Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depth of soil for fuchsia

Options
  • 16-11-2015 7:08pm

I want to extend my fusia hedge which is currently 4.5 feet tall. The area I want to plant in is a gravel area 6 inches lower than where the the hedge is planted. How much if this do I need to dig out considering I have 6 inches already and want the hedge to grow to 4.5 feet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

What's under the gravel? Drainage is important. I have seen fuchsia on Aran islands growing out of a wall so some varieties don't need much soil. Some varieties might be more demanding than others. If the gravel is not waterlogged I would just build up with soil and compost to be level with the existing hedge. I hope your living near the coast as I find they can be killed right back to the stump when there is heavy frost.

Yeah I live in Mayo on the coast. Its the same fuchsia that's growing along the sides of bothrin's and roads. Fuchsia magellanica I think from google The area is well drained.

I have already taken a few inches of gravel off so ill be now building up about ten inches of soil and compost. I was just going to add soil.

Thanks

Advertisement