Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more traffic chaos

Options
  • 15-11-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Via wcc the chaos they are creating in town is Insane, quays ,dunmore road ardkeen now they have closed arundle sq for a month
    Cars having to do u turns outside burger king what will they try next ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

They might try putting a qualified city planner in charge. ...theyve tried pretty much everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you should go to dublin lads, on a friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Why is it closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Whats going on down the quay?

Whats going on down the quay?

im wondering, are they gonna try put it back the way it was? sounds like theyre getting bored in the office!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Talk about timing in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Arundel square is closed for Winterval, stalls etc are being set up now.
    Quit your balling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I saw cars doing a u-turn outside Burger King because they drove down there by driving around a Road Closed sign and then were surprised to find the road closed. Idiots gotta idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Kahless wrote: »
    I saw cars doing a u-turn outside Burger King because they drove down there by driving around a Road Closed sign and then were surprised to find the road closed. Idiots gotta idiot.

good one. Just one sign, ridiculous...cowboys....I should be able to drive/park wherever I like, bloody council/NRA/Government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

obezyana wrote: »
    Why is it closed?

Winterval, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

My friend came back from London has been living there for 15 years. He went via Dublin and said if you think Dublin traffic is bad well come to London.

When he comes to Waterford he just starts laughing.

I know i get p**d off behind the car wheel at times. But we are not having it bad at all.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    My friend came back from London has been living there for 15 years. He went via Dublin and said if you think Dublin traffic is bad well come to London.

When he comes to Waterford he just starts laughing.

I know i get p**d off behind the car wheel at times. But we are not having it bad at all.

In general, he's right. If you think the chaos on Friday was bad, try getting out of London on the M25 on a Friday...

I think though what's getting to people is not the kind of traffic chaos that can't be helped due to high volume, but the fact that in many cases, the problems are deliberately created by people who seem to share one grey cell between them. There was absolutely no need for the chaos last Friday - a four year old child could have told the people in the council that if you reduce traffic from two lanes to one in three directions onto a roundabout where you then take away the inner lane, you are going to cause traffic jams.

The same with the situation on the Quay, which has demonstrably worsened the traffic situation for people trying to get around the city.

This kind of thing shows not just stupidity, but total disregard for the people of Waterford whose taxes pay these people's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I think people are being a bit harsh here. The experiment was ended early as it clearly wasn't working and I presume the people involved were dubious about it in the first place or there would have been permanent changes from the outset. If someone had asked me how would the roundabout at Ashe Road or the Hospital work, I would have been highly dubious too but they work brilliantly. The configuration at the hospital roundabout actually even stopped rat-running through Viewmount. Sometimes you have to try something new and see how it goes.

Much more lunatic, in my opinion, is the carry-on with parking out at the temporary courthouse on the Tramore Road. Jurors having their cars clamped when they aren't even allowed out to top-up their ticket without a Guard for company. Even a Judge was saying it is ridiculous to expect everyone to pay a full day's parking when the chances are they won't be selected for a jury. I can understand that you can't have free parking in town or it would be abused, but who seriously thinks anyone is parked out by the Half-way for any reason other than genuine court work / duty? Another case of fleecing motorist just because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

katydid wrote: »
    In general, he's right. If you think the chaos on Friday was bad, try getting out of London on the M25 on a Friday...

I think though what's getting to people is not the kind of traffic chaos that can't be helped due to high volume, but the fact that in many cases, the problems are deliberately created by people who seem to share one grey cell between them. There was absolutely no need for the chaos last Friday - a four year old child could have told the people in the council that if you reduce traffic from two lanes to one in three directions onto a roundabout where you then take away the inner lane, you are going to cause traffic jams.

The same with the situation on the Quay, which has demonstrably worsened the traffic situation for people trying to get around the city.

This kind of thing shows not just stupidity, but total disregard for the people of Waterford whose taxes pay these people's wages.

