Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing Backpack?

• 16-11-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going on my first ski trip with NUIG this January, I'm looking for a backpack to take with me. Will a normal backpack that I would take to college do the trick?

Have spoke to 2 friends who gone skiing before.
    One says it will be fine, the other says to get one with a buckle across the chest as otherwise the bag will fall off. Is this truly the case?

Thanks for all help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Could this thread be deleted?
    I accidentally created it twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Something with a chest strap and waist strap will be perfect.
    A Dakine helipak is a great bag but expensive.

Personally don't like carrying a bakpack. Usually buy food on the mountain and carry a bottle of water in my jacket pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Something with a chest strap and waist strap will be perfect.
    A Dakine helipak is a great bag but expensive.

Personally don't like carrying a bakpack. Usually buy food on the mountain and carry a bottle of water in my jacket pocket.

Same here, I prefer nothing on my back. Just get a small bottle of water and keep it in your pocket. When I bring the GoPro out I do need a backpack, the backpack is very small so it doesn't interfere with my arms, or my body twisting (I snowboard). So, if you do decide you need one, get one that's as small as your budget allows, if you don't have a budget, any old backpack will be grand, especially if it's your first trip. One without a chest strap is unlikely to come off, unless you have a bad crash. I can't remember one ever coming off me. If it's a loose fit it can feel like it's slipping down your arms, which is a distraction, so wear it tighter than normal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

First time out wouldn't wear one. These days I wear a Camelbak MULE, suits my needs though there are plenty of better out there im sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I always have a backpack when skiing. Water, food, phones, torch,, space for robing/disrobing etc.. I use a Deuter backpack. They come in different sizes, and my one you can tie your skis to if so inclined. Has various straps, pockets, loops etc.. Too many straps can be annoying tho so I tuck them away to reduce flapping.
    You have to adjust your seating position on the chair lifts, or take it off. Something to be wary of.

All that said, it is more comfortable skiing without one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

On the straps thing make sure that you secure all the lose ends. A 14 year old was killed a few years ago when straps of his backpack got caught in a lift. A lethal accident like that is unlikely but getting stuck on a lift could easily happen all too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I use one of these. The Dakine Heli Pack mentioned above.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Da...oenix-(108532)

Large enough to carry essentials (inc. camelpak) but small enough to not be obstructive.

It has chest buckle but I never use it.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

OP, unless you really, really need one on the slopes, I wouldn't give yourself the extra hassle on your first trip. There's more than enough to be doing just getting on and off chairlifts as a beginner.
    Every holiday, I see at least a few people getting either knocked off, or caught on the chair by a strap. One time a poor guy got knocked off and nearly throttled by his own bag, until helped to his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

d2ww wrote: »
    OP, unless you really, really need one on the slopes, I wouldn't give yourself the extra hassle on your first trip. There's more than enough to be doing just getting on and off chairlifts as a beginner.
    Every holiday, I see at least a few people getting either knocked off, or caught on the chair by a strap. One time a poor guy got knocked off and nearly throttled by his own bag, until helped to his feet.

Never seen anyone ever knocked due to a backpack. Plenty knocked over by overzealus people waving their arms about, stabbing poles into snowboards or simply using others to push off.

If you want a pack get one. Dakine heli is a good choice. Had one myself. Heli pack 11l is more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Are you a beginner? If so you will spend most of your first few days on the nursery slope. You could take a bag with you but I dont really see the point. Usually people take small backpacks with them with essentials in as they are heading out all day on the mountain. You will most probably be down at valley level or if you are up the mountain then nursery slopes are pretty close to the main lift where there are also facilities.

What are you planning to put in it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Ok, I was actually thinking of the times when people are pushed forward in the chair and the bar comes down and bangs them on the head.
    But my main point still stands, you have to cast your mind back to your very first ski trip when everything was new. Easily 90% of the people on the slopes don't feel the need to have a backpack, between jacket and trousers, I have 8 pockets to put stuff in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

d2ww wrote: »
    Ok, I was actually thinking of the times when people are pushed forward in the chair and the bar comes down and bangs them on the head.
    But my main point still stands, you have to cast your mind back to your very first ski trip when everything was new. Easily 90% of the people on the slopes don't feel the need to have a backpack, between jacket and trousers, I have 8 pockets to put stuff in.

One german tool this year hit 3 people with the bar. They were still getting on when he pulled it down. Then as we approached the exit he tried to lift the bar when we were still 30ft above the ground.

Get whatever pack you want but not one of these. I've seen both girls and guys with these and I openly laugh. They're always Irish too.
    Drawstring-Backpack-With-210-D-11101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Please dont waste your money buying a new pack. If youre a beginner you wont know what type of pack you like, straps, size, pockets, brand etc. You'll be no more than 10 mins from a cafe for food and water. A chest strap would help, sure but not worth spending $100+ on a new bag, a waist strap is more important anyway. You could jimmy rig a chest or waist strap you you really needed it. Plenty of awesome skiers out there with piece of crap bags. Spend the money on more lessons if you've a heavy wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I always bring a small backpack, handy for water/goggles/spare fleece/suncream/tissues/mini Jägers etc... I don't like packing up my jacket with anything other than absolute essentials, phone & cash.

You really need to get something neat that has minimal straps and requires minimal faff to get on & off. Some resorts INSIST that you take it off & wear it on your front if you're getting on a chairlift. Two friends have had minor accidents (nothing major, more of a opportunity for a good laugh) but I have seen more than a few people having trouble getting on & off with loose straps getting caught & getting a good clock from the chair lift.

Something like this would be very handy - http://www.decathlon.ie/c-abeona-17l-backpack-blue.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Dakine Heli back pack is very good.

But I'd not use it anymore as there is really no need to be carrying much stuff around with you.

Fill up the pockets of your jacket with snacks/ chocolate bars and a small sports bottle of water (refill it if need be when you stop for lunch). If you are getting too hot on the mountain then open the vents and front of your jacket a bit, take a layer off and as you are obviously only wearing thin layers it's easy to tie around the waist or stuff in a pocket. If you are getting cold then just ski harder... or stop for a gluwein somewhere until you are ready to go again.

Advertisement