Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rice crispy buns

• 16-11-2015 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Ahh, nothing brings back the memories like the smell of a freshly made rice crispy bun (or its evil counterpart made from Cocoa pops) inside in a muffin liner that someone on the parent's association brought down to the local community hall. Usually there would also be an abundance of Banshee Bones and some very chape 200ml bottles of lemonade, coke and fizzy orange juice.

Now I'm wondering are rice crispy buns genuinely Irish, born into existence due to the fact that actual dough was too expensive to make during the 80's recession or are they like most things, a fad brought in from the good ole US of A?

Did you have rice crispy buns back in the day? 169 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 169 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Is this a dole thread or an IS thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Is this a dole thread or an IS thread?
    I'm going with dole thread because you could make several trays of them for the cost of 1 pack of rice krispies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Well I had them at birthday parties back in the '70s, so yeah they're around long enough to be considered Irish IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Rice crispy CAKES!!!

Well I had them at birthday parties back in the '70s, so yeah they're around long enough to be considered Irish IMO.

They've been integrated into Irish culture.

See what I did there?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I love rice crispy bums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

They've been integrated into Irish culture.

See what I did there?:eek:

Ah yes. Just like the Muslims. So when do you think the Rice Crispy cakes will have their Jihad uprising & turn us all into 'crispy critters' too?

ElleEm wrote: »
    Rice crispy CAKES!!!

You are being very generous to them things describing them as cakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dr.Robotnik

Remember going to your friends birthday party after school with a whole spread on the table.

Rice krispie buns, TK orange in little white plastic cups, boxes of smarties, penny sweets!

Remember going to your friends birthday party after school with a whole spread on the table.

Rice krispie buns, TK orange in little white plastic cups, boxes of smarties, penny sweets!

Chroisht. Which friend was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Definitely an irish/british thing. We used to make them with cornflakes too to mix it up a bit.

In America they make rice crispy treats which are a marshmallow thing like Kellogg's squares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Did they try to market those one time or am I dreaming?

They were never satisfying though. You were always hungry afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dr.Robotnik

Chroisht. Which friend was that?

All of them! Im from a very affluent area in a very affluent county :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But there is a vile and sticky poor relation of these: which is the same thing, only made of cornflakes. Sticky Splinter Buns.

Dampened bendy cornflakes get caught in your teeth. The cheap lard-like "cooking chocolate" is the finishing touch. Gross.

katemarch wrote: »
    But there is a vile and sticky poor relation of these: which is the same thing, only made of cornflakes. Sticky Splinter Buns.

Dampened bendy cornflakes get caught in your teeth. The cheap lard-like "cooking chocolate" is the finishing touch. Gross.

Sounds like eating damp turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They were never satisfying though. You were always hungry afterwards.

It was nicer and more satisfying just eating the mixture straight from the bowl tbh. Like crunchy, gooey, warm coco pops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They have been around as long as rice crispies and have nothing at all to do with those awful Americans and their purely marketing based customs.

We had them at parties in the 70's and that was when we didn't even have BBC or a colour television.

They were not that cheap because most mammys would have the makings of several trays of buns in the press on any given day but they might only have rice crispies once a month or for special occasions. also the cooking chocolate would not last so would have to be bought specially for them.

Sounds like eating damp turf.

Ah the memories just come flooding back, coated in chocolate and sprinkled with hundreds & thousands:pac:

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Ah the memories just come flooding back, coated in chocolate and sprinkled with hundreds & thousands:pac:

Hundreds and thousands? Law Dee ****ing law. Excuse me Mr hundreds and thousands and all. We only had the odd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

also the cooking chocolate would not last so would have to be bought specially for them.

as I remember it, for the true 80's experience, the cooking chocolate used should be that nasty waxy stuff which never goes off, Wonderbar I think

parasite wrote: »
    as I remember it, for the true 80's experience, the cooking chocolate used should be that nasty waxy stuff which never goes off, Wonderbar I think
    The best laxative known to man.

They have been around as long as rice crispies and have nothing at all to do with those awful Americans and their purely marketing based customs.

We had them at parties in the 70's and that was when we didn't even have BBC or a colour television.

They were not that cheap because most mammys would have the makings of several trays of buns in the press on any given day but they might only have rice crispies once a month or for special occasions. also the cooking chocolate would not last so would have to be bought specially for them.

