Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychology through Science?

• 15-11-2015 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm a Leaving Cert student hoping to study Psychology and 500 points is a big ask...
    I was looking at Psych through science as its lower points and I quite like Biology but I'm doing OL maths and while I do fairly well in it I don't know how much I'd like to study maths at university.

How does (or does it at all) differ from the arts course bar the different subjects.
    What are job prospects like for psych in general?
    Also is there anyone doing this course who would recommend it/anything to say about it?

Hope I can get some answers, Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

TheBiz wrote: »
    I was looking at Psych through science as its lower points and I quite like Biology but I'm doing OL maths and while I do fairly well in it I don't know how much I'd like to study maths at university.

How does (or does it at all) differ from the arts course bar the different subjects.
    What are job prospects like for psych in general?
    Also is there anyone doing this course who would recommend it/anything to say about it?

Hope I can get some answers, Thanks!

The big difference is that it's a year longer. Also, I *think* you're awarded a BSc as opposed to a BA at the end. Unless you have a head for the sciences (and I don't know if you can know that just doing Biology), I wouldn't recommend this route. You have to do 4 subjects in your first year (Maths is mandatory) and two in the second along with Psychology so if Science isn't your strong suit, you're going to be in over your head. Maybe email the Psychology lecturers and ask them what you would need grades-wise to be in with a high chance of being offered a place on the course in the second year if you were to go down the Arts route. I don't think it's insanely high seeing as not everyone that would be eligible to go into second year will take it. I started in Psych through Science and hated Psychology. So did two others on the course. It's definitely do-able to be successful going down the Arts route.

As for jobs prospects, I think for the most part the people I knew from the course are gainfully employed and that's without having Masters or PhDs.

Hope I've been of some help to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

The big difference is that it's a year longer. Also, I *think* you're awarded a BSc as opposed to a BA at the end. Unless you have a head for the sciences (and I don't know if you can know that just doing Biology), I wouldn't recommend this route. You have to do 4 subjects in your first year (Maths is mandatory) and two in the second along with Psychology so if Science isn't your strong suit, you're going to be in over your head. Maybe email the Psychology lecturers and ask them what you would need grades-wise to be in with a high chance of being offered a place on the course in the second year if you were to go down the Arts route. I don't think it's insanely high seeing as not everyone that would be eligible to go into second year will take it. I started in Psych through Science and hated Psychology. So did two others on the course. It's definitely do-able to be successful going down the Arts route.

As for jobs prospects, I think for the most part the people I knew from the course are gainfully employed and that's without having Masters or PhDs.

Hope I've been of some help to you!

Thanks, I think I would be much better suited for Arts. Although I do well in Biology, that is just learning off and understanding basic(ish) concepts, no real maths involved so considering the volume of other science subjects I will need to do I think psych through science is a no go.
    Thanks again for the reply, definitely helped figure it all out!

Advertisement