Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Very windy later

• 17-11-2015 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Careful out there folks today 17th Nov......from 2pm on for the rest of the evening they are forecasting gusts in excess of 50knots. That's a lot of wind if your on a bike in exposed areas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Knowing the bad crosswind sections of your commute is essential. There are about 4 on my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just home, I was able to leave early. Hairy enough out there already.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Gusting 60 knots off the maritime forecast now between 4pm and 7pm for Country...... Please be careful. Mad stuff Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Gusting 60 knots off the maritime forecast

Whats that in real money ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

D3V!L wrote: »
    Whats that in real money ?

69 MPH.

This from the RSA:

Road Safety Alert – Orange Weather Warning Issued for Strong Winds

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) is advising all road users today to take extreme care when using the roads as Met Éireann has issued an orange weather alert warning of winds of speeds of 65 to 80 km/h and will gust between 110 and 130 km/h in Munster, Leinster, Galway and Roscommon areas. There is a risk that these speeds could be exceeded during the afternoon, especially in the exposed western coastal areas.

The RSA also advises road users to:

• Beware of objects being blown out onto the road and to expect the unexpected. In particular watch out for falling/fallen debris on the road and vehicles veering across the road. Control of a vehicle may be affected by strong cross winds. High sided vehicles and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds.
    • Drivers should allow extra space around vulnerable road users such as cyclists and motorcyclists as they may be blown off course by strong winds.
    • Watch out for vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.
    • Use dipped headlights at all times of poor visibility not parking/side lights and fog lights.

Pedestrians should take extra care when crossing the road or cycling in extremely windy conditions as a sudden gust of wind could blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

• Pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists are advised to be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.
    • Pedestrians should walk on a footpath, not in the street. Walk on the right hand side of the road, facing traffic if there are no footpaths.

For advice on severe weather driving tips please see severe weather advice on the RSA website or check out the RSA Facebook and Twitter pages.

For more weather updates visit Met Eireann’s website www.met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

yez are all gone soft......:P

Just home. Worst wind so far this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm in Swords and need to get to Sandyford, is it forecast to die down any time soon or get worse? I can stay in work for an hour or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'm in Swords and need to get to Sandyford, is it forecast to die down any time soon or get worse? I can stay in work for an hour or two...
    Doesn't die down till midnight. M50 is usually grand till that high part past Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Cienciano wrote: »
    Doesn't die down till midnight. M50 is usually grand till that high part past Tallaght.

I wouldn't go near the M50 ......8pm forecast to abate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

very bad alright - wouldnt be encouraging anyone else out in it tbh

The Met Eireann short range forecast is good for this sort of thing. Click on the Wind tab.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Rare to see red for winds over Dublin.

Scrap the cap!

Went the m1 then through town, motorway was a but bogey as was crossing the Liffey but otherwise manageable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you can avoid it, Do.
    There was a cyclist killed last weekend in Kerry, strong winds on a two wheeler and traffic do not mix.
    Stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I hate wind and ice, other conditions are fine. And I hate wind when I'm stationary, you know when you're at lights at a junction and the wind funnels down the street you're about to go down and nearly(luckily) knocks you off. When I'm moving I can steer into or against it, but when you're stopped you're dependent on your leg strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

More strong winds and heavy wind forecast for later today and this evening.
    Be carefull out there.

More strong winds and heavy wind forecast for later today and this evening.
    Be carefull out there.

Layed it down today. Small scuff on the plastic part of the hand guard. I just left work and was stopped at the traffic lights. Nothing special about the wind or anything. Next thing as big gust hit me from right to left. Ive strong legs but i knew the bike was going down. If it hasn't happened any of you before it feels like Hulk Hogan grabs your handle bars and pulls you to the side. You pray that the wind lets up but it doesn't:(

I cant flat foot on this bike. Would it have helped if I could?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

bummer, sorry to hear :(

prob would have helped.. your legs can go at a wider stance if you can flat foot, so you can have more bracing against the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Got home in one piece. Rain stopped as I sat on the bike. Still gusty.
    Hopefully everyone gets home OK. Sorry to hear Richard tea

Found it very bad today, came home on the m50 which was manageable with one or two nasty gusts but then when I was going to the atm in sandyford industrial estate I caught a massive gust which blew me across almost an entire lane. I would have only been doing 30-40 k at the time, unnerving!

• Advertisement

That was nearly as bad as last Friday, not a peep about it on the radio this morning :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Layed it down today. Small scuff on the plastic part of the hand guard. I just left work and was stopped at the traffic lights. Nothing special about the wind or anything. Next thing as big gust hit me from right to left. Ive strong legs but i knew the bike was going down. If it hasn't happened any of you before it feels like Hulk Hogan grabs your handle bars and pulls you to the side. You pray that the wind lets up but it doesn't:(

Ah no way,are you allright?
    Hope there not too much damage.

I hear ye, the trick is, is to not go to the top of the junction but hang back a few yards, if its really bad, drive over to the kerb and put one foot on that, if there's a bus at the head of the queue, pull up beside it not in front of it, same with cars.
    Do some leg work, do you even lift bra? :)

Ah no way,are you allright?
    Hope there not too much damage.

I didnt even hit the deck. No damage except for a scuff to the plastic hand guard. As Hotblack mentioned, there was no real warning. Lesson learned I suppose

Man, ye don't need a warning to know its shíte outside, you can tell by going outside :)

Man, ye don't need a warning to know its shíte outside, you can tell by going outside :)

Lol I know. I walked around all morning it. Not once did I feel it was excessively blustery. It was a freak gust.

It was a bit breezy this morning but nothing special. If it's forecast to be 40+ knots later on that day it's not unreasonable to think that weather forecasts might say something about that?

People can take different transport options if they know early enough in the day. It can be fine in the morning but get very bad later and it's predictable so why not let people make informed decisions.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lol I know. I walked around all morning it. Not once did I feel it was excessively blustery. It was a freak gust.

Sorry to hear that. I got home the usual time, didn't think it was too bad, id been out in worse over the years that scared me ****less.
    But a little while later I went out the front of the house and there was this mad gust from nowhere, which wudda caused serious grief if id been on the bike at the time.
    Be safe out there

Advertisement