Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mario Rosenstock Show 15th November 2015 9:30pm to 10:30pm - RTE One

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

That was just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Oh yes. Heads. Another great song. Great performance. I think they're even better live now than they were twenty years ago.

Pity Derek Murray didnt play the proper solo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Gopi

The Stunning should just play for the hour. Pure class (still!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I hope D'Arcy watches this. Even though the show is shyte, those Ray D'Arcy sketches make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I hope D'Arcy watches this. Even though the show is shyte, those Ray D'Arcy sketches make it worthwhile.

Darcy himself is painful enough himself on a Saturday night without Mario pretending to be the stuttering, mumbling, irritating bastard on Sunday night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't understand what John Creedon In Space is all about, I don't get it at all?

I think that's Amy Huberman's brother that was the newsreader. I think he's had the "Aongus special" down at the Blackrock Hair Clinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Keith is an even worse singer than I thought he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is basically a repeat of the first episode except it's Keith Duffy instead of Louis Walsh. (Only episodes i've watched)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Great show!!...never laughed soo hard...lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

newmember? wrote: »
    Great show!!...never laughed soo hard...lol:D
    No, it really wasnt, its cringe-inducing sh1te, painful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Brian Cody as Freddie Kruger - pissing ourselves laughing here!

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

newmember? wrote: »
    Great show!!...never laughed soo hard once...lol:D

Fixed your post for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

coolhull wrote: »
    Fixed your post for ya

Marios programme should be three minutes long like his adverts for that Insurance company. They are funny ads this is not.

He needs a team of writers and new characters. He should also invent chracters instead of focusing just on the same few "famous Irish celebs".

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Marios programme should be three minutes long like his adverts for that Insurance company. They are funny ads this is not.

The show would be at least 5 minutes shorter if they took out the pauses to accommodate the peels of laughter from the braying mules in the audience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

the only funny thing is that rte are paying rosenstock to broadcast this shyte

Among the lowlights of the last show, the Enda/autocue sketch distinguished itself in its laziness: Taoiseach uses outdated, "down-with-the-kids" slang and has mishap with teleprompter. Presumably they're trying to make a point at how un-hip Kenny is but instead Rosenstock himself looked hopelessly out-of-touch. This would have been stale as f*** 20 years ago. Jesus, it would barely made it onto.. *shudder*... Bull Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

Even if you could do a Marty Morrissey impression, the stupid joke is lame. Marty is an ugly man, but he's a lothario and beds a load of women, wow that's so hilarious, my sides are splitting. It's an even funnier joke over and over again! Whatever will be next, a joke about Ryan Tubridy overeating?

Even if you could do a Marty Morrissey impression, ?

Even if you could do a Marty Morrissey impression, why would you?

• Advertisement

coolhull wrote: »
    Even if you could do a Marty Morrissey impression, why would you?

sharon on the 6'1 calling bryan dobson "dobbo" was funnier than this shyte

If some RTÉ dopes were ready to pay me big money to put on a wig and be Marty Morrissey, even though I look and sound nothing like him, and had no decent written material to work with, I would do it.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/marios-bigbudget-show-loses-35000-viewers-after-one-episode-34243103.html

The Mario Rosenstock Show is failing to raise a laugh in Montrose as it struggles to fill the void left by Love/Hate.
    The comedy-sketch show, which has been made at a cost of up to €1m, according to a well-placed RTE source
    made at a cost of up to €1m

953.gif

made at a cost of up to €1m

€1m? What the actual &#£*? The show looks like it was cobbled together for pennies.

jooksavage wrote: »
    €1m? What the actual &#£*? The show looks like it was cobbled together for pennies.

"It's a very tough slot," taking on I'm a Celebrity . . . Get Me Out of Here! on UTV Ireland, said the RTE spokesman.

seriously??? thats their excuse, effin i'm a z list celebrity???

what really p*sses me off is that no gombeen in rte could see that it was criminal to put this tripe out on sunday nights....

Theres a theory that Adam Sandler films are all a big scam designed to milk Sony Pictures for all they're worth for the duration of his contact with them, thats why they're always made by the same companies with all Sandlers friends in them and have such massive budgets for such low quality product, maybe we're seeing a sad little Irish version of that here...

If that sh×te costs up to a million, it makes you wonder what a proper show would cost...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Seriously, did they sign this up for 2 years with no ideas on what the viewing figures would be...
    Asked if the station was tied into a two-year TV contract with the star, the spokesperson added: "We do not comment on the individual contracts of our talent."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/marios-bigbudget-show-loses-35000-viewers-after-one-episode-34243103.html

I'll just leave this here:
    I venture a comparison with Dermot Morgan, another talented mimic who never found a permanent vehicle for his talents at RTE. He bristles slightly at the connection, insisting: “I would never compare myself to Dermot Morgan in any way. I think we’re completely different people. I don’t know how good any of these things were, the so-called pilots that were being done for RTE by Dermot.

“Scrap Saturday only ran for a couple of years, so you can’t compare things. And Dermot went on to be an actor in Father Ted which was written entirely by Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews while I write my own stuff.”

Maybe you should stop writing your own stuff. Morgan was actually witty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Think he still does amusing slots on the radio, however it does not translate over to TV or live. I went to his first show in high hopes and was extremely bored after 10 mins. As many people have said, it's the same jokes over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Very critical bunch on here.

The Hozier sketch went over my head. Anybody care to explain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

1m to make the show. My God RTE need to investigated on this. Also in general where is the tv license fee going. Because as far as i can see its been wasted on very poor shows and overpaid chat show hosts. RTE as a station has become a total shambles and an expensive one at that. The license fee at this stage should be scraped it offers no value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Gopi

Any reference to the criticisms on Ian Dempseys radio show?

Gopi wrote: »
    Any reference to the criticisms on Ian Dempseys radio show?

not at all, dempsey is a writer for that tripe, no way is he going to play it down, dempsey is probably the most unfunny man in ireland, a real dry balls, nice fella and all but wouldnt know humpur if it slapped him in the face, and it looks like rosenstock isnt far behind him, he can do a few impressions and thats about it, imagine being one of the actors in that show, wouldnt you be awfully ashamed of yourself

I'll just leave this here:

Maybe you should stop writing your own stuff. Morgan was actually witty.

so rosenstock actually thinks he is better than morgan??? hahahahahaha!!! finally rosenstock says something i laugh at!!!

I'd love to know do RTE do any testing on their shows. Surely anyone with a brain could see this stuff is poison. He's been doing the same character's for years. He can't do alot of the one's hes doing. Coupled with that the writing is shocking.

Satire needs to be on the edge. Just because you can do a few impressions doesn't mean they will be funny. Its all about the writing and taking the mickey out of the people your doing. It doesn't have to be nasty but has to be a cutting edge to it.

RTE as i said are a shambles of a tv station. All they seem to produce these days is cookery programmes or ripped of reality tv programmes. Their sports output is dwindling by the year.

I'd love a break down on where all the license fee go's. Don't forget they get ad revenue as well. It's time someone looked into where this money is going. I wouldn't be far wrong i think it's on expenses and salaries for the employee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wasnt that Marty Morrissey Mastermind done on the gift grub months/years back? Rehashing old material. Sh*t on a stick.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Wasnt that Marty Morrissey Mastermind done on the gift grub months/years back? Rehashing old material. Sh*t on a stick.

Remember the Conor Pope bit the other night? Looked awfully like that Francis Brennan-meets-drug-dealers sketch he did in another series. Lazy stuff.

I'd love to know do RTE do any testing on their shows. Surely anyone with a brain could see this stuff is poison. He's been doing the same character's for years. He can't do alot of the one's hes doing. Coupled with that the writing is shocking.

Satire needs to be on the edge. Just because you can do a few impressions doesn't mean they will be funny. Its all about the writing and taking the mickey out of the people your doing. It doesn't have to be nasty but has to be a cutting edge to it.

RTE as i said are a shambles of a tv station. All they seem to produce these days is cookery programmes or ripped of reality tv programmes. Their sports output is dwindling by the year.

I'd love a break down on where all the license fee go's. Don't forget they get ad revenue as well. It's time someone looked into where this money is going. I wouldn't be far wrong i think it's on expenses and salaries for the employee's.

RTE is a complete joke, never mind paying the water charges its the tv licence people should be protesting, every time i turn on rte 2 there is some z lister of a fool like vogue williams doing some rubbish reality show about the leaving cert or some irrelevant nonsense, i see they now have that hateful g*b****e donal skeehan doing some reality shyte, that and cookery programmes. I will tell you where the tv licence is going, paying the likes of tubbers, darcy, joe duffy, daithi o shea and talentless fools like that big money for nothing, its obvious that most of the million it cost to produce the rosenstock crap went into rosenstocks pocket and it looks like they had about a tenner left to produce the show, awful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Rosenstock's work peaked about ten years ago on Today FM.

jezzer wrote: »
    i see they now have that hateful g*b****e donal skeehan doing some reality shyte, that and cookery programmes.
    I think they actually produce some good quality programmes, - at least compared to the tripe on a lot of other channels. But if a programme turns out to be popular they trash it to death. Donal Skehan's origional cookery series was good, but because it went down well - he's now EVERYWHERE. Same with Rachel Allen. Same with Joe Duffy, - the radio show is popular so now we have him getting a TV show. The Toy Show was milked for about 3 weeks before it was broadcast, - several radio shows in the build up and a few "past" toy shows on TV. I enjoyed "Love Hate" but they dragged the guts out of that on every chat show for months after.
    Same with Rosenstock - he did some good stuff once but it's time to move on.

RTE 2 Reality Bytes shyte is often about interesting subjects that I would sit and watch a documentary about but its always the most shallow look at the subject possible with zero research and full of cliches and worst of all Vogue Williams or some other one with connections in RTE presenting it even though they know nothing about the subject. Theres never any depth to it at all, they should watch More4 and BBC4 to see how its done.

