Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would recent events in France affect your decision to attend Euro2016?

• 15-11-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, would you be worried about travelling to the Euro's next summer?

I think if I was planning it, I still would. There will be heavy security and chances of getting hurt are probably very small, although I am sure that recent events will have put fear into some folk.

Comments

Not in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If something were to happen again it would definitely make me think twice about going. It depends where Ireland get based too, if it were Paris I'd say it could effect some peoples decision to go. I said previously that if we beat Bosnia I'd be booking France on Tuesday morning, but with recent events I'll have to think about it a bit more at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nope. You never let them win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You'd imagine the French will go overboard with security measures after this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nope. You never let them win.

There's a bit of this for sure, but it's also not a sentiment worth dying for at the same time.

I'd say its a given that there will be attempts to commit acts of terrorism this summer in France. Security will be high though so you would like to hope things can be kept under control. But I dunno how much confidence I'd say that with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I was thinking of bringing my son. I won't be going now. I'd slightly be on edge if I went so will just watch it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't really get the attitude of not going. The percentage chance of dying in a road accident are far higher than in a terrorist attack. Will the same people not get into cars anymore?

Augme wrote: »
    I don't really get the attitude of not going. The percentage chance of dying in a road accident are far higher than in a traffic accident. Will the same people not get into cars anymore?

There's a better chance of you being murdered than dying in a car accident

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have tickets for a match, I will be going. I used to live in Paris and I'd be more scared of getting attacked by the police than the terrorists.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I'm cycling to france for the euros next year and my plans won't be changing unless something else happens between now and then. The recent events have made me think about it a bit more but tbh I'd feel safer in France next year than i would in Russia or Qatar for the next few tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Although i'd be slightly more weary, because no doubt the Euros will definitely be targeted, i'd still go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Events tomorrow night in Dublin will have more of a bearing for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I don't really get the attitude of not going. The percentage chance of dying in a road accident are far higher than in a terrorist attack. Will the same people not get into cars anymore?

I'm sure that you are more likely to die going to the Euros in France than in a road accident. Granted, the odds for both are so miniscule it's not worth worrying about.

The heightened security would be more of a deterrent for me than the fear of dying. All those queues....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The answer I always think of straight away when faced with questions like this, and would I travel to Tunisia etc or any place that has been targeted, or will be a high value target for terrorism is no of course I won't let it affect me. They win if they intimidate you to the point where you don't live your life as you choose, they want you to be too afraid to go to places so that the places in turn become more insular and easier to get a foothold in. If I was still young free and single there is no way an attack like what happened a couple of days ago would put me off going somewhere.

The waters get a bit more muddied when you get older, have a partner and maybe kids as I do, I would certainly still instinctually say they will not come in to my mind when I decide holidays/event to go to, but maybe they will if it comes down to it as I would not just be placing myself in any potential danger, but my family also and that I would not be so blase with that. Though it would sicken me to feel like I was contributing to them winning, my own family will always come first for me so I feel it would probably factor into the decision these days.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I don't think of it in terms of them winning or not letting them win.

Thousands died in a conflict on this island, many at the hands of terrorists, in shorting and bombings that happened on the streets of Dublin, Belfast, Derry, even internal conflicts in Cork and so on. And we all just got on with things, people travelled around Belfast, people went to matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Dont think it would put people off, I can see scumbags like the EDL and other Far Right European groups latching onto the Occasion though

Because you won't be doing it INSTEAD of travelling in a car, but in ADDITION to. If you eat a mushroom you found in the woods there is a chance it will be poisoned, now you are eating a second, different mushroom, that also might be poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

The percentage chance of dying in a road accident are far higher than in a terrorist attack. Will the same people not get into cars anymore?

The chance of dying in a road accident is always roughly the same where as the chance of dying in a terrorist attack in France has increased. If the risk of something increases then naturally the number of people worried about that risk will also increase.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    The chance of dying in a road accident is always roughly the same where as the chance of dying in a terrorist attack in France has increased. If the risk of something increases then naturally the number of people worried about that risk will also increase.

But I think perspective is needed. The risk has gone from negligible to maybe slightly less than negligible, the chance of dying is still extremely remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Security will be high at venues, fan zones, transport etc.

And there will be a major visible police presence on the streets.

But that being said some nut with a suicide vest could walk into a bar, shop, supermarket etc in a host city on match day and cause carnage.

Friday's events would make me far more conscious about my soroundings if I were at a game in France, but it would not necessarily deter me from traveling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was living in Birmingham for the 7/7 bombs, there was fair level of histeria, including the centre of Brum being evacuated, I hope some people don't get too histerical. I remember one Italian couple wouldn't stay with us because I couldn't guarantee there wasn't a bomb in the room, idiots, someone else said there was a terrorist in their room due to a key mix up, idiot. Even if a bomb went off in the same stadium you are in, there's still fack all chance of you being killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm cycling to france for the euros next year and my plans won't be changing unless something else happens between now and then. The recent events have made me think about it a bit more but tbh I'd feel safer in France next year than i would in Russia or Qatar for the next few tournaments.

how will you keep the bike dry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Even if a bomb went off in the same stadium you are in, there's still fack all chance of you being killed.

