Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storage heaters?

Options
  • 16-11-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hi , im considering installing 4 of these into a house i might be buying soon. if used correctly are these very expensive to run? and do they need to be wired directly into a fuseboard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

celica1994 wrote: »
    Hi , im considering installing 4 of these into a house i might be buying soon. if used correctly are these very expensive to run? and do they need to be wired directly into a fuseboard?

They run on cheap night rate or dedicated supply for storage heating. Each heater will have to be wired back to the fuseboard. A new meter may have to be installed if a dual tarriff meter isn't already fitted. They need to be switched on the night before to store the heat so not very flexible. Some have a boost element that can be switched on and off anytime but this runs on full tariff electricity. Getting to know the controls and using the damper to release heat is the biggest part. Not the most appealing thing to have in a room as they are bulky and can darken the walls above them if the metal shelf isnt fitted.
    I fitted my share of them when working with the ESB back in the 90s. Try to keep cables under floors if possible. Trunking carrying the cables running on walls is unsightly. Id say with the advent of new more efficient heating methods they have gone by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭celica1994

Cheers for the reply! ill have to check what kind of meter i have when i get the house :)

They run on cheap night rate or dedicated supply for storage heating. Each heater will have to be wired back to the fuseboard. A new meter may have to be installed if a dual tarriff meter isn't already fitted. They need to be switched on the night before to store the heat so not very flexible. Some have a boost element that can be switched on and off anytime but this runs on full tariff electricity. Getting to know the controls and using the damper to release heat is the biggest part. Not the most appealing thing to have in a room as they are bulky and can darken the walls above them if the metal shelf isnt fitted.
    I fitted my share of them when working with the ESB back in the 90s. Try to keep cables under floors if possible. Trunking carrying the cables running on walls is unsightly. Id say with the advent of new more efficient heating methods they have gone by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

celica1994 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Dimplex Quantum storage heaters before you make up your mind, they're not at all bulky or ugly, very easy to program and use, but you do need a separate or specific meter to avail of the night-rate electricity.

Advertisement