Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stray cat in city centre

• 17-11-2015 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

I work on Dublin city centre and in our underground car park this morning I saw a little kitten run back inside behind a shed. I went over and had a look behind and there he/she was sitting in some sort of old box. It's behind some fencing so I couldn't get to it and it just stared back out at me. It's not a new born but is youngish enough but don't know if it's on it's own or whether its mother has gone off to look for food etc. but what's the correct thing to do here? Do I call the (snip) to come and pick it up or is it normal enough for cats to live around the city and I should leave it be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There are a significant amount of stray cats about the place with hungry bellies, and that's the problem, it is hard to know what to do.

Report it and the cat may be euthinised if not adopted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Just google cat charities Dublin and you will have a big choice.

You really should contact someone, what a lot of the charities do is catch the cat/kitten then neuter it then lease it again which is more responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

More than likely, this kitten is not tame. Go on the Feral Cats Ireland facebook page with a message describing the situation as above. There are numerous cat charities doing great work in the city for feral cats and kittens and one of them maybe able to help. The likelihood is there are more kittens there and now that they're past the age that their mum would bring them food, I can't imagine they are finding anything to eat in an underground carpark. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thanks for the replies. I'm not on Facebook but I sent them an email via their website.

Just to update you I went down at lunchtime and he was still there but this time fast asleep. I tried tapping the cage to wake him but he didn't budge. I went and bought some cat food and left it for him with some water and when I was going home in the evening he was awake and sitting in his basket but didn't seem to have touched the food. I don't know much about cats but whenever I'm out jogging or walking and come across a cat they always seem to scarper whenever I get close to them but this little fella just sits there and stares and didn't seem intimidated despite the fact that there were 4 of us looking in at him (although there was a fence between us). Someone said he looks about 2-3 months old. The fact that he was walking around the car park when I first saw him doesn't lead me to believe he's injured but who knows?. The old basket is in between a gap of about 2 feet between a prefab building and the wall at the back of the car park and there is a palisade fence on either side to prevent dumping. There is a lock on the fence on one side but there's no key. Security said they could use a bolt cutters to open it up but I don't want to startle him and make him run off. I'll see if he's there in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Thank you for trying to help this cat Jack. So many people would just awww and keep going on their way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I have a trap that I would be happy to give you if you think it would help. We get a lot of strays where we live and often trap and neuter and re-home (or sometimes keep!). It's one of those ones that you put some food in and then it springs shut when they take the food. You can PM me if you want. Also if you want a hand trapping him I work in the city centre and I could go along to try t help.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I have a trap that I would be happy to give you if you think it would help. We get a lot of strays where we live and often trap and neuter and re-home (or sometimes keep!). It's one of those ones that you put some food in and then it springs shut when they take the food. You can PM me if you want. Also if you want a hand trapping him I work in the city centre and I could go along to try t help.

Thanks for the offer but the cat was gone this morning. The basket was overturned but the food and water were still there untouched so God only knows where the little fella went. Security went and took the lock off the gate today so we can get into the spot now but I doubt he'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

go back a few times and see if you can see the kitten. Its a good sign if he is not fleeing when you come along.

aonb wrote: »
    go back a few times and see if you can see the kitten. Its a good sign if he is not fleeing when you come along.

I've been checking a couple of times a day both yesterday and today and no sign. I'll have another look tmw.

Advertisement