Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol.ie email settings changed?

Options
  • 15-11-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

In the last week my iPad has stopped sending emails out. I have been using pop . iol.ie for email in and mail. Iol. Ie for the smtp.

So wonder what other iol. Ie users are using
    My broadband provider is vodafone

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

redman wrote: »
    Hi

In the last week my iPad has stopped sending emails out. I have been using pop . iol.ie for email in and mail. Iol. Ie for the smtp.

So wonder what other iol. Ie users are using
    My broadband provider is vodafone

Thanks

Change your SMTP outgoing mail server to mail.vodafone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

thanks, i tried that but it didnt work. is it working for you?

Yeah, I had it at that for a while now but I did notice that it was acting up during the week so I deleted the account and added it again.

PS I don't have an iol mailbox account but if your broadband provider is Vodafone, mail.vodafone.ie is the correct SMTP outgoing mail server setting. Check that the port is 25 and that SSL is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

I have been with IOL since they began, after many problems recently, i have changed to gmail. Works way better as apple devices prefer it.

• Advertisement

PS I don't have an iol mailbox account but if your broadband provider is Vodafone, mail.vodafone.ie is the correct SMTP outgoing mail server setting. Check that the port is 25 and that SSL is off.

ok thanks ill try that

got it working but with port 110!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

My iol.ie address got hacked. Now an outlook.com user. Much safer.

redman wrote: »
    got it working but with port 110!
    thanks

Port 110 is for incoming mail and port 25 for outgoing mail as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Wow, I didn't even know iol still existed. I used their email back in the nineties. Hah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Am still with them... But getting costly on an annual fee basis.

Starting to use Gmail more and more on new sign ups... Will have to look at gradually moving completely over in next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

There is certainly something up with outgoing mail on iol. It is reaching some addresses but not others. Cause is unclear. I couldn't find the iol.ie domain being blacklisted by spam blockers. Might be an issue with some receiving domains rejecting outdated encryption methods for ssl certs or some other backend configuration issue that BT Ireland have neglected (not entirely unsurprisingly).

Have had my iol address since the 90s but it's only really used for a couple of long standing list subscriptions. May have to finely drop it.

I also have an old eastclear address, that's just spam city though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rfhb

my Ireland on line incoming server pop.iol.ie ceased for some reason last July 2017. Cannot receive emails now but can send. Vodafone are my service provide.
    Anyone know why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

rfhb wrote: »
    my Ireland on line incoming server pop.iol.ie ceased for some reason last July 2017. Cannot receive emails now but can send. Vodafone are my service provide.
    Anyone know why ?
    Try gpo.iol.ie, still working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

xper wrote: »
    Try gpo.iol.ie, still working for me.

pop.iol.ie is gpo.iol.ie. They both point to the same servers.

Email is still working for me, and I've a few IOL addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dunsie

Do you know the current server and port settings for IOL email addresses.

I am using Outlook 2016 with internet from Vodafone. I have followed the suggestions in older posts but none seem to work. I have tried POP rather than IMAP.

Advertisement