Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner for 3.

Options
  • 15-11-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I usually have a turkey but this year I am considering a CROWN of Turkey. My friends tell me its very dry & tasteless. What do boardies think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Why not a roast duck? That'll do for 3 just

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I did a crown of turkey last year, was absolutely delicious as I had it in a buttermilk brine for a couple of days beforehand.
    It also depends on cooking times being very exact and not letting it sit, which Irish mammies are prone to do (mine, at least!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Turkey crown should be more moist than a full turkey really, we always do a crown and it's always delicious :) I cook it upside down for part of the time to keep the breast moist, and lash heaps of herby garlicky butter underneath the skin for flavour and succulence... ok now I'm hungry for Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

We got a turkey crown a few years back and it was better than any full turkey! Lovely and moist, loads of flavour and much less waste than other years. My mother has a mania for full turkeys though, so we've unfortunately switched back. Going to make the case for it again this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You can simmer (note simmer, not boil!) it in stock/water like you'd cook a ham or big chicken ballotine, can be done the day before as well.
    Then finish it off under the grill to crisp up a little.

As a general rule, people who give out about something being dry are giving out about the cooking style, rather than the ingredient itself. Change the cooking style (in this case, don't roast it for ever and a day) and you can have nice juicy meat.

F.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If forced to have turkey I would much rather have a crown.

Ask your friends for their cooking instructions and avoid doing the same.

I'd much rather have a big quality steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We've also had a turkey crown every year of late and have had no problems with it being dry, without having to resort to any trickery like brining etc. We simply roast it breast-down to start with and turn it over for the last bit of cooking to brown the skin, that's all, and don't over cook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For the last number of years, I've gotten bronze turkeys. I take the legs off, bone and stuff them for roasting (so, so good) then cut the back off leaving a crown which I poached in stock then brown in a big pan with butter.

A crown is no more or less moist than a full turkey - it's all down to the cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

leaving a crown which I poached in stock then brown in a big pan with butter.

Come to think of it, this is what I did rather than popping it under the grill.

Stuffed legs sound great.
    F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Crown. Big knobs of butter straight from fridge under each breast, streaky bacon over the top, foil cover 1.5 hours, foil off then for 30 mins, rest that bad boy in a 50degree oven for min 20 minutes.

Advertisement