Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam?

Options
  • 15-11-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey there,

Just wondering if asking for a deposit before signing a contract rings any alarm bells to anyone.
    Answered an ad in Daft, went to view the place, met the landlord.

He seemed genuine and legit and nice etc etc.
    Got a photo of his driver's license.

Agreed to pay (via bank transfer) the deposit and then he would draw up a contract for us to sign when he's next back in Dublin.

As I've only ever dealt with agents before alarm bells are ringing for me with this deposit first thing.
    The place is not cheap, and like I said he didn't want cash, sending of bank details was his idea.

I'm hoping people will tell me I'm just being paranoid here

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Hey there,

Just wondering if asking for a deposit before signing a contract rings any alarm bells to anyone.
    Answered an ad in Daft, went to view the place, met the landlord.

He seemed genuine and legit and nice etc etc.
    Got a photo of his driver's license.

Agreed to pay (via bank transfer) the deposit and then he would draw up a contract for us to sign when he's next back in Dublin.

As I've only ever dealt with agents before alarm bells are ringing for me with this deposit first thing.
    The place is not cheap, and like I said he didn't want cash, sending of bank details was his idea.

I'm hoping people will tell me I'm just being paranoid here

Cheers!

That driver's license could be very well a fake too and the fact that he says he'll draw up the contract when he's back in Dublin indicates it's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Asking for cash would raise more alarm bells for me than using bank transfer.
    The bank transfer is the best and safest way as you have proof of transaction.

That coupled with the drivers licence I'd say your ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

In two of the places I rented it was paying. Deposit first to secure the place, and then signing the lease.
    First time was cash, second time bank transfer, I felt more nervous with the cash. One than the bank transfer, to me more proof that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

have you met this person in their office? if not, make sure you do before transferring anything.
    I wouldn't transfer anything hoping to get a contract "next time he's in Dublin". it may never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AnInfiniteBlob

Thanks for all the quick replies!
    I'm felling a little more comfortable now knowing that the deposit first thing isn't THAT unusual.

have you met this person in their office? if not, make sure you do before transferring anything.
    I wouldn't transfer anything hoping to get a contract "next time he's in Dublin". it may never happen

That just won't be possible I'm afraid.
    He's not in Dublin and we have full time jobs, he's old enough to be retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

it may well be and probably is a genuine offer, don't get me wrong. however I wouldn't entertain it as it would make me feel uncomfortable. at the end of the day we are taking the risks every day, ask yourself if you're willing to take this one

Yeah I get where you're coming from, definitely had the same feeling when I posted.

However after reading about Holding Deposits on citizensinformation dot IE (I cant post links it seems):
    ..it seems like this is a fairly normal practice.

I'm going to go ahead with it, thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Yeah I get where you're coming from, definitely had the same feeling when I posted.

However after reading about Holding Deposits on citizensinformation dot IE (I cant post links it seems):
    ..it seems like this is a fairly normal practice.

I'm going to go ahead with it, thanks for all your help.

Glad that you are, and yes even estate agents ask for the deposit at the end of showing round a house now to make sure you get it before the next viewing, so few houses out there to let.
    Goodluck in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This sounds distinctly like a scam, especially the not in Dublin bit.
    Asking for cash would raise more alarm bells for me than using bank transfer.
    The bank transfer is the best and safest way as you have proof of transaction.

That coupled with the drivers licence I'd say your ok.
    Nobody sends a passport photo unsolicited.

There is no guarantee that the bank account is their bank account and that it isn't compromised.

Are you paying a holding deposit (often not refundable) or a security deposit (refundable).

Just an update:

Everything was fine.
    Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Glad to hear it Blob.....

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement