Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I am on board we the wetek group buy. Must be 13/14 of us now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Delivery left Northampton hub at 22:00 last night. looking good for the estimated 4th Dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

did a thread get started to talk about the set-up couldn't find it in the search.

No , I don't think so. I'll do one in Android Devices when I get a minute, my issues with Kodi are many :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

MRTULES wrote: »
    Lads, any comments on the fire TV box seeing as its down to 65 pounds.
    Seems to be decent specs. How would it fare compared to other boxes at a similar price.

You could get a Fire TV stick for €35 here at Currys.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/amazon-fire-tv-stick-8-gb/333163/397.3.1

I have one and it does everything I need from a streaming box, which is run Kodi and Plex. I'm more a fan of Plex as at least you know your content is there and if you pay for an account you can watch it from anywhere. Kodi can be a head-melter with broken and non-existent streams but if you don't mind tinkering around now and then it's good for the sports, if not always reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

I went for a box for me and my dad both. Only started using Kodi recently and want something easy to use for him. The reason I went for the box was because it has an ethernet connection which the stick lacks and the WiFi coverage is patchy in the main room. For the price I think it should be a bargain as I already have a few enigma boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If there's anyone organising a new group buy, can they PM me.
    Signed up for the first and then completely forgot about it (typically)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Are we talking fire stick ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

dodzy wrote: »
    Delivery left Northampton hub at 22:00 last night. looking good for the estimated 4th Dec

Looks like our order is exactly 24hrs behind yours which would keep ours on target for the 7th then as they don't deliver at weekends here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

Fire stick not in stock anywhere yet it seems

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Looks like our order is exactly 24hrs behind yours which would keep ours on target for the 7th then as they don't deliver at weekends here unfortunately.
    Thank god aquos, as you're massively undercutting me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

If there's anyone organising a new group buy, can they PM me.
    Signed up for the first and then completely forgot about it (typically)

Also interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

I was talking about fire TV box not stick. I'd be pretty sure the box is a lot better, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

MRTULES wrote: »
    I was talking about fire TV box not stick. I'd be pretty sure the box is a lot better, no?

The box is a more powerful device but if you're just using it for streaming, there's no difference really. You do need good wireless for the stick though as there's no Ethernet so you can't connect directly to a router.

Sorry for contributing to this o/t mini-thread :-( but I do think the Fire TV stick is good value at €35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

groom wrote:
    If you're in the market for one the Amazon Fire TV and TV Stick are superb. They'll probably be discounted coming up to Black Friday. I got them last year for £49 (Fire TV) and £25(TV Stick) with Amazon Prime.

+1
    Rock solid

My experience so far is completely bonkers , had major issues with iptv and live tv in kodi nothing worked or worked for more than 2 minutes before ****ting it self.

Flashed android to nand and ran kodi there and did the same set ups and everything works perfectly :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

On a brighter note, took out my hard bricked/no power wetek play the other day. I had left it a few months ago.
    Ordered an RS232 to USB and decided to have a go at it this morning.
    I thought it was gone as there was\seemed to be no power (no light, no signal).

Back working perfectly now!! :D
    Just installing openELEC now.

Just checked tracking on our order. It's "out for delivery" as of 08:48 this morning

I've set up a thread on the Android forum here for users to post any tips or feedback on the WETEK Play over the coming weeks.

Update: The eagles have landed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Allyall wrote: »
    On a brighter note, took out my hard bricked/no power wetek play the other day. I had left it a few months ago.
    Ordered an RS232 to USB and decided to have a go at it this morning.
    I thought it was gone as there was\seemed to be no power (no light, no signal).

Back working perfectly now!! :D
    Just installing openELEC now.

That's a great price for the cable!
    You using it for laptop to Wetek?

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    That's a great price for the cable!
    You using it for laptop to Wetek?

Yep.
    Used the Serial that came with the Wetek to that to the laptop.

I'm chuffed.. :)
    I was convinced it was gone, as I had the case open, flashed an image that didn't work and when I went to unplug it, the power cable got caught, yanked out and I dropped it. :o
    Needless to say, when I tried to power it on, Nothing. So I said I'd get back to it and never did until this morning.

Weirdly, when I connected it to the terminal, nothing showed up except "AML_8726_V3#" - (I presume relating to the CPU)

But at least I knew something was happening. Shorted it and flashed recovery.

All present and correct. Just in from work.

I'll do my best to get to the PO tomorrow to get them sent off. Working all day so Monday morning post at the very least. You guys should have them Tues/Wed. All reg post so try to ensure someone is there to take delivery!

