Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM AZ

Options
  • 15-11-2015 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

McCrystal off the bike in 5h 21 ish. Another IM record on the cards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

1.02 swim
    and looks better than in barcelona running after 4 miles .
    no wind and a bit of rain now so great conditons ( but there is some nasty hills in tht run )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wrong forum Peter ;)

Forgot to check in on him. Interesting to see if he holds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willo2011

8:30:50. New Irish record. Bike split was comparable with Jordan Rapp, Tj Tollakson etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see Owen Martin won his AG too in 9:03 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

Fantastic results from Bryan and Owen, especially when you consider they have both raced IM events in the last 5/6 weeks.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Impressive performance by both. That will be a tough record to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Impressive performance by both. That will be a tough record to beat.

Assuming Gavin Noble stays retired and Bryan Keane sticks to ITU - is there anyone besides Kevin Thornton who could give this a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Cracking performances by both lads. i'd hazard a guess BMC will aim for Kona qualification next year. 12th in a big pro field is seriously impressive.
    So for anybody whoever in doubt...its all about the bike huh..:)..2 lads very similar on swim and run with BMC 31 mins faster. 4.47 v 4.16. ..jaysis.

Cracking performances by both lads. i'd hazard a guess BMC will aim for Kona qualification next year. 12th in a big pro field is seriously impressive.
    So for anybody whoever in doubt...its all about the bike huh..:)..2 lads very similar on swim and run with BMC 31 mins faster. 4.47 v 4.16. ..jaysis.
    but of of curse you could say winner cycles the same time and is 32 min faster ...(and with bmc having almost made it in the most competive sport in the world which is soccer showes there is serious talent which is likley closer to the winner than your comparasion- owen is where he is by many many years of hard work, not talent )

but it certainly says if you cycle really well you can have the other 2 at average ( and in a way rinny shwoes the same for being dominant in the ironman run )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

catweazle wrote: »
    Assuming Gavin Noble stays retired and Bryan Keane sticks to ITU - is there anyone besides Kevin Thornton who could give this a shot

KT is an unknown at the full so hard to say how he'd stack up but likely race one in the next yr or so I'd expect so hopefully see then.
    Also BMC is a stronger biker - Starky had 10mins on KT at Texas 70.3 last week. Starky had 12mins on BMC over twice the distance. Granted KT will take back 10+ mins on swim alone though so indeed be interesting.
    BK is perhaps gonna give this a shot soon though you'd imagine will go 70.3 first of all a yr or so - once Rio out of the way I'm sure. Again unproven at the distance.

It's a very good record now at 8:30, on a fast course.

You'd need a fast course, a sub 60 swimmer and a 3:00 or close to run as well as a top biker just not quite of BMC league as let's face it he's head and shoulders above anyone in Ireland and seen by fact he's top pro level bike splits.

And you'd need everything to go right.

Pro's generally have shorter transitions than Age Groupers also so likely best chance will be from another Pro in the future.
    Robbie Wade perhaps if he goes long. Though his racing this yr has been hit and miss.

There's only maybe 4 or 5 courses to race to even have a shot at it - those with sub 8 win times to their name.
    Not sure who is planning to go long next yr that may be able to give it a shot.

I'm not sure BMC wants to qualy for Kona as pro. Had thought similar but then looked at Pro qualy sys. Very hard. Top 40, average 4,000 points needed to get there. Problem is I think Arizona was a P-2000 race which means BMC got all of 85 points for 12th!
    Top 5 races count and can be max of 3 ironman's or 3 70.3's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Fazz wrote: »

I'm not sure BMC wants to qualy for Kona as pro. Had thought similar but then looked at Pro qualy sys. Very hard. Top 40, average 4,000 points needed to get there. Problem is I think Arizona was a P-2000 race which means BMC got all of 85 points for 12th!
    Top 5 races count and can be max of 3 ironman's or 3 70.3's.

Maybe his result will help convince him he has a shot if he chooses better scoring races. Fraser Cartmell qualified this year and id hazard a guess there is not much difference between the two?

Maybe his result will help convince him he has a shot if he chooses better scoring races. Fraser Cartmell qualified this year and id hazard a guess there is not much difference between the two?

Yep good point.

Cartmell qualified largely through doing some less competitive races and placing well - IM UK & UK 70.3 his regular podiums it seems.

To qualify for Kona as a pro, you need to be getting top 5 in a couple ironmans if not top 3.
    BMC certainly could if he chose the right races - unfortunately Barce and Arizona netted him little points to count towards '16 Kona.
    So he'd have to race another 1 or more likely 2 ironmans (more points to 70.3) within the next 9 months as well as place well in 3-4 70.3's.
    That's a hell of a toll, and to race Kona then as well in a more battered state than the top guys.

As you say, he'd need to focus entirely on it and try get a couple good early races in. Wales is one of the first to count in prev yr but that's done now.
    It may be wiser to look towards 2017 and start campaign off end of this yr at IM Wales.

Who know's if he has further bike ambitions or prefers to mix it in both or will go all for triathlon.
    In his shoes, I'd likely look at doing same again next yr but starting for a Kona campaign once races open up in Sept towards 2017.

a guess there is not much difference between the two?[/QUOTE]
    Suddenly it's all about the swim again ;-)
    i guess you are right their combined bike and run would be v similar
    so 13-4 min diff in the swim

peter kern wrote: »
    Suddenly it's all about the swim again ;-)
    i guess you are right their combined bike and run would be v similar
    so 13-4 min diff in the swim

bike and run combined being v similar is largely debateable...

KT ran 1:19 in Athlone on shorter course (20.7km).
    KT ran 1:19 in dublin on flat and slightly short course (20.9km).

BMC ran 1:22 in Lost Sheep on a much harder course (21.1km).

I think we can agree BMC has a much faster bike.

But granted your point it's about the all round performance of all 3 that's for sure.
    However, against your point is a swim weapon ain't gonna get you near a record if you can't bike or run like a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

McCrystal looks like a big stocky guy in photos, you would think it would go against him on the run but he smashes it?

fraser i would think did athlone more as a fun race and was in im training .
    fraser is actually quite a strong cyclist and while not as strong as bmc, becasue of his swim gets into the pace line and thats 20 watts saved. i would wager he could do approx 4.21-23 in arizona.
    and you see while sanders weiss schildknecht are very strong cyclist when it comes to kona they are at a disadvantage as they are not in the big train bmc has seen it many times himself happening to him in 70.3 races.
    if it was a proper tt bmc would be clsoer to the top .

Fazz wrote: »
    bike and run combined being v similar is largely debateable...

KT ran 1:19 in Athlone on shorter course (20.7km).
    KT ran 1:19 in dublin on flat and slightly short course (20.9km).

BMC ran 1:22 in Lost Sheep on a much harder course (21.1km).

I think we can agree BMC has a much faster bike.

But granted your point it's about the all round performance of all 3 that's for sure.
    However, against your point is a swim weapon ain't gonna get you near a record if you can't bike or run like a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

rooneyjm wrote: »
    McCrystal looks like a big stocky guy in photos, you would think it would go against him on the run but he smashes it?

As triathletes go, he's feckin massive.

peter kern wrote: »
    fraser i would think did athlone more as a fun race and was in im training .
    fraser is actually quite a strong cyclist and while not as strong as bmc, becasue of his swim gets into the pace line and thats 20 watts saved. i would wager he could do approx 4.21-23 in arizona.
    and you see while sanders weiss schildknecht are very strong cyclist when it comes to kona they are at a disadvantage as they are not in the big train bmc has seen it many times himself happening to him in 70.3 races.
    if it was a proper tt bmc would be clsoer to the top .

Ah you were comparing Fraser with BMC.

True he seems to do the pace line a lot and take the advantage.
    Has also ran well off bike over IM so yep fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Owen Martin tweeted this out last night. A very good read and gives a nice insight in to his dedication and mindset.

Advertisement