Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Out - Do We Need to Refill Heating Oil Tank?

Options
  • 16-11-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi, we are moving out of our rented accommodation at the end of the month. Everything should go smoothly but there is one thing we are unsure of. When we moved in we started off with a full tank of home heating oil,supplied by our landlord. Are we obliged to leave a full tank when we move out? There may have been a verbal agreement to this effect but we can't remember!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note As per the charter please use meaningful thread titles OP. I've edited this one. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yes you should leave the same amount of oil in the tank thy was there when you moved in. Fill the tank, give a copy of the receipt to your landlord and keep the original receipt yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It depends on what your lease said. But generally yes, it's like renting a car, bring it back full

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I like the way the OP says "are we obliged " ..... I think the OP already knows they are just looking for an excuse not to. In case I got it wrong... yes op you are ment to replace what you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm sure you don't have to refill the tank. Just let the landlord give you back €400 less in your deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Effects wrote: »
    I'm sure you don't have to refill the tank. Just let the landlord give you back €400 less in your deposit.

Thanks for all your replies, ordered a fill, €560 actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Eek. I didn't know a tank was that much. I usually go for €300 when I get a refill and it does me the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Effects wrote: »
    Eek. I didn't know a tank was that much. I usually go for €300 when I get a refill and it does me the year.

Tanks are usually 950 or 1000 litres (some larger and smaller sizes exist but are rare). 1000 has been up to €800 in recent years.

Advertisement