Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long is your commute to work?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

It takes about 1 hour on the bike and about 90minutes home on the bike ( due to hills ) or 40ish minutes in the car it about 19miles eachway. I try to take the bike at least once a week.

I'm thinking of getting a motorbike so I would have the best of both !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

wally79 wrote: »
    Are you me? You just described my commute exactly

You think I have just glitched the Matrix!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Do yiz work in the same office?

I've been noticing strange noises at night out of the wardrobes!!, I must set up a camera tonight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Retired, so zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

about 52 minutes door to door. 3 minute walk to the Luas then all the way into town and a 4 minute walk to the office. I read only on the Luas and my lunch and love that time to get lost in a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

75 minutes

15 mins walk to train station
    50 mins DART journey
    10 mins walk to work

About 85 minutes , sometimes shorter, 45 mins bus 40 mins walk. But it suits me perfectly, I fly through books on the bus and get a fair amount of exercise in so I can spend less time in the gym :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

50 mins approx by car. 1 hour 40 mins by bus.and its late night start/early morning finish.traffic can fook things up severely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

45 minutes usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

To work: 1 hr 45 minutes including the drive from the house to the train station and the walk from Pearse Station to the office. Add 20 minutes to that if I walk from the house to the stations, which I really should. The trip home is 1hr 45 minutes to 2 hours including the walk from Work to Connolly and waiting for the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

20 minute cycle from door to door.

Usually I walk the kids to school though, so that adds 10 minutes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

It use to be 2 hours each way from me by public transport.

now its 1 hour going into work and 40minutes going home by car :)

when kids are off school and their is no car crashs, It could take me 20 mins getting into work:)

If anything the only reason I love driving to and from work is during the winter nights, over the summer I probably will just cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I work from home, which is a gift and curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How long does your commute to work take?
    You should have given a definition of this.

In my mind its the difference in time between when you close your door until when you have to be in work (not when you actually arrive in work)

I know people who used fool themselves with the timing when commuting to dublin from another county. They would say stuff like "it only takes 60minutes", but upon questioning they were closing their door at 6.20am and needed to be in work for say 9pm. The train itself might have taken 60mins, but they had to get to the train, get to work from the train, and ended up in work typically 15-20mins early.

Now some might disagree with my definition as they might be able to have breakfast in work during that time they arrived early, which is fair enough as it is not "lost time", as they can afford to wake later, but still may not have spent 20mins at breakfast. But many do fool themselves. I see only 1 mention of waiting time for a train in the thread, when in college I would be 5-10mins early at the bus stop as there was only 1 bus a day around that time, I had to presume it might come early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

An hour and a half each way..including 2 busses and any walking in between. It is painful and I look forward to the day I don't have to do it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I walk from my bedroom to the dining room, where I have my office setup. Sometimes, I stop to scratch my hole along the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dr.Robotnik

30 mins. Zero traffic lights. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

20 to 25 minute drive each way.

A friend said to how do you face into that drive each day, well I've done the 4 hours plus round trip....soul destroying and physically wears you down. So this is a complete cakewalk, plus I have reasonably flexible start and finish times so that's another positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

A 5 to 6 minute walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Ten minutes if I don't speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

45 minutes drive there and about an hour home depending on traffic. When I'm subbing it can vary from 15 minutes to an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

13 mins...leave work at 17.31 and stop car at home at 17.44 each day for the winter :D
    (Much longer work hours in summer :( )

Used travel an hour and half to and from work each day and it would take an absolutely massive payrise to go back to it!

15 to 18 minute walk depending on walking speed. 5 minute cycle if I bring the bike as its all down hill, but then all up hill coming home so I usually walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

My start time is flexible, so if I leave my house at, say 9:10, I'm at my desk in about 18 minutes.

If I was to use public transport, there would be a 25 minute walk to the DART, wait for the DART (as unlike in civilised cities, it doesn't come every 2-3 minutes) prob a 20 minute DART journey, then a 30 minute walk to the office. Alternatively, 10 minute wait for bus, 25minute into town - walk, say 10 minutes, another 10minute wait for the second bus, with a 40 minute journey thereon.

