Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v bosnia- La Marseillaise

• 15-11-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

Sunday times reports england France friendly to go ahead Tuesday with the crowd being urged to sing LA Marseillaise, do you think we should do the same tomorrow?
    No Thierry henry contributions please
    And yes, humming is acceptable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

FWIW I say yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I love this video from 2007.

Relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

A minutes silence should be enough. Without sounding like i dont care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Suggested on Off The Ball a few times today.

Play both anthems,...get the players to stand around the centre circle, a minute silence and the blast out the french national anthem with the words on the big screen for everyone the sing.

Iirc the Irish team wore black armbands when princess Diana died!
    This is an outrage imposed on ordinary people, can we, as ordinary people not show empathy through something more tangible than a minutes silence?

• Advertisement

Following 9/11 we had a 'national day of mourning'. While acknowledging that we have close links with the US I remember it as just an unexpected long weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

No.

Politics and religion have no place in sport.

Stop forcing it down our necks!

No.

Not for the massacre in France, or Beruit, or Kenya. And not picking one of them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A large FCUK ISIS flag passed down the stand would also be a nice touch

micar wrote: »
    Suggested on Off The Ball a few times today.

Play both anthems,...get the players to stand around the centre circle, a minute silence and the blast out the french national anthem with the words on the big screen for everyone the sing.

Didn't know that! Fair enough ted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

damian139 wrote: »
    Iirc the Irish team wore black armbands when princess Diana died!
    This is an outrage imposed on ordinary people, can we, as ordinary people not show empathy through something more tangible than a minutes silence?

Black arm bands fine. Minutes silence fine. Fly the french flag at half mast etc...

A bunch of drunk irish humming or even attempting to sing the french anthem would be a massive embarrasment imo. It wouldnt be in good taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

HELL NO

Nib wrote: »
    No.

Its genocide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Really I'd like Ireland to remain as neutral as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Should we sing the Beruit and Russian ones as well? I doubt it, so I don't like the idea of giving the French one any preference.

A large FCUK ISIS flag passed down the stand would also be a nice touch

I thought there was a ban on political slogans at football matches, think Dundalk got fined heavily for a fan unveiling some Palestinian flag after a UEFA rep asked for it to be removed.

Black arm bands fine. Minutes silence fine. Fly the french flag at half mast etc...

A bunch of drunk irish humming or even attempting to sing the french anthem would be a massive embarrasment imo. It wouldnt be in good taste.

Not a bad point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CSF wrote: »
    Really I'd like Ireland to remain as neutral as possible.

For fear of upsetting those lovely ISIS lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

No

Minutes silences have been around years and up until this point have been a nice gesture without complaint, This singing of the french national anthem??? why??? where do you draw the line then, would it be suggested had the attacks been in London?? theres showing solidarity then there is creating a circus.

Like they'll be upset?

The words of the French anthem make it inappropriate anyway, even if it was being considered. It's a call to arms, refers to throats being cut etc.

It's a football match. Let's not make it a political statement. Even if everyone is horrified by events in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope, it's being acknowledged plenty of other places. Black armbands/minutes silence should be reserved for people /events strongly connected to the team.

Ok now this is becoming not at all a conversation about the match tomorrow night. There are more appropriate venues for you to air your keyboard tough guy political opinions.

major bill wrote: »
    No

Minutes silences have been around years and up until this point have been a nice gesture without complaint, This singing of the french national anthem??? why??? where do you draw the line then, would it be suggested had the attacks been in London?? theres showing solidarity then there is creating a circus.[/QUO
    Yeah, I would suggest it if the attacks had been in London

Perhaps not GSTQ obviously, but some show of support in the face of a similar attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Minute silence is enough.

The game tomorrow is massive. And I don't mean to come across as harsh, but a minute silence will go off impeccably but then it's down to business and making sure our name is in the draw for France!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

CSF wrote: »
    Ok now this is becoming not at all a conversation about the match tomorrow night. There are more appropriate venues for you to air your keyboard tough guy political opinions.