• Advertisement

inthehat wrote: »
    I think they actually produce some good quality programmes, - at least compared to the tripe on a lot of other channels. But if a programme turns out to be popular they trash it to death. Donal Skehan's origional cookery series was good, but because it went down well - he's now EVERYWHERE. Same with Rachel Allen. Same with Joe Duffy, - the radio show is popular so now we have him getting a TV show. The Toy Show was milked for about 3 weeks before it was broadcast, - several radio shows in the build up and a few "past" toy shows on TV. I enjoyed "Love Hate" but they dragged the guts out of that on every chat show for months after.
    Same with Rosenstock - he did some good stuff once but it's time to move on.

the joe duffy liveline on tv shyte is the worst ever, as if its not bad enough auld ones rinign in to joe in the middle of the day they have to go and show it on tv??? wtf??

Joe Duffy programme tells you all you need to know about rte. Overpaid presenter been given a gig that is poison. It's all about jobs for the boys. Know someone in rte that will tell you the same. Hugh salaries and expenses. I'd say the jobs are given on who you know not what you know. Sickening organisation that needs putting to sleep. As already mentioned ten man crew needed to cover champions league when tv do it with five. Waste of money. Wonder where the extra funds from the non coverage of rugby will go. Expect more meet the macdonaghs or cooking with donal and his pals.

They have a cookery show with someone called Nevin Maguire. I actually emailed them to ask them could they make if more boring.

Joe Duffy programme tells you all you need to know about rte. Overpaid presenter been given a gig that is poison. It's all about jobs for the boys. Know someone in rte that will tell you the same. Hugh salaries and expenses. I'd say the jobs are given on who you know not what you know. Sickening organisation that needs putting to sleep. As already mentioned ten man crew needed to cover champions league when tv do it with five. Waste of money. Wonder where the extra funds from the non coverage of rugby will go. Expect more meet the macdonaghs or cooking with donal and his pals.

They have a cookery show with someone called Nevin Maguire. I actually emailed them to ask them could they make if more boring.

giving travellers their won show what the nail in the coffin for me, they need to be sold and stripped down and reinvented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

I always wondered what kind of leverage the likes of Joe Duffy, Miriam O'Callaghan, tubridy and Marian Finucan use at contract renewal time.

They can't claim BBC or Sky will be all over them to give them. If RTE were to half Joe Duffys pay next time his contract is up what better offer would he get?

We then would have the next wave of "talent" coming through, Vogue Williams, Lottie Ryan, Brian Ormonde etc... the powers that be wouldn't know talent if it hit them in the face.

It's incestuous seeing failed tv hosts being given radio gigs, charisma vacuums like Vogue Williams land a documentary series like she has.

RTE is in essence the left over sh*t they wasn't good enough to go to British TV ala Norton and Daire O'Britain. And overpaid sh*te at that. Content suffers due to this ludicrous insistence on spending majority of their budget on high salaries.

price690 wrote: »
    I always wondered what kind of leverage the likes of Joe Duffy, Miriam O'Callaghan, tubridy and Marian Finucan use at contract renewal time.

They can't claim BBC or Sky will be all over them to give them. If RTE were to half Joe Duffys pay next time his contract is up what better offer would he get?

We then would have the next wave of "talent" coming through, Vogue Williams, Lottie Ryan, Brian Ormonde etc... the powers that be wouldn't know talent if it hit them in the face.

It's incestuous seeing failed tv hosts being given radio gigs, charisma vacuums like Vogue Williams land a documentary series like she has.

RTE is in essence the left over sh*t they wasn't good enough to go to British TV ala Norton and Daire O'Britain. And overpaid sh*te at that. Content suffers due to this ludicrous insistence on spending majority of their budget on high salaries.

.....Ray Darcy is another ..... Ludicrous salary and a job for the wife as well.... and he is abysmal ....absolutely embarrassing TV. Why do we put up with this???? How do they get away with it???

Thargor wrote: »
    Vogue Williams or some other one with connections in RTE presenting it even though they know nothing about the subject.

I saw some of one of her programs the other night. It was like watching a Transition Year project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

.....Ray Darcy is another ..... Ludicrous salary and a job for the wife as well.... and he is abysmal ....absolutely embarrassing TV. Why do we put up with this???? How do they get away with it???

Darcy clearly fancied coming to RTE to avail of the cushy holidays for the same pay or maybe more.

Harder to get sacked at RTE aswell then it would be at today fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

€1m for a comedy show at RTE is a unbelievable joke. Licence Fee accountability at RTE is non-existent yet again. Disgraceful stuff from the national broadcaster.

It's just has to stop now with a public boycott of the current Licence Fee policy from the state. Reform the Licence Fee with immediate force.

They get away with it because they can. But they need stopping. Disgrace of an organisation and a shameful waste of public funds. Pure and utter gangsters. Just like the guy on earning half a million on the farming committee. Just like the people on the rehab charity fleecing etc etc. This country is a shambles. RTE are the biggest one. Gravy boat and the trimmings. Needs to be stopped.

• Advertisement

Buzzkill D'Arcy gatecrashes the wedding . lol.

Advertisement