Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v bosnia- La Marseillaise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

And I am merely pointing out what a ridiculous proposal it is.

But you can sing it away. Or indeed hum it. I wouldn't say it should be censored either, merely that the FAI should not sanction any such move IMO.

No need to get thick. Scroll back to the start. I proposed nothing. I threw my hat in the 'yes' ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

damian139 wrote: »
    No need to get thick. Scroll back to the start. I proposed nothing. I threw my hat in the 'yes' ring

Of course you proposed it, the thought would never have even occurred to most people.

No need to get defensive.

It was a ridiculous suggestion, sentiment or idea, if not a proposal.

But as I said, you can hum it.

No need to get defensive.

It was a ridiculous suggestion, sentiment or idea, if not a proposal.

But as I said, you can hum it.

Hahaha! You're easily riled. I proposed nothing, I outlined a newspaper article, and asked ' do you think' we should follow suit?

Hahaha! You're easily riled. I proposed nothing, I outlined a newspaper article, and asked ' do you think' we should follow suit?

England are playing France, we aren't. You were definitely proposing it.

CSF wrote: »
    Of course you proposed it, the thought would never have even occurred to most people.

Why wouldn't it? People are in shock! People are given to mawkish displays of sentimentality for people they don't know, we see this all the time.

Why wouldn't it? People are in shock! People are given to mawkish displays of sentimentality for people they don't know, we see this all the time.

Ok well now you've seen that the vast majority of people you've proposed it to are against it. Experiment over?

England are playing France, we aren't. You were definitely proposing it.

Nope! I raised a question. That's all. I later affirmed my thinking. I don't mind if it happens or not.

Ok well now you've seen that the vast majority of people you've proposed it to are against it. Experiment over?

Absolutely!

• Advertisement

mawkish displays of sentimentality...

At least we agree on your assessment of your own proposal. Or sentiment. Or idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'll be there tomorrow night and if someone started singing it I would join in as best I could.

I think (selfish as it may sound) I will be too concerned by events on the pitch to notice though. Horrible tragedy

At least we agree on your assessment of your own proposal. Or sentiment. Or idea.

Ooooh painful parry to the ribs. I used mawkish to refer to peoples reactions to events. My proposal/ sentiment/ idea was clearly laudable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Most people in Ireland can't speak Irish. Doesn't stop them singing amhran na bhfiann.

It's our national anthem and the people who know the words to it sing it.

The majority of people in Ireland don't even know the words to Le Marseillaise.

It's our national anthem and the people who know the words to it sing it.

The majority of people in Ireland don't even know the words to Le Marseillaise.[/
    As a matter of interest, when I started attending internationals in the 70's the words of the anthem were printed in the match day programme, so few people knew the words. I genuinely suspect the majority of the Irish people singing along tomorrow night could translate the words. Which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ooooh painful parry to the ribs. I used mawkish to refer to peoples reactions to events. My proposal/ sentiment/ idea was clearly laudable :D

No it isn't.

It's downright daft.

Did people suggest The Star Spangled Banner should have been sung at champions league matches on September 11th?

I work for a French company and I work with a number of French people and I doubt me signing the French national anthem would make them feel any better about what happened in their country on Friday night.I doubt it will be suggested by our company that we all join in and sing Le Marseillaise in work as a show of solidarity.There will probably be a minutes silence like there was for the Charlie Hebdo attacks and that the best and most respectful way of acknowledging a situation like this.

• Advertisement

No it isn't.

It's downright daft.

Did people suggest The Star Spangled Banner should have been sung at champions league matches on September 11th?

I work for a French company and I work with a number of French people and I doubt me signing the French national anthem would make them feel any better about what happened in their country on Friday night.I doubt it will be suggested by our company that we all join in and sing Le Marseillaise in work as a show of solidarity.There will probably be a minutes silence like there was for the Charlie Hebdo attacks and that the best and most respectful way of acknowledging a situation like this.

We had a ' national day of mourning' . I understand what you're saying, I just asked the question.

No it isn't.

It's downright daft.

Incidentally, my ' laudable' comment was tongue in cheek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Oat23 wrote: »
    I love this video from 2007.

Relevant.

I remember it well! Felt like there was more of us than them there.
    Unreal crowd travelled for that game, we had some craic that night !!

Armbands and minute silence would suffice tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If it is played, I will sing it as I know the words. I feel though that a minutes silence with a message on the big screen would be enough. I question how much is PR and how much is genuine solidarity? The American point is that they're empathetic towards the French, having gone through 9/11 and the war on terror, we had our troubles, so maybe it would be appropriate. My over all feeling is that it should be played as it's Ireland v Bosnia, for some of the players Euro 2016 will be the biggest stage that they will ever play on and the game should be solely about the 22 players on the pitch.

The only thing I hope is that if it played that it is done in a dignified manor with a genuine sentiment.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

When Boko Haram massacre entire villages in Nigeria nobody calls for the Nigerian anthem to be played.

I don't see why France should be any different. A moment of silence is appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I love this video from 2007.

Relevant.

Was it not 2004 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

In wembley it makes some sense. France are the guests. In Dublin not so much.

But I also don't agree with the sentiment that if you don't mourn all incidents you shouldn't mourn any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

jaykay74 wrote: »
    In wembley it makes some sense. France are the guests. In Dublin not so much.

But I also don't agree with the sentiment that if you don't mourn all incidents you shouldn't mourn any

Exactly, France are one of our closest neighbours. We share a history, culture and ideology with France. It's not right that people mourn more for 1 tragedy than another but it is only natural that Irish people are affected more by an attack on Belfast, London, Paris, Boston, New York or Madrid. These are cities we all travel too, people with a similar culture to our own.

Just my opinion. Vive la France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's a bit OTT to suggest we should sing the French national anthem when they're not actually involved in the game. If we were playing them, then that would make sense.

A minute silence is enough and the appropriate tribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Iirc the Irish team wore black armbands when princess Diana died!
    This is an outrage imposed on ordinary people, can we, as ordinary people not show empathy through something more tangible than a minutes silence?

Is this true? Can't say I remember that.
    World Cup qualifiers for 98 would have been on at the time and I really don't remember them wearing black armbands for Diana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

murpho999 wrote: »
    World Cup qualifiers for 98 would have been on at the time and I really don't remember them wearing black armbands for Diana.

She died on 31st aug 1997, and Ireland's next game was an away match in Vilnius on 10th Sept (2-1 win, Cas with both)

Here's a video.

No black armbands in sight.

So that's that disproven anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

When Boko Haram massacre entire villages in Nigeria nobody calls for the Nigerian anthem to be played.

I don't see why France should be any different. A moment of silence is appropriate.

This. As well as many other acts of terrorism and natural disasters this week alone. Why choose the French anthem over any of the others? It's a truly ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »

Think the crowd belted out 'Candle in the Wind' before kick off.

She died on 31st aug 1997, and Ireland's next game was an away match in Vilnius on 10th Sept (2-1 win, Cas with both)

Here's a video.

No black armbands in sight.

It would appear they did :-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Was it not 2004 ?

Yes, you're right. I thought it was from the Stan years, but it was under Brian Kerr that we played France away.

Just noticed while looking up the years of for Irish managers that Brian Kerr has the best win % on the list I'm looking at that goes back to 1971..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

did you watch the video or not?

None of the players are wearing them.

Well done on your graphic editing skills.

Are you working in that area or is it just a hobby ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Because France is a hell of a lot closer to home than Nigeria. It's really simple. Just like people in countries surrounding Lebanon will be more shocked (or not, given the amount of attacks Beirut has had to endure) about those bombings than about Paris. It's normal human behaviour to look close to home first.

Although I don't really see why La Marseillaise should be sung, a minute silence and black armbands would suffice I'd say. If you were playing France it'd be a different thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That wasn't the next match though, there was a friendly a few days before the WC qualifier match against Lithuania.

edit : actually a wc qualifier on the day of the funeral, definitely black armbands being worn by some.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would find it incredibly strange if La Marseillaise was played and tbh it should not be done imo. They should however have a minutes silence, with a message of support played on the big screen at the very least.

When this is done I would like if it wasn't just the attacks in Paris referenced, ISIS suicide bombings also left 43 dead and 239 woundedi n Beirut, Lebanon last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Because France is a hell of a lot closer to home than Nigeria. It's really simple. Just like people in countries surrounding Lebanon will be more shocked (or not, given the amount of attacks Beirut has had to endure) about those bombings than about Paris. It's normal human behaviour to look close to home first.

Although I don't really see why La Marseillaise should be sung, a minute silence and black armbands would suffice I'd say. If you were playing France it'd be a different thing.

I would personally say that the attacks in Lebanon would have closer links with this country,seeing as we have defense forces over there for the last how many years and an active role in that country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Didn't get a ticket for the game so I'm just gonna eat a baguette whilst watching it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

flas wrote: »
    I would personally say that the attacks in Lebanon would have closer links with this country,seeing as we have defense forces over there for the last how many years and an active role in that country!

That still doesn't matter. France is a country that probably every Irish person is familiar with.

Lebanon is 'just some Arab country' to many, a lot who probably don't know where it is.

There is nothing wrong with that sentiment either, it's human nature to be more impacted by things that happen closer to home.

That doesn't mean their casualties don't count, it's all tragic but I really don't like this idea of 'People don't care about Lebanon'. They do, just not as much as Paris.

Well done on your graphic editing skills.

Are you working in that area or is it just a hobby ?[/?

Where did I suggest the poster was wrong and that the players were, in fact, wearing armbands?
    I simply posted a link to an Irish times article which suggested that the players WOULD in fact be wearing them . is the sarcasm necessary or of any value?

• Advertisement

Ireland played Iceland on September 6 1997

Ireland played Iceland a few days earliet

Where did I suggest the poster was wrong and that the players were, in fact, wearing armbands?
    I simply posted a link to an Irish times article which suggested that the players WOULD in fact be wearing them . is the sarcasm necessary or of any value?

You posted a picture not a link.
    Thus my suspicion

You posted a picture not a link.
    Thus my suspicion[/QUOT

I didn't, that was baldy conscience

We seem very fixed on the Princess Di one.

Surely the most overt political gesture in our history was given during our tour of Germany in 1939.

Is that the 'royal' we?

• Advertisement

No, I was just clarifying. Actually I've had a complete about face, I was in the yes camp but agree with an earlier poster that it'd be undignified

You're in the wrong thread mate, this one is just for people to get inexplicably aggrieved
    PS I also am glad to have jim beglin's commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

You're in the wrong thread mate, this one is just for people to get inexplicably aggrieved
    PS I also am glad to have jim beglin's commentary

Right you are. Bit of a slip, there.

Back away slowly, the sniping will tear at your karma...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

So has this been nixed? Hop so, probably dreamed up by the "stand up in the 5th minute for Paulie" clowns. Black armbands or minutes silence or both is all thats needed

• Advertisement
Advertisement