Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from China VAT and customs Duty

Options
  • 16-11-2015 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

I'm wondering would anyone know the story with VAT and Duty rates when importing from China?

I ordered Stickers for my PS4 controller which came to 27 euro. That was the real price and I asked the supplier to write the real value on the invoice, which they did! I used DHL and was charged today when they showed up with the parcel.

DHL take 10 euro for the Admin Fee which is fine but I was charged 19.74 for the 27 euro invoice. I though the VAT was 23% so it would have been a lot less? No.

Does any one know what might have happened?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Only Revenue can tell you what happened there really. The way they work out values can be a bit baffling at times. Does it not give a value on the receipt? I've had $100 items valued at €100 but nothing near as off as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hi guys,

I'm wondering would anyone know the story with VAT and Duty rates when importing from China?

I ordered Stickers for my PS4 controller which came to 27 euro. That was the real price and I asked the supplier to write the real value on the invoice, which they did! I used DHL and was charged today when they showed up with the parcel.

DHL take 10 euro for the Admin Fee which is fine but I was charged 19.74 for the 27 euro invoice. I though the VAT was 23% so it would have been a lot less? No.

Does any one know what might have happened?

Thanks.

Import duty is 10% of the total cost of the item and shipping . Then vat is 23% of that total cost of item including import duty , shipping and cost of the item .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did the seller put the shipping cost on the invoice? If they didnt then DHL will estimate what it should have cost and charge accordingly. TBH for something of that low a value you should have asked them to send it by china post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheCurious1

Did the seller put the shipping cost on the invoice? If they didnt then DHL will estimate what it should have cost and charge accordingly. TBH for something of that low a value you should have asked them to send it by china post.

No they didn't actually, the 27 euro was the total cost of products plus shipping. But it does not say that on invoice. It just says that is for the items inside.

Ye I know what your'e saying just didn't want to wait for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No they didn't actually, the 27 euro was the total cost of products plus shipping. But it does not say that on invoice. It just says that is for the items inside.

Ye I know what your'e saying just didn't want to wait for them

because the seller didnt itemise a shipping cost then DHL will just assume a shipping cost based on their standard rates. VAT and duty are due on the full amount including shipping so the sellers mistake has cost you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheCurious1

Thanks for the reply mate, you cleared it all up for me :) I was just on to DHL and your'e spot on, thanks again!

Advertisement