Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning modem after moving house and closing account

Options
  • 16-11-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

HI,
    I closed and paid up my account when I moved house recently but a few days ago 59.99 was taken form my account by direct debit. I rang to complain and was told it was a modem return fee. I am usually fairly good with small print but don't remember this when I closed the account. I said I'd sent it on. When I put the phone down I only remembered the girl saying I wouldn't be billed any more. I forgot to ask if I would be refunded and just assumed that I would. What is the policy on this? I completed my 18 months contract so it was a clean closure(or so I thought)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

HI,
    I closed and paid up my account when I moved house recently but a few days ago 59.99 was taken form my account by direct debit. I rang to complain and was told it was a modem return fee. I am usually fairly good with small print but don't remember this when I closed the account. I said I'd sent it on. When I put the phone down I only remembered the girl saying I wouldn't be billed any more. I forgot to ask if I would be refunded and just assumed that I would. What is the policy on this? I completed my 18 months contract so it was a clean closure(or so I thought)
    Thanks
    Hi captainshamroc

Sorry to hear of this. Yes, the modem is rented and return of the equipment is required when the account is cancelled. I'm sorry to hear you were charged this even though you did send it back. If you could PM me your eir account number and the date and address you sent it to I will look in to this matter further.

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Yes, the modem is rented and return of the equipment is required when the account is cancelled. 
    Just for clarification, the modem is rented and not free as per your marketing (https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/eir/eir-broadband-solo/)?

How much is the rental charge per month for the "free" modem?

Are your customers made aware of the rental charge for the "free" modem?

Can customers choose not to have the "free" rented modem?

kbannon wrote: »
    eir: Alan wrote: »
    Yes, the modem is rented and return of the equipment is required when the account is cancelled. 
    Just for clarification, the modem is rented and not free as per your marketing (https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/eir/eir-broadband-solo/)?

How much is the rental charge per month for the "free" modem?

Are your customers made aware of the rental charge for the "free" modem?

Can customers choose not to have the "free" rented modem?
    Hi kbannon

Wrong choice of words on my behalf, apologies it's not rented as there's no rental charge. It would have been better to use the term "property of eir" Apologies for any confusion caused.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Thanks for the information. I hadn't sent it back. I'll send it back now but my question is will i get refunded the 59.99 that I was charged for not returning the modem if I send it back now.

Thanks for the information. I hadn't sent it back. I'll send it back now but my question is will i get refunded the 59.99 that I was charged for not returning the modem if I send it back now.
    Hi captainshamroc

Of course. Once the modem is sent back please let me know and I will note to your account for refund.

Please send it to

Free post
    eir logistics
    Cragg Avenue
    Clondalkin
    Dublin 22

And PM me your eir account number when you have sent it.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Update:
    So I returned the modem a few weeks ago and no refund has occurred. I didn't expect it immediately and expected to have to ring to follow up eventually. No Big deal.
    I now received an email saying I am being billed 59.99 for November. This is despite the agent I spoke to on the phone a few weeks ago saying she fixed it so I would not be billed any more. I don't know what the charge is for as I don't have an account with Eir/Eircom any more so when I tried to register to see the bill it rejected me. In effect Eir are now taking 59.99 from my account each month but refusing to provide a bill.

I tried raising a support rep on chat just now and was told they can't access my account and to try back in a few hours.
    Anyone here able to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi captainshamroc, 

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like to PM me your account details and I'll check this for.

Thanks

Tracey 

Thanks Tracey. PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Thanks, I'll come back to you shortly through PM's

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement