Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would recent events in France affect your decision to attend Euro2016?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Have any of the people arguing over the likely impact of bombs any technical knowledge of the topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CSF wrote: »
    Have any of the people arguing over the likely impact of bombs any technical knowledge of the topic?

They go bang and cause damage, bigger ones to a greater degree.

I studied engineering for 5 years at MIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Liam O wrote: »
    They go bang and cause damage, bigger ones to a greater degree.

I studied engineering for 5 years at MIT.
    indeed

and most likely (according to lads on the news over the weekend) more would be killed in a stampede after a bomb than a small bomb would cause in itsself.

If you hear of mass deaths in Saudi Arabia, its never a bomb that causes it, its just people getting trampled or crushed to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was thinking of bringing my son. I won't be going now. I'd slightly be on edge if I went so will just watch it at home.
    Augme wrote: »
    I don't really get the attitude of not going. The percentage chance of dying in a road accident are far higher than in a terrorist attack. Will the same people not get into cars anymore?
    I would agree with Iu2lb above. I was hoping to go and carry my second lad who is soccer mad but I doubt we will go now.

If I was single with only myself to answer to, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

But I don't believe I have the right to place my son in danger, even though it is a relatively small risk, or myself, for that matter, as leaving my family fatherless for a match wouldn't be a good enough return on the potential cost. There is more than my enjoyment of a match to factor into the equation.

Saying that, though, we will probably be going to France next year camping but campers wouldn't really be a high target grouping for terrorists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm going. 3 whole weeks and I cannot wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The stadiums will be grand. The fanzones and large fan gatherings would be a worry. Without doubt they will try something at this event. I reckon that they will try and cause as much disruption as possible by leaving empty suitcases and the like around the place. There isnt much of a crime in leaving a bag or a suitcase close to fanzone or near a stadium and just saying "ooops, I forgot" or somebody stole it and dumped it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

A couple more of these attacks and the whole "you cant let them win" attitude will be going arse out window. I'd be looking for proper evidence of the French tightening security before heading over there to any major event. I am 100% afraid of these fckin lunatics and i'm not ashamed to admit it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

indeed

and most likely (according to lads on the news over the weekend) more would be killed in a stampede after a bomb than a small bomb would cause in itsself.

If you hear of mass deaths in Saudi Arabia, its never a bomb that causes it, its just people getting trampled or crushed to death

It's entirely likely that was the 'plan' on Friday night. One guy with a ticket blows himself up and the other two blow themselves up amongst the evacuating hoardes outside the ground 20-30 minutes later.

Ultimately there is no way of it being 100% safe, so you have to either accept that something might happen and go or not.

Advertisement