Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will there be war?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

We will still have to get up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

There's war all the time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

French president said last night his country was attacked by an army and is now at war

Don't see how that could be made clearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Howard Roark

Aux armes, citoyens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

sup_dude wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/paris-terror-attacks/paris-terror-attacks-french-fighter-jets-strike-islamic-state-stronghold-in-syria-in-biggest-air-raid-to-date-34202844.html

It seems France has attacked an Islamic State stronghold after the attack on Paris. News is just breaking so there isn't much information on it yet but they attacked in coordination with the U.S.

I wonder if this could be the start of yet another war. A scary thought!

What do you mean will there be war? They've already been bombing the place, they're just bombing it a bit more now to make it look good for the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

There's been a war in Syria for some time, the only thing that would kick it off is if they bombed Assad, then Russia would be in and world war would follow, but atm they're bombing IS who are also at war with Assad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Already a war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

War with who? Doubt the French will start airstrikes against the Saudi's. Daesh would be territorially rolled back by any real military response (Assad loyalists have held them of to some extent while fighting the "moderates" at the same time) but thats not the issue, USA and UK don't want Assad back or Iran gaining more influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Just to be clear, I mean a World War...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Howard Roark

How could anyone possibly gather that from your original post?

• Advertisement

They obviously didn't, therefore I clarified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

And who will this war be between?

Everybody is already bombing the **** out of Syria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Who else will be on the axis side? Anyone with nuclear or a sizeable air force?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/paris-terror-attacks/paris-terror-attacks-french-fighter-jets-strike-islamic-state-stronghold-in-syria-in-biggest-air-raid-to-date-34202844.html

It seems France has attacked an Islamic State stronghold after the attack on Paris. News is just breaking so there isn't much information on it yet but they attacked in coordination with the U.S.

****in' right there will be. I have my young fellas digging trenches and filling sandbags as week speak. She's goin' round wearing a German Army parka and I'm getting up into the, attic to find my grandfathers old Lee Enfield.

just two days after the group claimed coordinated attacks in Paris that killed more than 130 people

The airstrikes were launched after terror attacks in Paris on Friday night killed 129 and wounded dozens more.

If you can't get basic details right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

this will be as a shock to you, but France has been attacking ISIS positions for the past 14 months.

this will be as a shock to you, but France has been attacking ISIS positions for the past 14 months.

Shock horror, I didn't know that at all! :eek: I may have to go sit down now and get over the shock of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It's already a war. They don't need to make an official statement saying "On November 15 at 8:14pm, a war started."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Well, the chances are that if there was a new world war, it will start off similar to WWI: Not a conscious deliberate decision to engage in a world war, but a series of massive clusterfúcks, that spin out of control and drag in allies - ending a wide-scale war.

Given the state of the Middle East at the moment, and the destabilization of Ukraine, there's every potential for further destabilization in both regions, which could end up creating that kind of a powder-keg situation.

I doubt any of us thought, 10 years ago, that Ukraine and the ME would be in the state they are now - the Arab Spring in particular, was unexpected to almost everyone - who knows what things will look like in another 10 years?

Add to this, volatile social conditions brought about through economic dysfunction - mirroring in many ways the Great Depression that led up to WWII - and you have a society divided, angry and propagandized enough, that they may be stupid/thick enough, not just to fail to avert war, but to consent to it - as has been the trend now, for a fairly long time, with regards to the ME.

So yea, there's no end in sight to the economic dysfunction here, no end in sight to the wars in the ME and continuing disintegration of parts of the region, and no end in sight to the willingness of western countries to engage in extremely geopolitically dangerous and provocative wars - everything is well set in place, for continued deterioration, and possibly later on, things may be set in place for a big enough clusterfúck to happen, that may drag a lot of countries into war.

We don't know though - anything could happen in the next 10-20 years - it's just not unrealistic, to see the above being one possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Why would the rest of the world support Isis? Who would support them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

A world war involving what combatants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

il admit.. i have thought horrible thoughts.. i am afraid of what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

You are all very sarcastic here this evening.

Anyway, yeah there will be a concerted effort against IS. There's a bigger chance of Russia sending in troops proper as oppose to France I'd say. The Russian public will want to see a proper response from Putin once terrorism is proven to be the cause of the plane disaster.

Word War? No. Also some nice boarder tightening in Europe, long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

France have already positioned their aircraft carrier, the Charles de gaulle for operations in Syria.

Shock horror, I didn't know that at all! :eek: I may have to go sit down now and get over the shock of it...

Do.... and start a thread to let us know how you are feeling ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Front line infantry
    Front line infantry .

[QUOTE=the evasion_kid;9774605 Front line infantry [/QUOTE]
    you guessed it ,..........Front line infantry .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

North Korea, skeletor, shredder and gargamel.

Seriously fuck Gargamel.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    France have already positioned their aircraft carrier, the Charles de gaulle for operations in Syria.

It will be leaving its base in Toulon on wednesday.. arrival in the Gulf will be 2-3 weeks later.

It has been in port the last couple of months stockpiling the millions of kgs of Gauloises cigarettes needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

Eh the US,who have funded them into existance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

North Korea, skeletor, shredder and gargamel.

Seriously fuck Gargamel.

Lol, skeletor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I'm guessing that Hollande will use his speech to parliament tomorrow to invoke article 5 of the NATO treaty. There is a real opportunity because of IS misjudgment: Putin is looking for payback over the airliner and there's a G20 meeting in Turkey.

There hasn't been a real war yet is the answer but I believe IS will suffer military defeat of the Caliphate as a result of the attack on Paris. I think their leadership is already running and I think some of the rats that travelled from across the EU to join them will be running home soon. I hope they are jailed for the rest of their natural lives.

If Russia and NATO join forces as they should then the Caliphate will be over.

IMO opinion the French attacks actually reduce the risk of world war, Western governments can't be seen to go easy on Daesh/ISIS now even if it means abandoning the Syrian moderates, hence likely more co-operation with Iran and Russia and less risk of a accidental attack on one anothers assets.
    South China sea is probably more of an issue.
    Love this armchair general thing :P

To be honest though people forget how big the World Wars were, First day of the Somme was 60,000 casualties for the British Army and that was one bad day for one side.
    A minor event in the scale of things in WW2, the Warsaw uprising, killed as many people as all the current Syrian war.
    The French have enough Warheads (290) to turn every city in the Middle East into a glowing pit.
    Russia and the US could burn the world (literally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I'm guessing that Hollande will use his speech to parliament tomorrow to invoke article 5 of the NATO treaty. There is a real opportunity because of IS misjudgment: Putin is looking for payback over the airliner and there's a G20 meeting in Turkey.

There hasn't been a real war yet is the answer but I believe IS will suffer military defeat of the Caliphate as a result of the attack on Paris. I think their leadership is already running and I think some of the rats that travelled from across the EU to join them will be running home soon. I hope they are jailed for the rest of their natural lives.

If Russia and NATO join forces as they should then the Caliphate will be over.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that the Paris attacks were the work of Assad Loyalists, I don't think the Martyrdom thing is their style though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Oh come on, stop being pedantic. It was quite obvious the OP meant war on a world scale. Honestly, the pettiness on here sometimes....

• Advertisement

I's 2015 and yet we're still faced the prospect of having a war over religion.

*sigh*

Oh come on, stop being pedantic. It was quite obvious the OP meant war on a world scale. Honestly, the pettiness on here sometimes....

Meh, it's AH. It's usually best just to ignore the first page or two until people get their quick shots out of the way and actually start thinking about the subject. I would imagine most people knew exactly what I meant. :p

Serious answer; if we do have a World War over this, it'll be entirely different. Usually they knew who the enemy was.. oh it's the Germans, it's the Russians, and so, but now it could be anybody. That's what makes it so scary. Invading a country no longer has the same effect, with regards to ISIS, because while they might have a primary base somewhere, they could pop up in any country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

*sigh*

Meh, I don't think it's about religion, I'd say it's about money and power, with "religion" and "religious differences" being used as the justifications. A very sturdy "Them and Us" narrative is being drawn dividing the "west" and the middle east, and no doubt there is an end game in the plan. Whether that end game is all out war remains to be seen, but stranger things have happened.

*sigh*

This is what you need to realize: the young men who committed mass murder in Paris believe it's 1350 or something. Their world started in the 7th century. That is what you are fighting.

• Advertisement

Meh, I don't think it's about religion, I'd say it's about money and power, with "religion" and "religious differences" being used as the justifications. A very sturdy "Them and Us" narrative is being drawn dividing the "west" and the middle east, and no doubt there is an end game in the plan. Whether that end game is all out war remains to be seen, but stranger things have happened.

I don't think many wars are actually about religion, just in the name of religion. It's hiding behind religion in order to act violently.

A lot of westerners find it impossible to believe that it could be about religion. For the mass murderers it is. They kill in the name of their version of Allah the all merciful. They kill Moslems who don't follow them and Jews and atheists. They are an equal opportunity mass murder outfit with the sanction of their brand of deity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why not let isis have their caliphate, then once they are all nicely settled in their new home, nuke them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Facekicking 2 The Future

Stefan Molyneux said in a video that he uploaded today it best that he can't remember a conflict in m history where the country or continent at war lets refugees in from the country that war is being waged against. Yet that is EXACTLY what is happening here. People will look back and check cemeteries for corpses with brains!

2 million young German applied for asylum in England during WW2 when England entered the war against Germany. They were denied OBVIOUSLY.

Why not the same in Europe and France? Why welcome the trojan horse in?

Why not the same in Europe and France? Why welcome the trojan horse in?

A bleeding heart will damage the parts of the brain controlling rationality.

Meh, it's AH. It's usually best just to ignore the first page or two until people get their quick shots out of the way and actually start thinking about the subject. I would imagine most people knew exactly what I meant. :p

no. A world war is best differentiated from a war by saying "world war".

In any case who go you think the belligerents would be?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I've heard the suggestion from a number of people that it if wasn't for oil. the simplest solution to the Middle East would have been to build a bloody big fence around the entire area, and tell those inside the fence to get on with it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I don't think many wars are actually about religion, just in the name of religion. It's hiding behind religion in order to act violently.

I hate that argument by the way. Let's give people who are prepared to die, as well as kill, for their beliefs the benefit of the doubt about believing in an afterlife. They probably do.

I hate that argument by the way. Let's give people who are prepared to die, as well as kill, for their beliefs the benefit of the doubt about believing in an afterlife. They probably do.

What are you talking about, and how does it relate in any way to what I said?

What are you talking about, and how does it relate in any way to what I said?

You don't seem to be able to express yourself. If you say violence isn't about religion but "hiding behind" it then you are implying that people involved are not religious but pretending to be.

I like Dawkins (I think) who said that evil men do evil by nature, but for good men to do evil you need religion.

Of course ISIS is motivated by religion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement