Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much iso is enough?

Options
  • 15-11-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone can help me out here,
    This is basically a camera comparison question but the main reason for upgrading (on a small scale) is for night photography, namely iso and liveview for focusing, I have a canon 350d at the moment.

The canon 1200d offers max 6400 iso whereas the 100d offers 12,800.
    Both then have iso boost which double each of these figures.

In general terms most of the features are the same, but the 100d is a better camera for a lot of reasons that I don't necessarily need, touchscreen, AF in video mode, 1 more fps etc.

So, would 6400 iso be loads for basic astrophotography, ie, more is not always better.
    There is €100 in the difference, not a lot but 25% all the same.
    Thanks, G.

Sorry, forgot to add, just shooting off a tripod, no scope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Usually it's not about Max ISO capability of the camera, but what would be highest usable ISO. And usually the image have so much noise if you shoot at Max that you delete them straight away. Personally I never went more than 1600, and 800 was my sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

Thanks for that Nerro,
    I went for the 100d but I know not to try 25,600
    well, maybe once :-)

Owning a good fast lens will eliminate the need to gon that high :) but that's another topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

F 2.8 24mm is the best I have at the moment but it's a relic from times past :)
    It's an old SLR lens that I use with an adaptor ring.
    I still think it's better than the stock 18-55mm canon lens though.

For astrophotography I don't think it really matter as you switch to manual anyway, so all the fancy autofocus features become irrelevant. And I don't think you may find a worst lens than a kit one..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

The great thing about digital is you can play around...I have tried over 20,000 ISO on my 5D Mark III and found the noise easy to remove.
    Other times on a mild night it was just plain terrible...
    Experiment with different settings.....but I do agree that around 800 ISO is quite sweet.....
    Imaging from a tripod...I would try higher ISO setting to avoid star trails if indeed that is what you want to do.....
    Good luck and clear skies!!

Advertisement