Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, Need advice buying a Garmin watch

Options
  • 16-11-2015 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a Garmin watch for hubby for Xmas. He has run marathons in the past and due to time constraints lately is back to running shorter runs. He has used his brothers watch previously but now wants his own. Has to have really good gps tracking. Budget is around the 150-200 mark. All tips on which model and where to buy would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

Blingy wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a Garmin watch for hubby for Xmas. He has run marathons in the past and due to time constraints lately is back to running shorter runs. He has used his brothers watch previously but now wants his own. Has to have really good gps tracking. Budget is around the 150-200 mark. All tips on which model and where to buy would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I might be a little bit biased, because I have a Garmin watch (Forerunner 410) which I really don't like. I've been looking at replacing it for a while, and this is the thing I'm most tempted by, in the same price range you're looking at.

http://www.fitnessdigital.ie/polar-m400-black-heart-rate-monitor-h7-heart-rate-sensor/p/10005693/?ct=114

That model comes with a heart rate strap, without the strap is only €135.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Wait for Black Friday at the end of the month and Amazon always have big discounts on Garmin watches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

From experience it's usually with the older models which is how I've grabbed mine in the past. But worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ive been looking around for a new watch myself lately and this one is the one I'm going for. It gets good reviews and has all the features most runners need from a watch. That pack has the heart rate strap , it's available from €153 without the strap but if your hubby wants to train by heart rate as many runners do he'll need one

http://www.sportsdirect.com/garmin-forerunner-220-hrm-764667?colcode=76466744

This is the new version of the 220 the 225, the main difference is that it has an optical heart rate monitor built into the watch so there is no need to wear a strap but from what I have read around here the performance of the monitor can be a little hit and miss at times which is why I would go for the 220 ahead of 225.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/garmin-forerunner-225-943565?colcode=94356544

Here's an excellent site with reviews of running watches .

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

The 225 sounds cool.
    Find the straps can be annoying as well as unreliable......
    The 220 is nice as too is the 210......In fact the 210 is quite cheap now and possibly in your price range...
    All the best...

• Advertisement

The 225 sounds cool.
    Find the straps can be annoying as well as unreliable......
    The 220 is nice as too is the 210......In fact the 210 is quite cheap now and possibly in your price range...
    All the best...

Just a heads up on the 210, It's not waterproof , I had a 110 the earlier version of the 210 and it drowned never to work again one wet night on a run. If you look around you will see that other people have had the same experience. Aside from that it was a good watch which did everything I needed at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

The Muppet wrote: »
    Just a heads up on the 210, It's not waterproof , I had a 110 the earlier version of the 210 and it drowned never to work again one wet night on a run. If you look around you will see that other people have had the same experience. Aside from that it was a good watch which did everything I needed at the time.

That would explain why on certain runs, it would steam up on the glass on the inside. It would always disappear afterwards and never caused it to stop but it would be annoying, as some times it made reading the time difficult...

That would explain why on certain runs, it would steam up on the glass on the inside. It would always disappear afterwards and never caused it to stop but it would be annoying, as some times it made reading the time difficult...

Yep mine used to do that too before before it died completely. It was just over a year old so just out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks for the replies.
    Amazon seem to have some deals at the moment.
    Would this be decent?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0025VKUPM?vs=1
    The garmin forerunner 310XT.

Thanks for the replies.
    Amazon seem to have some deals at the moment.
    Would this be decent?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0025VKUPM?vs=1
    The garmin forerunner 310XT.

That model is pretty old, and would say it's pretty big, has poor battery, and takes a good while to get a GPS lock. You're better getting something a bit more recent.

• Advertisement

Wait for Black Friday at the end of the month and Amazon always have big discounts on Garmin watches.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    From experience it's usually with the older models which is how I've grabbed mine in the past. But worth keeping an eye on.