You think these animals would let us play our beautiful game if they had their say

They called a simple concert a prostitution party and butchered them for it

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nope, it's being acknowledged plenty of other places. Black armbands/minutes silence should be reserved for people /events strongly connected to the team.

Princess Diana?

You think these animals would let us play our beautiful game if they had their say

They called a simple concert a prostitution party and butchered them for it

Yup, nothing to do with the match tomorrow night or the pre-match song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Princess Diana?

I doubt she'd mind at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

do you think we should do the same tomorrow?
    No Thierry henry contributions please
    And yes, humming is acceptable.

I would encourage people to sing the Irish national anthem too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tacky.

But it would please the social media generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I think the french anthem is over the top politically. There is tragedys all the time why start playing national anthems everytime one happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tacky.

But it would please the social media generation.

good old slacktivism

nothing like it for ignoring root causes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Nib wrote: »
    No.

Politics and sport are inseparable.

Supporting an international team negates your argument, international sport is very much political.

• Advertisement

Doubt she'd mind what?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tacky.

But it would please the social media generation.[/QUO" "put em under pressure" is tacky. Still raises the hairs on the back of my neck tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

So the crowd should sing Le Marseillaise despite 99% of them not having a clue what the words to it are.

Sounds like a good idea.

So the crowd should sing Le Marseillaise despite 99% of them not having a clue what the words to it are.

Sounds like a good idea.

Explain please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Explain please?

Most people in Ireland don't speak French.So how the hell are they going to sing the French national anthem.Even if the words are up on the screen like karaoke it wouldn't work because the crowd wouldn't really know how to pronounce them properly and they'd be behind the tune trying to work out how to pronounce them.If you suggest they just shout out gibberish or hum to the sounds of Le Marseillaise then frankly that's more disrespectful to the French people than showing respect to them.

• Advertisement

Explain please?

I presume he's referring to the very violent words and message of the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Montreal last night did this in the ice

bell-centre.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

There's absolutely no sense in playing the French anthem before a game between Ireland and Bosnia-Herze.

Completely unneccessary, and to be honest, it would be quite cringeworthy. I say that as someone with close family ties to France.

Minutes silence, maybe black armbands, as a show of respect/solidarity is enough.

I presume he's referring to the very violent words and message of the song.

As opposed to the conciliatory words of 'amhran na bhfiann'?

Most people in Ireland don't speak French.So how the hell are they going to sing the French national anthem.Even if the words are up on the screen like karaoke it wouldn't work because the crowd wouldn't really know how to pronounce them properly and they'd be behind the tune trying to work out how to pronounce them.If you suggest they just shout out gibberish or hum to the sounds of Le Marseillaise then frankly that's more disrespectful to the French people than showing respect to them.

Most people in Ireland can't speak Irish. Doesn't stop them singing amhran na bhfiann.

As opposed to the conciliatory words of 'amhran na bhfiann'?

You do understand that it's our national anthem, and so it is entirely appropriate that we would sing it at games involving that very team?

This thread is about selecting one of a few countries that has suffered terribly at the hands of terrorists in recent days, and singing an anthem that means nothing to us.

Sounds like a good idea

I had to go to Celtic park, Scotland, united kingdom, to understand the words of ' amhran na bhfiann'. Not understanding it doesn't stop people singing it

You do understand that it's our national anthem, and so it is entirely appropriate that we would sing it at games involving that very team?

This thread is about selecting one of a few countries that has suffered terribly at the hands of terrorists in recent days, and singing an anthem that means nothing to us.

Your patronising response aside, yes , I do understand that its our national anthem. I also comprehend the tenet of the thread- I started it.

Your patronising response aside, yes , I do understand that its our national anthem. I also comprehend the tenet of the thread- I started it.

And I am merely pointing out what a ridiculous proposal it is.

But you can sing it away. Or indeed hum it. I wouldn't say it should be censored either, merely that the FAI should not sanction any such move IMO.

Politics and sport are inseparable.

Supporting an international team negates your argument, international sport is very much political.

Bosnia and the republic of Ireland being perfect examples

• Advertisement
Advertisement