Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosque in Westside/Traffic issues

Options
  • 15-11-2015 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭

Was waiting in the library car park in Westside recently and noticed many people making their way presumably to the mosque at about 1 pm. What I also noticed about the people going there was that they left their cars on double yellow lines and double parked each other including a big van which pushed its way onto the grass at the end of the car park and from which people collected what looked like food boxes. If an ambulance was needed there, God know what would happen. Also noticed a woman park a merc diagonally across a disabled parking space and went into mosque for about 10 minutes.

Does anyone know if this car park is monitored by anybody? It is the same in the Westside shopping centre. The double yellow lines parallel to the shops are ignored by most. And while I am at it does anybody have any experience of being caught in the disabled car spot (s?) in the corner of the Aldi car park near the post office. If you are able to get into it good luck with trying to get out of it as people just dump their cars around it and block exit. What a dreadful place to have a disabled car space.

Some people are selfish and give no consideration to others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

if its on public road ways and i think the car park at the library and the double yellows in corrib park would fall to the warden during normal hours mon - sat
    then after that call the gardai - but a bit of a waste.

westside car park church cark park and aldi car park are private and then only thing they can do is clamp. which i believe they don't do as ye all know how much ye love it.

clamping is a necessary evil that private car parks should do. Honestly anyone that takes up or block a wheelchair bay that does not display their valid badge should have the car lifted and crushed.
    double yellows should be just clamped.
    and for those that give out about clamping - if you park properly and legally you should have nought to worry about with the exception of those places that operate a timelimit or not alowed to leave complex etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring city council and ask who enforces parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bobbyss wrote: »

So you are saying that people whom park at Mosques are just as bad as people whom part at Churches ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

So you are saying that people whom park at Mosques are just as bad as people whom part at Churches ???

GerardKeating,

People who park on double yellows/double park/ (illegally) park in disabled spaces are selfish and inconsiderate.

As per my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The building referred to is a community centre, not a mosque.

Your post is pretty disguising with very obvious anti-religious innuendo.

The fact that you take time to write an inflammatory post like that and then claim that its about double yellow lines is just laughable.

• Advertisement

buzz11 wrote: »
    The building referred to is a community centre, not a mosque.

Your post is pretty disguising with very obvious anti-religious innuendo.

The fact that you take time to write an inflammatory post like that and then claim that its about double yellow lines is just laughable.

What a truly disgusting and ignorant thing to say.

What is your opinion on people parking on double yellow lines, double parking and people illegally using disabled spaces?

What is your opinion on the tightness of the disabled parking space(s) in Aldi beside the Post Office?

What is your opinion on parallel parking beside the shops in the Westside Shopping Centre?

If you have any opinions on the above questions, please share. Accusing a poster of anti-religious innueudo is unhelpful and does not contribute to the kind of debate I wish to engage in.

Thank you but no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

GerardKeating,

People who park on double yellows/double park/ (illegally) park in disabled spaces are selfish and inconsiderate.

As per my post.

Then why did you feel the need to highlight the offends were going to a Mosque?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was waiting in the library car park in Westside recently and noticed many people making their way presumably to the mosque at about 1 pm. What I also noticed about the people going there was that they left their cars on double yellow lines and double parked each other including a big van which pushed its way onto the grass at the end of the car park and from which people collected what looked like food boxes. If an ambulance was needed there, God know what would happen. Also noticed a woman park a merc diagonally across a disabled parking space and went into mosque for about 10 minutes.

Does anyone know if this car park is monitored by anybody? It is the same in the Westside shopping centre. The double yellow lines parallel to the shops are ignored by most. And while I am at it does anybody have any experience of being caught in the disabled car spot (s?) in the corner of the Aldi car park near the post office. If you are able to get into it good luck with trying to get out of it as people just dump their cars around it and block exit. What a dreadful place to have a disabled car space.

When did Westside get a Mosque?

Then why did you feel the need to highlight the offends were going to a Mosque?

There are a number of parking spots at the side of the library car park. Not many, perhaps about two or three. After which there are yellow lines going down towards the main road.

I saw these yellow lines being taken over by cars; all the occupants of which went into the mosque/prayer room in the community centre. Mostly men but I did notice a young woman as well, perhaps the daughter of one of the men. A van pulled up and drove onto the grass and unstocked boxes-looked like food. Woman pulled sideways in a merc into a disabled parking spot and went to centre/mosque. She had no blue disabled card. After about 10 minutes she came out and I opened my car door and said 'Excuse me, that is a disabled spot'. She looked at me and acknowledged that.

The reason I highlighted the offenders going to mosque/prayer is because
    all of the occupants of the cars parked on double yellow lines (two cars double parked each other),
    the van occupants parked on the grass were part of this group (although I did not see them go into prayer) as they seemed to be distributing food to the others
    and finally the merc driver

all went into the prayer room. I saw them all. Friday seems to be prayer day. It would be interesting to see if other days about that time whether there is similar activity.

The time and day does not seem to matter to similiar illegal activity in the shopping centre as that is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So basically you're saying that a bunch of people who pray together in Westside have learned from the local population that parking rules don't apply outside churches?

• Advertisement

Yeah, all the "holy" places has parking offenders. Presentation church has this too on Sundays.

The attendants should be able to park at Dunnes instead.
    I suppose you could go in and speak to the imam.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

A pet hate of mine is blue disabled card holders using said card when not with or waiting for the disabled person the card was issued for.

These people should understand more that most the value of these spaces for genuine users.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,626 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You wanna come up here to Derry, total disregard for disabled parking spaces.
    I could take photos of an example every single hour of every day.
    But the problem is zero enforcement, if people got booked, they'd not do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

So basically you're saying that a bunch of people who pray together in Westside have learned from the local population that parking rules don't apply outside churches?

When I saw the OP I thought it must be something like the Novena only it only happens once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That's what I call successful integration!

biko wrote: »
    Yeah, all the "holy" places has parking offenders. Presentation church has this too on Sundays.

The attendants should be able to park at Dunnes instead.
    I suppose you could go in and speak to the imam.

I didn't know presentation was like that on Sundays. I don't see cars in the (empty) bus stops at cathederal on Sundays. Rules are rules. Do parking attendants work on a sunday? I think they do on a friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I didn't know presentation was like that on Sundays. ..
    Really? The Council put up signs there basically authorising dbl yll & footpath parking when there is a religious service on. Also it is next to two schools which means a park anywhere zone.
    Have you considered asking the Council why they are turning a blind eye towards their policy of "we do not condone, encourage, endorse illegal parking and in particular footpath parking as it damages the footpath"?

People park willy-nilly outside Presentation on Sundays but the church is small and the congregation even smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rules are rules.

You're not from around here, are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Go outside pretty much any church in Ireland on a Sunday and see inconsiderate and dangerous parking behaviour. As Mrs OBumble alludes to 'rules are rules' until its to do with parking outside a place of worship

• Advertisement

The disabled space in Aldi is a joke. Once I had to ask a chap who had no blue card to vacate. He did but he only went into the space beside it which I don't think is a disabled spot. In any event it made the situation worse as I had to reverse in and he parked his own car so tightly I had only inches to spare. Worse still is trying to exit. It is so tight that it is not worthwhile using it in the first place. Dreadful

Parking attendants presumably (?) don't work on Sundays so people can park on yellows near churches and I did hear that one day a week they don't work in G Shopping Centre but i don't know how true that is or which day.

Aye, Sundays are a free-for-all pretty much as the traffic volume is low.
    However, Fridays are still busy and if the parking outside the mosque is an issue then speak to the imam (congregation leader). He can then address this with his attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

rebel_scum.jpg

Advertisement