Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting for the first time, credit check

• 16-11-2015 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hi, newbie to Scotland and landed a room to rent. How do I go about getting a credit rating check? I've a bank account sorted but have only been over here for two weeks... Not sure what it'd show! :p

Also any tips on references etc? I have some letters from previous ones in Ireland but do they look for these? (It's all through a letting agency). Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Been a while since I rented, didn't know they did credit checks here (scotland).

I've used noddle for a free check prior to a full check via financial advisor before: https://www.noddle.co.uk/

References: again, I'm not sure (my last rental didn't) but I'm sure the letting agency can advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Let the agency that you end up renting through organise all the background checks; the tenant in Scotland is protected from all fees and its a Short Assured Tenancy that you will be getting which usually have a minimum term of 6 months.

Some agencies do a more thorough check than others so not having address history or proof of income (i.e. bank statement) in the UK will cause issues, and they may ask for a Guarantor, ideally in the UK that they can do a check on.

Also, it may be of interest to you that its illegal for a landlord or agency to hold a deposit in Scotland; they must transfer it within a month to an independent agency and provide you with full details of who is holding the deposit. When your tenancy ends, the independent agency will pay you back the deposit once they get the OK from the landlord and lettings agency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

bkehoe wrote: »

Also, it may be of interest to you that its illegal for a landlord or agency to hold a deposit in Scotland; they must transfer it within a month to an independent agency and provide you with full details of who is holding the deposit. When your tenancy ends, the independent agency will pay you back the deposit once they get the OK from the landlord and lettings agency.
    Never knew that! Presume this is the related info?: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Environment/Housing/privaterent/landlords/tenancy-deposit-schemes

Came in around 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Your deposit goes into an account with these guys: https://www.lettingprotectionscotland.com/

Keep in mind some places may ask for 3 months in advance if you don't have a previous rental record in the UK. Another poster here said she's never encountered that so it might be hit and miss. I've only seen it with one rental agency and if hey haven't mentioned it to you already you're probably ok.

Advertisement