:confused:

well there is if you're within the vicinity of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it's just a natural thing to be a bit more wary of it. I don't think the whole 'you're more likely to be killed in a car accident, place carsh etc etc' really matters either, Terrorists targeted Paris on purpose so it's not a fluke like accidents. Me personally, I would feel a bit wary about going, that doesn't mean I'm being hysterical or anything like that or buying into all the hysteria, it just seems mentally a big event would be a possible target. It's only human to be a bit worried, no matter how people try and lay down that you shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was at the first international sports event in the US after 9/11 which was the F1 grand prix in Indianapolis, given what had happened 2 weeks before the event, it was seen as a terrorist target - remember hearing that a plane could be crashed into the venue where around 175,000 were, but the US military was making sure the skies were safe, and I don't think anyone was thinking of terrorism, but rather having a good time.

The thing is what happened in Paris is more serious than what happened on 9/11, what I mean is, one can#t increase security the way one can make plane travel more safe. What happened on Friday happened unknown to authorities, they were expecting an attack and we know they have stopped 7 such attacks already this year going from information the authorities provided, but they knew nothing about the Friday attacks.

The french will have a lot of armed police and maybe the army out to protect people, but a suicide bomber, an armed groups with assault rifles, there is nothing much that can be done if like Friday, it happens with the authorities not having a clue it was going to happen when it actually happens.

I won't be going as I have other plans, but I would be watching what happens in the coming months, to say no bother I would go now, is to say you would walk into the unknown. We saw the terror that exists in Paris yesterday when someone let off some fire crackers and caused panic among those who heard it and thought someone was shooting. Not to mention the French government said people should expect more attacks.
    It is not straightforward, and if you listen to what the Lebanese government said, they claim about 2% of the people who say they refugees are in fact terrorists. Look at the hundreds of thousands of refugees who entered Europe, this is war as the French have said, it looks increasingly likely that Islamic State have managed to get potentially thousands of trained operatives into Europe.
    The finals will be a target - on Friday IS brought their war against the west right to the vnue where the French President was - with claims he was the main kill target.
    So if I was to go, I would want to make sure plenty of armed police and military were around.
    I think we can expect some sort of incident to happen. They have made it clear sports events are now a real target, as are ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

I'd be more worried about bumping into some of the Northern Ireland "fans" then getting caught up in a terrorist attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Not at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I wouldnt be too sure about saying the risk of an attack at the euros is negligible. As ISIS are carrying out acts through people already citizens in the country being attacked, then it would not be farfetched to imagine the Euros is definitely a target.

They havent explained how they plan to increase measures. I was at the World Cup in Germany in 2006 and the security was very visible. I heard someone on tv talking about this yesterday and saying "well, no bags can be brought into the stadium". Well, in 2006 you couldnt bring bags into the stadium also. Your bag was taken, given a ticket and bag was kept in a container until you came out and collected it afterwards. Same at the Euros in Poland.

The problem with terrorists willing to kill themselves is that it is extremely difficult to stop. It's a terrible thing but, given the French position re bombing Raqqa and the Paris attacks, i think the Euros is sadly a sitting duck. It will affect my decision.

There's more of a chance of other major European cities being attacked than Paris now imo

The element of surprise is important for these scúmbags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You can't live your life like that. I was going to France next summer before what happened in Paris last week and those **** aren't going to stop me now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Cycling? I'm jealous. I would love to do it. What route are you taking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Not just no. Hell no.

I'm going

I'm going.

I'm totally f*ckin' going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This wouldn't affect me in the slightest, even if something did happen the chances of you being caught up in it are extremely low.

132 people were killed on Friday, which of course is extreme bad luck for them but the rest of the 12 million population where absolutely fine. So the attacks had impact on 0.0011% of the population.

Also the stadium was bombed 3 times and 0 people were killed or injured inside the stadium.

Events like Friday are shocking and terrible but they are rare and people should not let it affect their normal lives. Then the terrorists truly would win.

Like the poster earlier, Iused2likebusts, will deny his son the memories of a lifetime by experincing a finals tournament due to an irrantional fear of something that has almost zero chance of happening.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This wouldn't affect me in the slightest, even if something did happen the chances of you being caught up in it are extremely low.

132 people were killed on Friday, which of course is extreme bad luck for them but the rest of the 12 million population where absolutely fine. So the attacks had impact on 0.0011% of the population.

Also the stadium was bombed 3 times and 0 people were killed or injured inside the stadium.