370712.JPG

Note: Just noticed that they come with a flat 2 pin plus regular 2 pin adaptor. We will need another 2 >> 3 pin adaptor also ( or a 12V 1500mah supply to eliminate the 2 adaptors ):mad:

370713.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I'll do my best to get to the PO tomorrow to get them sent off. Working all day so Monday morning post at the very least. You guys should have them Tues/Wed. All reg post so try to ensure someone is there to take delivery!

Note: Just noticed that they come with a flat 2 pin plus regular 2 pin adaptor. We will need another 2 >> 3 pin adaptor also ( or a 12V 1500mah supply to eliminate the 2 adaptors ):mad:

The american style flat pins will fit directly in a shaver adaper, they are about a euro in Dealz, Euro general etc. This has the added benefit of having a 1A fuse as these chinese adapters like to go up in smoke.

6906_12.jpg

Different boxes than mine came in. But mine were the Wetek Play, white and blue.
    They look bigger too.

Fair play dodzy, hopefully ours will land on Monday now, I'll be ready to have them shipped off Monday evening if they do come. ParcelMotel sent me down the shipping bags yesterday also.

1A61D7DA-78F6-4961-8836-2548924FAB4D_zpsvfgcxpd0.jpg

So anyone who has ordered from me, if ye would be so kind to drop me an email to the Paypal address I supplied ye all with, include your full name, email address, phone number, Parcel Motel ID if you are registered, if you aren't, then the chosen Parcel motel location that you'd like your parcel delivered too. I'll then reply to that mail asking you to forward on payment of €3.95 to my Paypal or my Revolut acc. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any chance you'd accept past!sent direct to your bank account? Would cost 2 extra euro me to send to you via PayPal. If not Paypal is fine, said I'd ask anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

RossieMan wrote: »
    Would cost 2 extra euro me to send to you via PayPal.

Are you sure your not CavanMan :D

RossieMan wrote: »
    Any chance you'd accept past!sent direct to your bank account? Would cost 2 extra euro me to send to you via PayPal. If not Paypal is fine, said I'd ask anyway.

Where are you getting the €2 extra?

BD6F08D5-65A6-46A4-A72A-BD668022F20C_zpsp5zqpzy8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Fair play dodzy, hopefully ours will land on Monday now, I'll be ready to have them shipped off Monday evening if they do come. ParcelMotel sent me down the shipping bags yesterday also.

1A61D7DA-78F6-4961-8836-2548924FAB4D_zpsvfgcxpd0.jpg

Christ, for a second there thought you'd one-upped dodzy with free condoms :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Oh, looks like I know nothing about Paypal. Forget it. Paypal is perfect.

Every penny counts towards a bargain ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Isn't there some rule in place about having to supply a 3 pin adapter when selling to UK/Ireland? Nearly certain when I bought my Wetek Openelec box, I got a 3 pin with it. Might be worth contacting them - maybe they'll send some on.

• Advertisement

370712.JPG

370713.JPG

Mine came with a 3 pin adaptor loose in the TNT bag, what you posted comes in the boxes. Nearly threw it out here and missed it for ages, unless they screwed a bulk order out of them and they packed them all in one big box or something and didn't put adaptors in ?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Mine came with a 3 pin adaptor loose in the TNT bag, what you posted comes in the boxes. Nearly threw it out here and missed it for ages, unless they screwed a bulk order out of them and they packed them all in one big box or something and didn't put adaptors in ?
    I'll have a look in the bottom of the box in the morning but it looked perfectly packed: 3 x 4. I'll try get to Dealz and see if I can pick up a dozen cheapies similar to the one crabby linked earlier.

Sorry for hi Rez pic as its from the phone and I couldn't be arsed resizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

If an order is still open can someone include my name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'll have a look in the bottom of the box in the morning but it looked perfectly packed: 3 x 4. I'll try get to Dealz and see if I can pick up a dozen cheapies similar to the one crabby linked earlier.

Sorry for hi Rez pic as its from the phone and I couldn't be arsed resizing.

You didn't buy us all adapters did you? You're mad! Thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

dmc17 wrote: »
    You didn't buy us all adapters did you? You're mad! Thanks :D

That's what happens, when Aquos76 undercut him on delivery :-)

And rightly so if he did, least he could do for ye :):):)

Seriously thou, if you did, fair bloody play.

And rightly so if he did, least he could do for ye :):):)

Seriously thou, if you did, fair bloody play.

Invincible has it on the head. That fecker aquos guilted me into it.