There's a Forerunner 910Xt with heart rate monitor up at the moment for £129. Like I said it's an old enough model at this rate, and not sure how the price compares elsewhere but Garmin themselves are listing it at €368 on their own site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Basil3 wrote: »
    That model is pretty old, and would say it's pretty big, has poor battery, and takes a good while to get a GPS lock. You're better getting something a bit more recent.

Battery life is about 18hours on the 310xt I think which is very good compared to other models. Takes about a minute to get a gps lock, so not a huge amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Wiggle.co.uk have offers on Garmins - Black Friday, free shipping to Ireland so worth checking out and comparing to Amazon.co.uk for best deal. Sportspursuit also have some online offers so shop around for the best deal

Thanks for all the advice. Probably gonna go with this the garmin forerunner 220. He doesn't want the heart rate monitors monitor and the 225 is just too expensive. Need to check if it will Bluetooth to an iPad though.
    Thanks.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G5DAEZ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1448361099&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=garmin+forerunner&dpPl=1&dpID=51X0vzza4iL&ref=plSrch

Thanks for all the advice. Probably gonna go with this the garmin forerunner 220. He doesn't want the heart rate monitors monitor and the 225 is just too expensive. Need to check if it will Bluetooth to an iPad though.
    Thanks.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G5DAEZ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1448361099&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=garmin+forerunner&dpPl=1&dpID=51X0vzza4iL&ref=plSrch

The 220 will connect via blue tooth to smart phone and I assume ipad/tablet. It updates garmin connect automatically no need to be plugging it in to update your activities its all done for you.

You can add a heart rate monitor down the line if/when he wants to..

I have mine a week now and i think its brilliant.

this one would save you a few quid too it works our at €160 including delivery
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/garmin-forerunner-220-watch-764662?colcode=76466244

The 220 will connect via blue tooth to smart phone and I assume ipad/tablet. It updates garmin connect automatically no need to be plugging it in to update your activities its all done for you.

Great thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Sorry to hijack thread here. I also have the 220. I find it very good watch to use and great battery life.
    What phone do you have that you can connect via blue tooth with? Mine does not sync via phone / blue tooth (or via blue tooth to the laptop)

I have a samsung s5 .You need to install the garmin connect app on the phone and install the 220 as a bluetooth device on that . I assume the same will work on tablets Ipads etc .

It works great .

I have a samsung s5 .You need to install the garmin connect app on the phone and install the 220 as a bluetooth device on that . I assume the same will work on tablets Ipads etc .

It works great .

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Not sure if anyone is still looking, but the forerunner 220 is on Amazon lightening deals tomorrow at half one, hopefully will be a good deal!

• Advertisement

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone is still looking, but the forerunner 220 is on Amazon lightening deals tomorrow at half one, hopefully will be a good deal!

Thanks for that. What's the best way to get free shipping ? Parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

I presume so. It usually works out cheaper than paying for delivery here from Amazon. Not certain though, sorry

Parcel motel are not free. DPD have launced a new service similar to parcel motel and they are giving 3 free deliveries between now and the 31st of december as an introductory offer.

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/UK-Virtual-Address

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    I presume so. It usually works out cheaper than paying for delivery here from Amazon. Not certain though, sorry

Amazon will do free shipping for an item of that value as long as the order is fulfilled by them.

I've never had to pay for shipping from them in all the years I've ordered from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Was watching it and just got it. Best price I've seen for this especially as it includes the hrm.

Damn this is taking some serious willpower. Such a great deal, but I swore to never buy another Garmin after my experiences with the FR 410.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Basil3 wrote: »
    Damn this is taking some serious willpower. Such a great deal, but I swore to never buy another Garmin after my experiences with the FR 410.

410, oh man you don't know what you are missing out on with the new watches..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Was watching it and just got it. Best price I've seen for this especially as it includes the hrm.

Its a pretty good deal! I already own one though,,,,

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    410, oh man you don't know what you are missing out on with the new watches..... :)

Urgh. Watch purchased. Don't tell my Mrs :pac:

Advertisement