So when I hear Pascal O'Donoghoe tell us they wont be upgrading the motorways, but will be putting on more buses (not, mind you, new routes), I just think "fvck you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

1.5 hours each way unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It used to be an hour... But traffic this last while has been mental so more like an hour and a half now. Bus and then dart for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

10 minute cycle through the Swiss countryside. There are some goats on the way who I stop and chat with occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Leave my house at 7:20 to be there for 8, but I know if I left at 7:25 I wouldn't be there until half 8. The five minute difference is crazy and gives me huge anxiety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Around 1 minute depending how fast I walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've given up taking the car altogether. Car in the summer was 15-20 minutes now it's 70-80 minutes.
    Luas and walking takes an hour exactly, take one into town then walk across to the other.
    Bike being the quickest at 35 minutes if I push hard. Have to shower in work then.

I bike 3 out of 5 days at a minimum. The other 2 I try have a read of a book on the luas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

By car 35-40mins each way, public transport with DART and Luas each way is around 80-90mins.

Car is a no brainer option as I get an extra 5 hours a week to do other things instead of being squashed into a sardine can for 5 hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

With 256 people having voted so far, some 57% of people have a commute of 30 minutes or less. It's a better situation than I had anticipated really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

When I'm in Ireland it's a little under 45 mins. When I'm overseas it can either be 5 minutes or an hour depending on where I am working that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

With 256 people having voted so far, some 57% of people have a commute of 30 minutes or less. It's a better situation than I had anticipated really.

Normally it's 25 mins each way. This morning that stretched to 1hr 10 mins because of the closed slip road on the M3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Leave the house at 7am and walk 25 minutes to the train station. Then 40 minutes on the train to Connolly. Get the Luas for another 15 minutes and then a 10 minute walk into work. Same home in the evening :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

If traffic is bad (and it often is), an hour and a half each way. Dublin commuter traffic sucks, we're not even that far away distance-wise. That's 2 hours every weekday that we don't get to spend with our child. I remember when I lived at home and my commute was 10 minutes, that made such a difference to my day. We're looking at relocating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

For one location its less than a 5 minute drive, for another location about 40 minutes drive with only 1 traffic light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

50mins to an hour but i get to work some days at home which is a godsend because i couldnt face the m50 5 days a week with the traffic volumes on it now... (never mind the daily crashes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

90 mins atm :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycle 14km from west Dublin to City Center. 30 mins door to door on a good day, 35 - 40 mins if I take it handy.

Train is an option the odd morning - 45 mins door to door

Wouldn't dream of driving into the city center. Waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Depends on the time of year and the time I leave, and how bad things are on the M50.

Summer - leave at 8.10am to get in for 8.30ish, this allows half an hour for traffic problems. Going home - leave at 5.30pm, get home 6ish.

Winter - leave at 7.40am to get in for 8.30ish, this allows half an hour for traffic problems. Leave at 5.30pm, get home 6.30ish.

The traffic is so much worse on the M50 the past year or so though that the commute is slowing increasing winter and summer. This morning I lost a lot of time just getting onto the M50 itself, which meant I was later than usual getting off it so I got caught in school traffic on the last leg of the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

About 40 mins, 20 if traffic isn't terrible but it being London it pretty much always is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

About half an hour if I get the bus, 10 minutes if I drive. Add on about a 10 minute walk to the bus stop and sometimes 10 minute walk to my car (city centre parking permit, there is never a space near my house!).

Often walk in the summer which takes about 40 minutes to get there, and 20 minutes back. Hills!

About 30 minutes leisurely drive each way. Could do it quicker if engaging warp engines but prefer 1/4 impulse.

No traffic. No traffic lights.

Only thing that might delay me is cattle crossing the road but I usually spend that time chatting to the farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

50-70 minutes on the bus, with a 5 minute walk from the stop to the office. I leave at 7:10 to be in before 8:30. Typically the same coming home, but some evenings I go to a gym in town so the traffic has eased by the time I'm going home again. Still, my days are generally 12+ hours long.

The worst part is that the journey is only 11km door to door. I would be as well to live outside Dublin and travel in, saving money on rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

About 15 minutes each way. Fall out of bed at about 8, shower, breakfast and drive to work, in for 9am start with plenty of time to spare :)

I used to drive 80-90 minutes each way when I was a sparks so this is a much welcomed change

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

30 minutes by motorcycle. If the weather is particularly **** then one hour ten door to door by bus.
    I really hate bad weather. Wish I could drive a car to work, but work is dead city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

40-50 minutes each way.

Can do it in 35 minutes when the little shits are off school.

Advertisement