Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance Turners Cross/Ballyphehane

Options
  • 15-11-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Has anyone bought a house in these areas in the last few years? I'm looking at a few but every online house insurance site is refusing a quote due to subsidence issues.

Anyone have this issue before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 daddyd

Could you talk to people living in the area and see who they have house insurance with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Subsidence CAN be an issue in many parts of Cork city southside. Obviously, you'd get an in-depth engineer's report, specifically dealing with subsidence.

Re. insurance, you'll get house insurance easily enough, but you're unlikely to have subsidence cover included - hence the need for a really good engineer's survey/report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

blindsider wrote: »
    Subsidence CAN be an issue in many parts of Cork city southside. Obviously, you'd get an in-depth engineer's report, specifically dealing with subsidence.

Re. insurance, you'll get house insurance easily enough, but you're unlikely to have subsidence cover included - hence the need for a really good engineer's survey/report

I'm not sure that's tallying with my experience this week. I've contacted both FBD and 123.ie for a quote on two properties, one in ballyhehane and one in turners cross, both refused to provide a quote on either address, stating subsidence risk as the refusal reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Go to a broker. In situations like this they are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I had the same problem and dealt with O Learys on the South Mall, they were excellent, it is hard to get cover.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Can I ask how much you ended up paying ?

sozbox wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's tallying with my experience this week. I've contacted both FBD and 123.ie for a quote on two properties, one in ballyhehane and one in turners cross, both refused to provide a quote on either address, stating subsidence risk as the refusal reason.

Fair enough - also try O'Mahony Boylan Golden in Parnell Place - they're very good!

(I have no connection to them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

mcko wrote: »
    I had the same problem and dealt with O Learys on the South Mall, they were excellent, it is hard to get cover.
    blindsider wrote: »
    Fair enough - also try O'Mahony Boylan Golden in Parnell Place - they're very good!

(I have no connection to them.)

That would be an interesting comparison, as O Learys own the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eillib

Not easy to get insurance in this area. Went to McCarthy Brokers in South Mall. Zurich accepted me (subsidence not included) €515.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Sorry for late reply, I think about 600 off hand its pretty hard to get subsidence cover.

kub wrote: »
    That would be an interesting comparison, as O Learys own the latter.

EGGZACKLY!!!:D

Yeah Zurich will quote no problem without subsidence, coming in around €450.

With subsidence they want an engineers report but say a quote could be up to €1000. Might be a stick to beat down the price or I might just give up on those areas altogether.

Spoke to someone in ballyhehane who had subsidence issues, underpinning cost €50k and the insurance premium went up to €1100/year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My parents had a similar issue a couple of years ago in a neighbouring suburb and the only ones who would quote were Allianz. They're with them since, subsidence cover included, and the premium is pretty reasonable. That was through PTSB, might be worth a go if you haven't encountered Allianz already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

sozbox wrote: »
    Has anyone bought a house in these areas in the last few years? I'm looking at a few but every online house insurance site is refusing a quote due to subsidence issues.

Anyone have this issue before?

Hi Sozbox,

My name is Helen from Bank of Ireland, we have a talk to forum here and just noticed your post.

We’d be happy to offer you a quote for your Home Insurance, even if your area has a higher risk of subsidence.

So why not stop by and we’d be happy to have a chat with you.

Cheers
    Helen

Advertisement