Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maratona di Firenze 2015

Options
  • 16-11-2015 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Anyone up for it this year (that's the Florence Marathon)? I'm in. Great run, did it last year and noticed one other Irish runner who came in with a super respectable time. Great to see the defiant tricolour up there with the tricolore.

A race for big shoes (Hokas, watch those cobblestones), big hair (hey, it's Italy), and sharp elbows (narrow sections). One of the better organised Italian marathons. Shirt is blue this year I believe.

Can't wait!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

uvox wrote: »
    Anyone up for it this year (that's the Florence Marathon)? I'm in. Great run, did it last year and noticed one other Irish runner who came in with a super respectable time. Great to see the defiant tricolour up there with the tricolore.

A race for big shoes (Hokas, watch those cobblestones), big hair (hey, it's Italy), and sharp elbows (narrow sections). One of the better organised Italian marathons. Shirt is blue this year I believe.

Can't wait!

Done this in 2012. Great city and great marathon. The hamstrings only barely held together once i hit the cobblestones.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

PDCAT wrote: »
    Done this in 2012. Great city and great marathon. The hamstrings only barely held together once i hit the cobblestones.

I have done it twice in the past, i think 2010 and 2011 - great marathon city. over riding memory is hearing supporters shout "die die die" - which i think / hope means go rather than die. Is it any easier to get to now - we flew into bologna and trained it over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    I have done it twice in the past, i think 2010 and 2011 - great marathon city. over riding memory is hearing supporters shout "die die die" - which i think / hope means go rather than die. Is it any easier to get to now - we flew into bologna and trained it over...

Ah yes - die die. i remember being a little concerned about these chants as well. My italian Au pair was very amused when i asked her what it meant. You are right it does mean 'go'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

That would be 'vai, vai' (Go!, Go!) and this from someone with no Italian :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Itziger wrote: »
    That would be 'vai, vai' (Go!, Go!) and this from someone with no Italian :)

'Dai Dai' has the same meaning as 'Vai Vai' (it kind of means go on, go on) even though it translates literally as 'give, give'. Italians generally use 'Dai' in every situation.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    'Dai Dai' has the same meaning as 'Vai Vai' (it kind of means go on, go on) even though it translates literally as 'give, give'. Italians generally use 'Dai' in every situation.

Dai, yes. I guess 2nd person of 'give' as you say - dar in Spanish, which I DO speak. Personally I've only ever heard em say Vai, vai but I guess it would be hard to distinguish (after 34k or so!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Itziger wrote: »
    Dai, yes. I guess 2nd person of 'give' as you say - dar in Spanish, which I DO speak. Personally I've only ever heard em say Vai, vai but I guess it would be hard to distinguish (after 34k or so!).

I've only ever heard em say 'Dai' :P. It's a very Italian expression.
    Vai means 'go' as you say but 'Dai' is used as a general way to encourage people (think Mrs Doyle and her tea; translated she would have been saying Dai! Dai! Dai!) So I don't think the lads here were hearing things!

Hopefully on my next trot around an Italian city (in 4 weeks time if the running Gods don't scupper it for the 3rd year in a row) I'll be hearing VAI. And hopefully I won't be 'dai-ing' too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Resurrecting this thread to ask a quick question. This marathon seems to require either IAAF affilication or a signed medical cert.

Did anyone who has run it before provide the medical cert? I've read online that some people just faked their own certs which worked, others said it cost them ~200 euro to get an official cert which seems crazily high.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

I just sent in the form to my local doctor who completed it for me.
    chabsey wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread to ask a quick question. This marathon seems to require either IAAF affilication or a signed medical cert.

Did anyone who has run it before provide the medical cert? I've read online that some people just faked their own certs which worked, others said it cost them ~200 euro to get an official cert which seems crazily high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks for the quick reply. When you say you sent it in, did you even avoid having to pay for a consultation? That would be great if possible. I don't see my doc all that often though so I might need to get a consult to get the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I went to my local doc who wasn't happy with this. His point was I would need a full bloodwork, scans, stress tests etc to have even a slight guarantee I'm in no danger running and there are still hidden reasons no doctor will find until after you're, er, dead.
    He's a grumpy get normally anyway but usually straight with me. He signed and stamped the form and told me to try really hard not to die.
    Lovely race though, probably one of the most picturesque in Europe

Advertisement