Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more traffic chaos

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

katydid wrote: »
    Well, sitting for twenty minutes on the Quay, or sitting for twenty minutes on the Cork Road trying to get out to the Butlerstown roundabout to get over the toll bridge to go BACK to Ferrybank may be an alternatives routes, but hardly a viable one.

Sure, there's the rat run up around Barrack's Stre et, but that's pretty stressful.You shouldn't have to sit in traffic for twenty minutes to go the short route from the Tower to Ferrybank along a straight road.

So what you want and a lot of people who are in the same camp as you is a racetrack down the Quays so you can do 60kph to your destination and damn the fact it is through the Centre of our City.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

wellboytoo wrote: »
    A red herring

This is not a red herring. The people who want to shout from the rooftops about how great the quay looks these days would like us all to believe this.

I travel the quay quite a bit and more than once I've been stuck in traffic and an ambulance comes around the corner at the Reg and can go absolutely no where. Sirens blaring but no where to go because we have to have the place looking nice.

It was by no means perfect when there were two lanes but at least there was some hope for the emergency services to get through then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Well, sitting for twenty minutes on the Quay, or sitting for twenty minutes on the Cork Road trying to get out to the Butlerstown roundabout to get over the toll bridge to go BACK to Ferrybank may be an alternatives routes, but hardly a viable one.

Sure, there's the rat run up around Barrack's Street, but that's pretty stressful.You shouldn't have to sit in traffic for twenty minutes to go the short route from the Tower to Ferrybank along a straight road.

Preferred route and alternatives with no need to go near the bypass. Trip starts at Viewmount so bypass could be an option.

I take it that the stress of going up around Barrack St. is worse than the stress of wasting 20 mins on the quay??

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It is a red herring, you can make the same assertion about O Connell street manor street or any other narrow street, the same thing can happen, the bottom line is the Quays look a million times better than they did , are much safer for we the people on foot, and the traffic management is infinitely better ie, the roundabouts have all but eliminated right turns. What you call stuck in traffic and what someone on the M50 call stuck in traffic are vastly different,

It is a red herring, you can make the same assertion about O Connell street manor street or any other narrow street, the same thing can happen, the bottom line is the Quays look a million times better than they did , are much safer for we the people on foot, and the traffic management is infinitely better ie, the roundabouts have all but eliminated right turns. What you call stuck in traffic and what someone on the M50 call stuck in traffic are vastly different,

You aren't comparing like with like at all. O'Connell Street or Manor Street are not the main route that an ambulance would be taking unless they were attending somewhere in close proximity to those streets. An ambulance would have little or no reason to be on these streets regularly. Also, I assume Manor Street is a reference to a future development as it has been single lane as long as I can remember.

There is a vast area covered the ambulance service that requires using the quay as the primary route (anywhere across the bridge). In the past this route was clearly better for that purpose (2 lanes versus 1) than it is now. That is my argument here and I don't think it can be denied or claimed as a red herring.

For what it's worth, my primary route to and from work has been improved since the new layout has come into place so I'm not arguing about the traffic situation. I do see it every morning and I'm grateful I don't have to go out to the Dunmore Road every single day any more but that wasn't the point of my issue with the new layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They can still get through if drivers are awake. I drive that road every day I work. There are always people parking here and there along the cycle lane. They don't stop traffic passing. If an ambulance is coming, drivers can also pull over for a few seconds and the ambulance will have no problem passing, just like everyone else is able to get past illegally parked cars. There is room there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

tonc76 wrote: »
    Preferred route and alternatives with no need to go near the bypass. Trip starts at Viewmount so bypass could be an option.

I take it that the stress of going up around Barrack St. is worse than the stress of wasting 20 mins on the quay??

Why would you start at Viewmount? I'm talking about going from the city centre to Ferrybank. I'd hardly go via Viewmount!

Look, the bottom line is we have a long straight road that takes you directly from one end of the town to the other. It should take a few minutes to drive along. It's wide enough for two lanes each way, to ease the flow of traffic. Instead of enforcing the use of the two lanes - i.e. ticketing and towing cars parked in the inside lane - they narrowed the lanes to one in several places. When you narrow two lanes to one, you create a bottleneck. A bottleneck causes traffic jams and a journey of three minutes can take twenty.

WHY?

So what you want and a lot of people who are in the same camp as you is a racetrack down the Quays so you can do 60kph to your destination and damn the fact it is through the Centre of our City.!

My destination IS the centre of the city. And I have no interest in using the Quay as a racetrack, simply of driving along at normal speed. I often drive it on a Sunday morning, and even with the nonsensical roundabout, it takes about five minutes. When traffic is busy, where there were once two lanes, there is now one. So the traffic in the two lanes is now doubled up into one, causing a bottleneck.

It's hardly rocket science to work out that two into one goes very slowly.

It's hardly rocket science to work out that two into one goes very slowly.

That was the whole point!

That was the whole point!

To cause traffic jams? That makes sense. They seem determined to bring Waterford city to its knees. Between sky high rates for businesses, and traffic jams, ridiculous parking prices they're doing a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think the Quay is actually more dangerous for pedestrians now because there are a hell of a lot more pedestrians taking chances and darting across the road away from pedestrian crossings and lights than there were before the work on the Quay started.

