Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult packed weekend of homework

Options
  • 15-11-2015 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭

On Friday, I was given plenty of homework and I mean PLENTY! which all have to be done by tomorrow (Monday). At the same time it is extremely difficult and I haven't a clue - I listen very carefully in class in all. I have attempted a bit of each subject, do you think the teacher(s) will care that I found the homework extremely difficult as well as way too much! Please.... what do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

If you're a consistent worker and you've tried your best with it they won't mind. Just tell them the truth, that all of your teachers piled on work at the same time and you're not able to do it all within the allocated time

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawney

Would help also to be specific about what you found difficult. Telling a teacher "I didn't complete it because I found it hard" won't work in your favour, however if you can tell them what in particular you found hard about it, such as specific questions, that would help.Also some evidence that you tried to do it will help, so that it's obvious that you weren't just being lazy.
    As an ex teacher, I'd also expect my students to approach me before the work was due in, even if it was just at the start of the lesson. That looks better than waiting until the teacher asks you to hand it up.

Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dawney wrote: »
    Would help also to be specific about what you found difficult. Telling a teacher "I didn't complete it because I found it hard" won't work in your favour, however if you can tell them what in particular you found hard about it, such as specific questions, that would help.Also some evidence that you tried to do it will help, so that it's obvious that you weren't just being lazy.
    As an ex teacher, I'd also expect my students to approach me before the work was due in, even if it was just at the start of the lesson. That looks better than waiting until the teacher asks you to hand it up.

Good luck. :)

Here's my homework to show how much I was to do

Science - a revision sheet - up to 4 pages - not difficult
    Business - a question in the workbook - not difficult
    Irish - 12 reading comprehensions! - very difficult
    English - 10 PQE questions - difficult
    Geography - a revision sheet - up to 4 pages - not difficult
    French - a postcard question - not difficult
    History - Q6 exam paper question - kind of difficult and very long

I find it extremely unfair about the Irish in particular. I did btw ask him for help but so did everybody else - so I barely got to ask for help whilst I was stressing! :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Attempt everything, then approach your yearhead and ask if there's any way your teachers can co-ordinate a bit better so that they can avoid giving a particularly heavy workload on a given weekend.
    Stop stressing yourself out, it's only homework so as mentioned above, just make a fair attempt at the three subjects you consider more difficult first, then move on to the easier stuff.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Attempt everything, then approach your yearhead and ask if there's any way your teachers can co-ordinate a bit better so that they can avoid giving a particularly heavy workload on a given weekend.
    Stop stressing yourself out, it's only homework so as mentioned above, just make a fair attempt at the three subjects you consider more difficult first, then move on to the easier stuff.

Agreed, definitely have a go at it all, try to answer as best you can. If you're finding it tough, you can be sure that others are too so don't stress yourself out about it.

If at all possible, try and get your homework done the evening that you're given it, even if it's not due for a few days. That will help when you suddenly get given lots at once like this weekend. I imagine that maybe one or two of these home works were given before Friday? Maybe I'm wrong, and if so then your teachers really should talk to each other to make sure that you're not being overloaded. We used to have a homework schedule so that I could only issue homework on specific days for specific classes to avoid situations like these.

If you're really struggling talk to your parents too and show them what you've been given to do. Maybe they could help, or they could speak to your school about the volume of work given.

• Advertisement

Dawney wrote: »
    Agreed, definitely have a go at it all, try to answer as best you can. If you're finding it tough, you can be sure that others are too so don't stress yourself out about it.

If at all possible, try and get your homework done the evening that you're given it, even if it's not due for a few days. That will help when you suddenly get given lots at once like this weekend. I imagine that maybe one or two of these home works were given before Friday? Maybe I'm wrong, and if so then your teachers really should talk to each other to make sure that you're not being overloaded. We used to have a homework schedule so that I could only issue homework on specific days for specific classes to avoid situations like these.

If you're really struggling talk to your parents too and show them what you've been given to do. Maybe they could help, or they could speak to your school about the volume of work given.

No, they were all given out on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

12 exam-style Irish comprehensions given on Friday and all due for Monday?!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, they were all given out on Friday

Ouch, that is bad then. Do the best you can and talk to you parents/teacher. Hopefully they'll realise that you've been given way too much and the same situation won't happen again.

emersyn wrote: »
    12 exam-style Irish comprehensions given on Friday and all due for Monday?!

Yep

Advertisement