Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds Tuesday 17th November: Gusts possible up to 140km/h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Shannon airport have turned their radar heads off due to excessive wind. rare!
    Does that mean that the airport is effectively closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Shannon gusting to 69 knots at 4pm. I wonder how high it was on the Clare coast. Could have been close to 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought things had peaked here in Limerick City but it's gotten extremely gusty in the past few minutes. I'm looking forward to getting out in all of it in half an hour to get home but it's a bit worrying as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No electricity here, was out doing work, last recorded wind gust was 80kmh before the power went, ESB say should have it back by 7.15pm.
    During storm Darwin got it back in an hour, some neighbours on a different line were waiting three days.

Worst storm since Darwin, but still not close to how bad that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

we will so know, ile follow it on the fligh radar 24 thread, dont want to block up things here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Getting very lively again now! with frequent gusts up to 40 knots. Reminds me of Darwin at how suddenly it came in.

Edit. Gust 52 knots.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Bicycle wrote: »
    But interestingly the dog is animated today and barking at the wind

Always the sign of an impending storm i say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

96kph in Wicklow town (well near enough, Ashford weather station) guessing it's a bit higher where I am perched on hill overlooking sea. Highest winds this year. And is to peak later I believe at 6 here? Could be wrong. But very loud and scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

An Aerlingus A320 from Paris to Cork is flying away north easterly after an unsuccessful attempt to landing. As I write it is 23,000 feet over Portlaoise heading either to Dublin or Belfast. BTW, all Aer Lingus Regional flights serving Cork and Shannon have been cancelled for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Force 12 gust of 65kts in Dun Laoghaire, bearing in mind thats relatively sheltered from a W'ly. The bay is churning....

• Advertisement

teddybones wrote: »
    96kph in Wicklow town (well near enough, Ashford weather station) guessing it's a bit higher where I am perched on hill overlooking sea. Highest winds this year. And is to peak later I believe at 6 here? Could be wrong. But very loud and scary.

It'll be rough enough there later if yer getting those kind of gusts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

It'll be rough enough there later if yer getting those kind of gusts already.

Oh crap...

Mean speed 31 knots but gusts seems to be easing. Peak 57 kt.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Pretty gusty in the IFSC now, can see the windows of the office moving in a bit with some gusts. Watching people getting blown about as they walk by the canal below is very entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Power is just gone here near Arklow
    Gusting above 65 mph

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

78km/h recorded at my station in Waterford City

www.waterfordcityweather.com

met eireann 1627 update

17 November 2015 16:27

Today
    Extremely windy this afternoon and early evening as storm Barney tracks over Ireland towards Scotland. Southwesterly to westerly winds will reach 65 to 80 Km/h with damaging gusts of 110 to 130 km/h especially over Munster and Leinster. Scattered heavy showers will clear eastwards later.

Tonight

Staying very windy in the east for a time this evening and early tonight with further severe gusts but winds will moderate everywhere before midnight with good clear spells developing. However, southerly winds will increase fresh to strong and gusty towards morning. Scattered showers in the north and west early tonight with rain pushing into the west later and spreading country wide by dawn. around dawn. Lowest temperatures 4 to 9 degrees, coldest in the north

69 knots at Shannon, 60 knots at Newport co.mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Getting into Darwin territory here, some violent winds.

Heard my first "whistle". :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

RobertKK wrote: »
    Getting into Darwin territory here, some violent winds.

Pretty fierce alright
    About to hook up generator to milk the cows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

69 knots at Shannon, 60 knots at Newport co.mayo

Jez that's 80 mph at Shannon Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

frCDhMn.jpg

Very windy here. - Thats a soaked through 13 * 13 carpet blown 40m!

oDzxmyy.jpg

Dish is down & in the next field.

and 69 knots is highest Shannon will probably see as things begin to calm down in the west. focus shifts to the east for the next couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Was up on the 6th floor of a building by the concert hall in Dublin for a meeting.

The whistling up there was mighty Maq !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tullow 91.9 km/h 4:53pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

and 69 knots is highest Shannon will probably see as things begin to calm down in the west. focus shifts to the east for the next couple of hours
    We'll be just in time for the news. Sorry my western friends six one is ours :)

All eased again here now. Those wind on the western flank of the low should be watched out for as they head east. Short but sweet.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

Big automatic doors are literally flying off the hinges in carrickmines retail park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Make that 92.6 km/h 4:53pm :(

Advertisement