So it's not the Quay which is more dangerous to them, but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I think The Quay is hugely improved from the chaos that it was for several years in the noughties.

There is a lot more traffic on the roads these days than there was 20 or 30 years ago so comparisons to the 70's & 80's & blaming the council make no sense.

The 'CELTIC TIGER' era traffic was worse than now and the speeds some tools were doing through a busy city were ridiculous, The round-a-bouts have made it much safer for all.

To cause traffic jams? That makes sense. They seem determined to bring Waterford city to its knees. Between sky high rates for businesses, and traffic jams, ridiculous parking prices they're doing a great job.

You're being disengenuous now the verb was slowly, it was done to slow traffic down ,not create traffic jams as well you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Mmmmm jam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

deisemum wrote: »
    I think the Quay is actually more dangerous for pedestrians now because there are a hell of a lot more pedestrians taking chances and darting across the road away from pedestrian crossings and lights than there were before the work on the Quay started.

Id say you wrong in fairness; slower traffic speed, more crossing points, less cars swerving from lane to lane, less trucks, a central median, it all points to a lot safer.

this tripe again, the ambulance service was considered in new road design, im pretty sure an ambulance driver was even on this forum or in the paper saying that the new layout does not lead to additional delays when compared before. There was always traffic on the quays which may have caused ambulances to slow down. we have been over and over this with some ridiculous suggestions about a special lane down thru the car parks for ambulances being suggested incredibly.The whingers cant decide what to whine about because they havent realised that in a city centre, there is a good chance you will get caught in what even in Irish terms is not major delays.
    Can we add ambulance delays to the 'too many poles' arguement about the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

Max Powers wrote: »
    this tripe again, the ambulance service was considered in new road design, im pretty sure an ambulance driver was even on this forum or in the paper saying that the new layout does not lead to additional delays when compared before. There was always traffic on the quays which may have caused ambulances to slow down. we have been over and over this with some ridiculous suggestions about a special lane down thru the car parks for ambulances being suggested incredibly.The whingers cant decide what to whine about because they havent realised that in a city centre, there is a good chance you will get caught in what even in Irish terms is not major delays.
    Can we add ambulance delays to the 'too many poles' arguement about the quays.

if they put half the money it has cost doing up the quays into removing tolls from the bridge, they would have removed most of the traffic without all the mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

if they put half the money it has cost doing up the quays into removing tolls from the bridge, they would have removed most of the traffic without all the mess.

The thing is tho if the bypass wasn't a toll it wouldn't of been built and then people would be whinging about that. I don't agree with the toll but it's just the way it is.

Personally I think it's the traffic lights by the tower that's causing delays. I'm travelling it 5 days a week each morning when it is busy and the Quay moves until it gets to near the tower hotel. It backs up from there towards the WCFE then it's fine.

From the park side again the lights at the tower mess things up so it seems like the quays are jammed.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Id say you wrong in fairness; slower traffic speed, more crossing points, less cars swerving from lane to lane, less trucks, a central median, it all points to a lot safer.

It's been my experience that there are more people darting across the road and not at the crossings. It's because of the points you've posted that more people are chancing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Friday evening I avoided the Quays going to the Rail station, went down Bridge Street. At 20 to 4 I passed CitiVets on Matties Hill, it took me till 10 past 4 to get to the station - dropping someone off - missed the train by 10 minutes. We must have waited through 3 or 4 light changes at every set of traffic lights - and there are a lot of lights between Matties Hill and the station.

looksee wrote: »
    Friday evening I avoided the Quays going to the Rail station, went down Bridge Street. At 20 to 4 I passed CitiVets on Matties Hill, it took me till 10 past 4 to get to the station - dropping someone off - missed the train by 10 minutes. We must have waited through 3 or 4 light changes at every set of traffic lights - and there are a lot of lights between Matties Hill and the station.

That's a ridiculous amount of time to go such a small distance isn't it.

More importantly though is that I'm sure the Quay looked lovely that day and that's the most important thing in this debate

Maybe you shouldn't have avoided the Quays then. I often drive towards the bridge at 3:40, the exact time you mention, and there's minimal hold-ups. There's even been a few occasions I've got from Parnell St. all the way across the bridge without stopping! Probably won't believe me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Possibly you are correct, I made a judgment at the inner ring road roundabout on the Cork Road, and decided to go round the town, as the previous day I had gone through the Quays and been delayed. Evidently it was the wrong decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Lady Lane closed off aswell as Arundel Sq. That's plain crazy.

The Quay might have been blocked off for a while on Friday afternoon with Santa arriving at 4pm for the Winterval kick off. There are plenty of photos on social media showing some roads blocked off.

Friday evening and the start of winterval and you didn't give yourself extra time. You cant blame the new layout for that, maybe blame Santa for causing loads of people to come to the city centre.

The Quay does look absolutely lovely to be fair, this morning it was dark and the lights looked great, I especially like the way they put the lights on the central median trees and the crane. Its also a lot safer and more pedestrian friendly, less trucks etc, its great.

looksee wrote: »

to be fair that's a complaint about bridge st traffic and number of traffic lights, not the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

we need teresa mannion at exchange street junction

• Advertisement
Advertisement