Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing between UCD MA clubs?

• 16-11-2015 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey, all. Considering joining some clubs in UCD and would like to hear anyone's input and advice on the matter.

At the moment I am considering:
    • Lau Gar kickboxing
    • Shaolin Kung fu
    • Capoeira
    • Karate

Does anyone have any experience with these clubs, their atmosphere, how they are run, etc.? Alternatively, should I consider any different MA clubs?

Secondly, are any of these more or less suitable for me as an 18 year old girl, fairly small (5'6" and 54kg) and only mildly athletic (gym twice a week and a 5k run on the weekends)? I'd be looking for something that will get me fit and that I can get passionate about. A tight-knit group/good social scene is definitely a plus!

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I'm not familiar with any of the clubs listed, if I were in your position though I'd try them all and go with whichever one I enjoyed the most.

You being female/light shouldn't be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

Does anyone have any experience with these clubs, their atmosphere, how they are run, etc.?

I'm biased of course, since I instruct in the karate club.

The atmosphere is very good, plenty of social events, plenty of friendships formed which last a lifetime (and I have first-hand experience from my college days there) - and the training is good too. I don't see any issue at all with your physical size and fitness. . . . . the training helps plus the club offers supplementary gym training on Saturdays.

But as Peetrik says, why not try them all for a spell and see which you enjoy most?

Advertisement