Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't full-screen an embedded video, but can elsewhere

Options
  • 15-11-2015 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I think this has come up before, but I don't remember a specific example of the issue (maybe it's not an issue, and is instead a design choice?). For a past while now, I've been unable to maximise any embedded youtube video on boards. I always figured this was a googe/youtube thing, in order to force users to go to Youtube in order to be able to maximise an embedded video. By chance though, I was watching a video today on another site that WILL maximise on that site, but WON'T when watching through Boards.

The video is in this link, click it and you can maximise the video when it's playing. However, if I embed that same video here on Boards, it won't maximise and instead gives the usual "full screen isn't available" message.

So it would appear less so to be a google/youtube thing (given the video maximises elsewhere), and more specific to boards (as it won't maximise here). Or am I gravely mistaken (I probably am! :o)?

What I do notice however, is that if I right click the video and select "copy video url", that actual url won't embed here on boards ("there has been an error" shows up), and instead, I have to go directly to youtube to get a url that will embed here. So perhaps the two sites are using two different methods of embedding (because the different URL's don't seem to be interchangeable). Might it be that out embedding system here is a more limited method?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Using Safari on my phone & all videos on boards (including yours above) are maximising automatically when I hit 'play'. Not sure if this is helpful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have the same, it appears to be a Youtube thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Spear wrote: »
    it appears to be a Youtube thing.

If it was a Youtube thing then the video above wouldn't maximise on any site, but it does maximise on other sites (see the link). Btw I only use the desktop version of the site, so I can't speak for mobiles etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Myrddin wrote: »
    If it was a Youtube thing then the video above wouldn't maximise on any site, but it does maximise on other sites (see the link). Btw I only use the desktop version of the site, so I can't speak for mobiles etc

A bit of reading suggests it's an HTML5 thing, it expects a fullscreen iframe attribute, which doesn't seem to be there. But I'm no HTML expert by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What browser you on?

Just realised my Firefox (which is out of date) can't full screen videos on boards, but Safari can. (OSX)

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    What browser you on?

Just realised my Firefox (which is out of date) can't full screen videos on boards, but Safari can. (OSX)

I'm on the current Firefox beta, which is 43 beta 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Myrddin wrote: »
    What I do notice however, is that if I right click the video and select "copy video url", that actual url won't embed here on boards ("there has been an error" shows up), and instead, I have to go directly to youtube to get a url that will embed here. So perhaps the two sites are using two different methods of embedding (because the different URL's don't seem to be interchangeable). Might it be that out embedding system here is a more limited method?

Same on android 5.1.1 with latest chrome. I was trying to get the name of a tune, and when embed a video from mobile YouTube, get the error on touch.boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gordon wrote: »
    What browser you on?

Both Chrome & Firefox (latest versions) exhibit the same behaviour for me (can't maximise the above video through boards, but can through the other site)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

It looks like it has been done on purpose (probably driven by ad revenue) in so much as the allowFullScreen property of the iFrame object used to display youtube videos is set to false globally through the boards domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I get the same, have to go to Youtube to maximise the video. I'm on Chrome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I had no idea that this was a thing we could change, but I've asked the team if they did it, cause it's certainly not something we used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Dav wrote: »
    I had no idea that this was a thing we could change, but I've asked the team if they did it, cause it's certainly not something we used to do.

in that case, when you embed a youtube you initialise an iframe object
    that is currently being called with a number of properties for example setting the height etc
    if you add allowFullscreen ="True" at this point it will resolve the issue,
    actually if someone has an interest they can enter developer mode in chrome and modify it themselves to test.

Advertisement