Don't agree with that, there was always traffic there, even if there is a slight increase in delays it is well worth it IMO to have a much nicer, safer, pedestrian/bike friendlier quay.
    We don't have a significant traffic problem in Waterford city, certainly when compared with Dublin/Galway, even the traffic in KK is worse as they don't have real alternatives for avoiding the centre.
    As always there is an undercurrent of bitching as a national sport here and people need to come to realisation that driving into the city centre will result in you being slowed down, traffic, stopped for pedestrians etc, recent complaints about a pedestrian crossing highlight the whinginess, if the crossings weren't there the complaints about trying to cross the cork road, manor street etc etc would be rife

Max Powers wrote: »
    Don't agree with that, there was always traffic there, even if there is a slight increase in delays it is well worth it IMO to have a much nicer, safer, pedestrian/bike friendlier quay.
    We don't have a significant traffic problem in Waterford city, certainly when compared with Dublin/Galway, even the traffic in KK is worse as they don't have real alternatives for avoiding the centre.
    As always there is an undercurrent of bitching as a national sport here and people need to come to realisation that driving into the city centre will result in you being slowed down, traffic, stopped for pedestrians etc, recent complaints about a pedestrian crossing highlight the whinginess, if the crossings weren't there the complaints about trying to cross the cork road, manor street etc etc would be rife
    Not better for car drivers who are stuck there at five o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon...

I don't have a problem with sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, but I have a problem anywhere they narrow two lanes into one, creating a bottleneck. Unless there is a very fast traffic flow they wish to slow down for safety reasons.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit harsh here. The experiment was ended early as it clearly wasn't working and I presume the people involved were dubious about it in the first place or there would have been permanent changes from the outset. If someone had asked me how would the roundabout at Ashe Road or the Hospital work, I would have been highly dubious too but they work brilliantly. The configuration at the hospital roundabout actually even stopped rat-running through Viewmount. Sometimes you have to try something new and see how it goes.

It was as clear as the nose on your face that bringing traffic from two lanes to one in three directions onto a roundabout, and getting rid of one lane on the roundabout would not work. You don't need a degree in town planning to work it out.

The configuration at the hospital works because they created an extra lane, not took one away. I was just coming towards the Tesco roundabout from the Williamstown one today, and noted the sign that had gone up not too long ago - a couple of years maybe - announcing the change in lanes to make the filter lane to the left at the Tesco roundabout. It was introduced to ease the flow of traffic, and it worked. Then they wanted to go BACK to one lane. THAT is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It was as clear as the nose on your face that bringing traffic from two lanes to one in three directions onto a roundabout, and getting rid of one lane on the roundabout would not work. You don't need a degree in town planning to work it out.

The configuration at the hospital works because they created an extra lane, not took one away. I was just coming towards the Tesco roundabout from the Williamstown one today, and noted the sign that had gone up not too long ago - a couple of years maybe - announcing the change in lanes to make the filter lane to the left at the Tesco roundabout. It was introduced to ease the flow of traffic, and it worked. Then they wanted to go BACK to one lane. THAT is nuts.

Leave my nose out of this!:D
    As I understand it the idea was that if traffic was slowed down it might actually clear the roundabout faster as there are many motorists, especially inexperienced and older drivers who are nervous to enter roundabouts when traffic is busy so they end up clogging up the traffic behind them.

I don't know why they picked the Tesco roundabout which seemed to be working fine to me but there should definitely be something done with the Faronshoneen roundabout to slow traffic coming off the Outer Ring Road. Fellas approach that roundabout like its a chicane on the Monte Carlo Grand Prix. There will definitely be a bad accident sooner or later and in the meantime, traffic coming from the Grange side has to approach the roundabout with extreme caution eyeing up some gob****e 50 yards off on the ORR who wants a podium position or bust.

As I said earlier, the planners tried an experiment, it didn't work and they wrapped it up early. I would prefer that they are trying than doing nothing at all.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Leave my nose out of this!:D
    As I understand it the idea was that if traffic was slowed down it might actually clear the roundabout faster as there are many motorists, especially inexperienced and older drivers who are nervous to enter roundabouts when traffic is busy so they end up clogging up the traffic behind them.

