a good carvery, and it'll be nicer.

In saying that though, I was fond of them when young and hungover. Lots of people eat them because they like a big dinner without the expense of a restaurant or the hassle of cooking.

In general cooking is cheaper than buying out. It's the time that stops people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Is this a tradition or something? I honestly never heard of going to a carvery for Sunday lunch. Is this very popular? Does it only happen in some areas of the country?
    Pubs on a Sunday - grim and depressing.

In general cooking is cheaper than buying out. It's the time that stops people.

A lot of people here have too much time on their hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

'How dare anyone enjoy something I don't off with their heads snarf snarf'

Roughly translated the OP for us there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A lot of people here have too much time on their hands
    It's not time, it's being too lazy to make a dinner.

Not for me and definitely overpriced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i was sure i remembered a similar thread from recently

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »

I'll be making dinner today but damned if it's a 3 course meal. Bit of fish and veg.

If I want a full roast I would go out. Not necessarily to a carvery though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I like a carvery but I'm always stuffed to the gills after it and feel like I'm going to burst.

Having said that, on the once-in-a-blue-moon occasion I'd have one, it'd be roast turkey with ham, mash, roasties and veg with stuffing and gravy.
    Fills you up all day and is partly nutritional.
    Best off going for one early in the day when the food's still fresh.

Sam Kade wrote: »

I wasn't talking about making dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

My carvery thread was better ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057152595

I agree with you though, carverys are disgusting. Like school, prison or hospital canteen food. I have no idea why they are so popular in this part of the world. Lining up like cows to be served slop is not my idea of a nice meal out. When family members arrange outings in carvery 'restaurants', I always order soup and a roll and eat proper food when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Slop is gruel. Beef/turkey/ham, roast potatoes, stuffing and veg are not gruel.

People pretend carvery - literally just a roast dinner - is something it's not, just to sneer at people.

I'm not usually an extravagant person - except for when it comes to food and drink: happy to shell out for gourmet meals, good wine/beer/coffee... but I also enjoy food that's not fancy but is tasty, and that's what carvery is.

Azalea wrote: »
    Slop is gruel. Beef/turkey/ham, roast potatoes, stuffing and veg are not gruel.

People pretend carvery - literally just a roast dinner - is something it's not, just to sneer at people.

I'm not usually an extravagant person - except for when it comes to food and drink: happy to shell out for gourmet meals, good wine/beer/coffee... but I also enjoy food that's not fancy but is tasty, and that's what carvery is.

If I was going to go tasty not fancy, I'd go to McDonalds before a carvery.

I like it when people get defensive of their carveries!

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    If I was going to go tasty not fancy, I'd go to McDonalds before a carvery.

But isn't that because you are a misinformed snob?

Roast beef is roast beef. Roast turkey is roast turkey. Baked ham is baked ham. And carverys sell stews etc.

Most of these types of meals are not cooked to order regardless of carvery status or not. They are either kept hot in front of house (carvery) or behind the house ( restaurant). Either way you could get dried over cooked meat if you come late.

The only carvery I eat at, close to work, will cook fish to order, It's not on the front of house. That's the only way to cook fish but the other stuff goes fast enough that it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Give me carvery food any day. No comparison to salads, sandwiches, wraps, paninis or takeaways. I dont want food brought out as works of art either. Big chips stacked in 2x2 formation and squiggles of sauce around the plate. Pretentious shoite. I want to eat it not admire it.
    Wonder what OP is having today and where?

• Advertisement
Advertisement