That really ruins my day because I was hoping to attach an Anti-American element to this thread and have a go at the tacky culture they're foisting upon us. Would there be any merit in a conspiracy theory that blames guerrilla marketing by Kelloggs back in the day for giving Irish mammies the idea to start making rice krispy buns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I've always wondered how you make these...What do you mix them with to make them stick together? :confused:

ETA: The ones that are clear, not the chocolate ones - I'm thick but not that thick hahaha

I've always wondered how you make these...What do you mix them with to make them stick together? :confused:

man batter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a single-minded devotion to Jesus

Melt the chocolate,throw in the Rice Krispies and put them in those paper cups.Think that's about the gist of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ahh, nothing brings back the memories like the smell of a freshly made rice crispy bun (or its evil counterpart made from Cocoa pops) inside in a muffin liner that someone on the parent's association brought down to the local community hall. Usually there would also be an abundance of Banshee Bones and some very chape 200ml bottles of lemonade, coke and fizzy orange juice.
    When I was a kid, we ate them from bun cases, not muffin liners. And my mother used to make buns too (not muffins or cupcakes), but I'd say rice crispy buns were popular because there was no baking involved: melt a bit of chocolate, mix in the Rice Krispies, and let them set when doled out into the cases.

I still make them, they are delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

kneemos wrote: »
    Melt the chocolate,throw in the Rice Krispies and put them in those paper cups.Think that's about the gist of it.

No I mean the ones that are clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Fcking cooking chocolate!!! I remember once I bought the ingredients with my mum and made her buy proper chocolate.

God that shït was vile. Shouldn't exist nowadays but it does!

kneemos wrote: »

OMFG!

First you need to boil a saucepan of water to melt a bowl of chocolate over, a microwave can be used only if you want crappie buns!

then when melted you pour in the crispies to the bowl of chocolate while still over the pot of water.

Stir well and coat every rice crispies with chocolate.

Check the consistency of the chocolate because too thick and the buns will be too hard to bite, too thin and they will fall apart before they get from the bun case to your mouth.

Allow the buns to cool naturally then place in the fridge or pace them straight into fridge if you are disorganised and running late!

You melt Marshmallows and proper toffee then throw in the rice crispies

OMFG!

First you need to boil a saucepan of water to melt a bowl of chocolate over, a microwave can be used only if you want crappie buns!

then when melted you pour in the crispies to the bowl of chocolate while still over the pot of water.

Check the consistency of the chocolate because too thick and the buns will be too hard to bite, too thin and they will fall apart before they get from the bun case to your mouth.

Allow the buns to cool naturally then place in the fridge or pace them straight into fridge if you are disorganised and running late!

Excuse me mister scientist .

OMFG!

!

Calm down dear, you are both right :D

• Advertisement

No idea.

They're just Rice Krispies dude.

White chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Ooooo I love chocolate rice crispy buns. Sweet luscious little bites of heaven:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I use a similar methodology when having a curry. Every grain of rice has to be covered.
    When I was a kid, our recessionary rice crispy buns often fell apart due to poverty, not like post-Celtic Tiger recessionary rice crispy buns (made by people with iPhones and the like.). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

I'm going to make these after with the kids after school. Thanks for the idea OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am hanging for one now...and I have not had my breakfast yet.

I use a similar methodology when having a curry. Every grain of rice has to be covered.

When I was a kid, our recessionary rice crispy buns often fell apart due to poverty, not like post-Celtic Tiger recessionary rice crispy buns (made by people with iPhones and the like.). :pac:

A recessionary rice crispy bun could make its way into the supply chain even in the good times if it's creator was just after getting a new Corolla or Carina II on the ould hire purchase agreement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I still make these, and my mam still makes a tray of them for our birthdays, like the kids we are :D I love making them extra chocolate-y by increasing the chocolate to rice krispie ratio.

The cornflake version is mank though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Ah this takes me back! Can't beat a rice crispy bun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

De rigeur at all kiddies birthday and Christmas parties. We used to bags for who would get to scrape out the bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

There's a lovely girl in work who frequently makes cakes for us all and she makes the best Rice Crispie cakes. She said she uses Aldi milk chocolate instead of cooking chocolate and they're bleedin delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

NothingMan wrote: »
    There's a lovely girl in work who frequently makes cakes for us all and she makes the best Rice Crispie cakes. She said she uses Aldi milk chocolate instead of cooking chocolate and they're bleedin delish!

When my mam makes them, she now uses Aldi or Lidl chocolate as well, and I agree - they are divine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The "clear" ones - might be stuck together with melted Golden Syrup or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Thanks for the idea OP, I'd forgotten about rice crispy cakes and how easy they are to make (I can't bake for shyte), I think I'm going to make some for my OH because she's German and I don't think she's tasted these Irish delights yet! :D

I'd love some but they aren't gluten free. Feckers

• Advertisement
Advertisement