Events like Friday are shocking and terrible but they are rare and people should not let it affect their normal lives. Then the terrorists truly would win.

Like the poster earlier, Iused2likebusts, will deny his son the memories of a lifetime by experincing a finals tournament due to an irrantional fear of something that has almost zero chance of happening.

No point in doing something if you are going to be on edge. It would be different if I was going by myself I'd go . Things are different when you are considering bringing a kid. My wife wouldn't be happy me bringing him either and I can see her point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No point in doing something if you are going to be on edge. It would be different if I was going by myself I'd go . Things are different when you are considering bringing a kid. My wife wouldn't be happy me bringing him either and I can see her point.

Why would you be on edge?

With that attitude you might as well never leave the house as these guys can strike anywhere.

No way to live your life in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

No. If you allow your life to be dictated by an idiot, then you sir, are the idiot.

Also these terrorist attacks happen, people get scared for a couple of weeks and security is heightened to make people feel safe eventhough it's not really possible to stop terrorist attacks and a month later everything just goes back to normal. Would 9/11 stop you getting a plane or 7/7 stop you getting a bus?

No. If you allow your life to be dictated by an idiot, then you sir, are the idiot.

Ah come on now, we make decisions all the time based on the reactions of others. There were times I'd have been very nervous to go down the Shankill Road in Belfast, or into Fatima Mansions in Dublin, because of concerns about the reaction of idiots.

I just think the risk in this case is too small for me to factor in.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why would you be on edge?

With that attitude you might as well never leave the house as these guys can strike anywhere.

No way to live your life in my opinion.

I'd have no fear in the stadium as it will be well protected. My issue would be in and around the squares where large groups of people will congregate which is a huge part of these events . Of course these guys can strike anywhere but the euros is on in a country they have attacked. They have also attacked a football game and thinge hAve gone up a notch in recent days. I don't live my life in fear I went to the world cup in Brazil when lots would say don't go it's so dangerous over there. I just feel a bit uneasy about this event so don't feel comfortable going particularly as I was considering going with my 6 year old. I understand the risk is minimal but I'd have a slight doubt in the back of my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm far more likely to drive the Camper Van into a big wall than be in a terrorist attack over there, so no.

We've had some big terror attacks in Europe in the last 20 years (Madrid, London, Paris). There's still been 10 times more deaths from Europeans being hit by Golf balls in that time frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

With every passing incident, the answer is edging that little bit closer from no to yes. How frequent and how extreme is this threat going to become and how many spheres of life is this going to grind to a halt? I'm asking that as an actual question and not a rhetorical because I do not know the answer.

• Advertisement

If football stadiums keep getting targeted of course it'll keep people away.

It's all well and good saying don't let the terrorists win but if one of these bombs is a success at a stadium all bets are off.

It's not like the provos bombing campaign. These guys want to kill as many as possible using suicide as a weapon. Impossible to stop these guys too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There's a better chance of you being murdered than dying in a car accident

That is not what he said he said terrorist attack. You can be murdered anywhere. I would go if I was to not just because I want to show them will not win but also because it is a lovely city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If anything it will make me want to go more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I think I'd be more of an idiot if I took advice about my life from someone called death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Absolutely not, I wasn't going before the attacks and I won't be going now. Lots of important LOI matches going on at that time, I'd expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How likely are we to see cancelled games in Euro2016, like tonight in Germany?

All it takes is a simple phone call or two to make a total mess of these championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Even if a bomb went off in the same stadium you are in, there's still fack all chance of you being killed.

You don't know what you are talking about! A bomb going off in a crowded place, such as a stadium. Would cause causes, one tiny piece of shrapnel is enough to kill you and they pieces of shrapnel fly in all directions

You don't know what you are talking about! A bomb going off in a crowded place, such as a stadium. Would cause causes, one tiny piece of shrapnel is enough to kill you and they pieces of shrapnel fly in all directions

Can you just look up the average death toll v attendance in stadium bombings just to disprove me, seeing as you clearly do know what your talking about?

Can you just look up the average death toll v attendance in stadium bombings just to disprove me, seeing as you clearly do know what your talking about?

Surely it would depend on explosive used or where it was placed. A big enough bomb could collapse part of a stadium for example.

The panic that would ensue if a bomb went off in a stadium could lead to mass crushing

Also, possible fires could be a factor.

Going by previous bomb to casualty ratio in a stadium is ridiculous. Previous bombs have no link to future bombs.

How many stadiums have ISIS bombed? What's your sample size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Absolutely not, I wasn't going before the attacks and I won't be going now. Lots of important LOI matches going on at that time, I'd expect

I was at the last euros and it was a nice break from LOI as Dundalk were the worst team in the league.

I'll be going to this Euros unless something drastic happens

• Advertisement
Advertisement