I don't know why they picked the Tesco roundabout which seemed to be working fine to me but there should definitely be something done with the Faronshoneen roundabout to slow traffic coming off the Outer Ring Road. Fellas approach that roundabout like its a chicane on the Monte Carlo Grand Prix. There will definitely be a bad accident sooner or later and in the meantime, traffic coming from the Grange side has to approach the roundabout with extreme caution eyeing up some gob****e 50 yards off on the ORR who wants a podium position or bust.

As I said earlier, the planners tried an experiment, it didn't work and they wrapped it up early. I would prefer that they are trying than doing nothing at all.
    Ah come off it. You put two lanes into one, get rid of a lane on the roundabout, and think that the occasional nervous driver getting onto the roundabout without dithering will compensate for the build up of traffic? I would rather they did nothing than did something as idiotic.

You mightn't be so blasé if you had to spend twenty minutes getting from Homebase to the KFC roundabout last Friday..

I agree that the Faranshoneen roundabout could certainly be looked at. Traffic lights at the end of the Ring Road, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Is it true that an ambulance attempting to get to the hospital got stuck there on Monday which hastened the abandonment of the 'experiment'?

And btw was there any statement made by WCC about the intention of the experiment?

I'm always saying how much more appeased the public could be if things like this were communicated clearly and deliberately in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Wait until these night lights in Ferrybank at the junction from dual carriageway to abbey road are switched on. I suspect traffic will be back to the bridge. It will also become rear end central up that hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

They didn't totally take away the new layout out by Tesco tho did they? They made the roundabout itself back to two lanes but the lead up to the roundabout is still brought into one lane from two from all directions. Last time I was out there was Monday night so maybe that's changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

cococoady wrote: »
    They didn't totally take away the new layout out by Tesco tho did they? They made the roundabout itself back to two lanes but the lead up to the roundabout is still brought into one lane from two from all directions. Last time I was out there was Monday night so maybe that's changed since.

Back to its original state completely now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not better for car drivers who are stuck there at five o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon...

I don't have a problem with sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, but I have a problem anywhere they narrow two lanes into one, creating a bottleneck. Unless there is a very fast traffic flow they wish to slow down for safety reasons.

I do believe that was one of the reasons why the quays changed though, one of the other reasons was to put off HGV's from entering the city

If you're getting delayed so much going down the quays then why not take the bypass?

Cabaal wrote: »
    I do believe that was one of the reasons why the quays changed though, one of the other reasons was to put off HGV's from entering the city

If you're getting delayed so much going down the quays then why not take the bypass?
    Go miles out of my way - out the Cork Road on a busy afternoon, and then pay a toll to get from the city centre to Ferrybank??? I'll take my chance on the Quay.

It's put off HGV's alright. And tourist buses and ordinary commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Go miles out of my way - out the Cork Road on a busy afternoon, and then pay a toll to get from the city centre to Ferrybank??? I'll take my chance on the Quay.

If you choose "to take your chance" when there are alternative routes available, and not just the bypass, give up moaning about it.

you gotta love privatisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cabaal wrote: »

It was done to force Trucks to use the bypass.
    I have made this point before but a day will come where someone will die because of an ambulance not being able to get along they quay to an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Gael23 wrote: »
    It was done to force Trucks to use the bypass.
    I have made this point before but a day will come where someone will die because of an ambulance not being able to get along they quay to an emergency.

A red herring

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

thomasm wrote: »
    Wait until these night lights in Ferrybank at the junction from dual carriageway to abbey road are switched on. I suspect traffic will be back to the bridge. It will also become rear end central up that hill
    To be fair, something needed to be done there. It was getting too hard for traffic to cross that junction to/from Abbey Road. That said, I'd have thought that a roundabout would have worked better. Rumour is that the Council went for lights as they were a cheaper option - don't know if that's true, though.

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    If you choose "to take your chance" when there are alternative routes available, and not just the bypass, give up moaning about it.

Well, sitting for twenty minutes on the Quay, or sitting for twenty minutes on the Cork Road trying to get out to the Butlerstown roundabout to get over the toll bridge to go BACK to Ferrybank may be an alternatives routes, but hardly a viable one.

Sure, there's the rat run up around Barrack's Stre et, but that's pretty stressful.You shouldn't have to sit in traffic for twenty minutes to go the short route from the Tower to Ferrybank along a straight road.

Advertisement