Nah, on a serious note, crabby suggested it earlier and I never thought of it. Went in this morning on my way to work and took the 12 that were left. I just did not want to disappoint the troops when they opened their parcels to find they had to rip the place apart for an adapter or else wedge the 2pin into their sockets. Only €1.49 a pop so not an issue. Good karma will ensure I get 6 numbers on the lotto tonight;)

On aside note aquos, those PM bags look a bit small! :)

You reckon, I'd say I'll have no bother getting two into each bag if needed😄

37C2F161-27B2-4839-8FE3-6280A64FB53E_zpsziaya6qr.jpg

On the subject of sorting out the delivery of these, so far only about a half dozen have been back in touch with me giving me their details. I hope to start distributing these on Monday and I think PM want me to do it all in a single delivery so the sooner people get back in touch the sooner I'll be able to send them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Invincible has it on the head. That fecker aquos guilted me into it.

Nah, on a serious note, crabby suggested it earlier and I never thought of it. Went in this morning on my way to work and took the 12 that were left. I just did not want to disappoint the troops when they opened their parcels to find they had to rip the place apart for an adapter or else wedge the 2pin into their sockets. Only €1.49 a pop so not an issue. Good karma will ensure I get 6 numbers on the lotto tonight;)

Fair play man above and beyond the call of duty, we all owe ya one for that :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

You reckon, I'd say I'll have no bother getting two into each bag if needed😄

On the subject of sorting out the delivery of these, so far only about a half dozen have been back in touch with me giving me their details. I hope to start distributing these on Monday and I think PM want me to do it all in a single delivery so the sooner people get back in touch the sooner I'll be able to send them out.

I send you an email earlier, but no link for payment or should I send it to the email?

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    I send you an email earlier, but no link for payment or should I send it to the email?

Yeah sorry, ye can send the money to the same email on either Paypal or Revolut, thanks very much.

called around to my folks earlier, knew my dad would be good for a RF to BNC adaptor, the DVB-T came with one, needed a second to loop back to the TV so I can tune TV without wetek interface. Was experiencing some issues on the box with UK HD channels where the audio was like the snow noise you get if you have no station tuned on an old TV

Set TV to auto tune and they all work perfectly. Goes to show just how sh1te the tuner is on samsung TV's, the UK channels will tune but not play well if at all on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

I bought a (MINIX neo x8-H plus)great box.. builds are simple to put together a monkey could do it ,or you can download builds for free .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I went down the Fire Stick route as I was just looking for something for the bedroom TV.
    Simple enough to set up, side loaded Kodi and several others along with a customisable launch screen.
    Pretty impressed so far for a cheap pieces of kit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Folks I'm planning on getting a streaming box but admit to not knowing an awful lot.
    I know people who have the arnu box a Linux based yoke, I see jarvisbox on facebook claim its a far superior box to any android box, any thoughts?

Dcully wrote: »
    Folks I'm planning on getting a streaming box but admit to not knowing an awful lot.
    I know people who have the arnu box a Linux based yoke, I see jarvisbox on facebook claim its a far superior box to any android box, any thoughts?

For the money, no way.
    The thing that kickstarted these boxes was price. They were cheap and cheerful.

For those prices you could buy a mini pc (Gigabyte brix, intel nuc, zotac zbox etc.) - Even with the unfavourable exchange rate from the UK.
    Add a cheap Chinese brand SSD and some RAM, A €10 remote, and you can install whatever you want, and have plenty of change left over.

Allyall wrote: »
    For the money, no way.
    The thing that kickstarted these boxes was price. They were cheap and cheerful.

For those prices you could buy a mini pc (Gigabyte brix, intel nuc, zotac zbox etc.) - Even with the unfavourable exchange rate from the UK.
    Add a cheap Chinese brand SSD and some RAM, A €10 remote, and you can install whatever you want, and have plenty of change left over.

I was looking at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X3TA5KU?psc=1&redirect=true&redirect=true&ref_=nav_signin&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Aquos, any plans for another group buy? I have the money ready to go!

Dcully wrote: »

IMO, not at that price. That box can be bought from Amazon for roughly £30 (~€42).
    The M8S+ is the newest version of them and can be found for around €70 delivered.

Firestick is better value imo (Still £24.99?), or an MXQ S85 or MXQ HD18Q (both less than €40 delivered and can dual bot from a micro SD into OpenELEC). The latter may not support 4K, but by the time that's really relevant to you, these boxes will have moved way beyond any of these mentioned.

Sorry for the messy post, I'm tying with an on screen keyboard and it's taking forever. :(

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement