Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Allyall wrote: »
    We got them in a group buy for €53.99 on Blackfriday/CyberMonday offer.
    http://webshop.openelec.tv/

€90 now, probably a bit much....

May pop up in new year at a discounted Sale price given the new model is being sold.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

All my deliveries bar one, are all en-route now, I've just been emailed all tracking details. Hopefully ye will all have them by tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

DERICKOO wrote: »
    May pop up in new year at a discounted Sale price given the new model is being sold.

Is that the Wetek Core?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Is that the Wetek Core?

Yeah, goes on sale on Thursday

http://core.wetek.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

We got them in a group buy for €53.99 on Blackfriday/CyberMonday offer.
    http://webshop.openelec.tv/

€90 now, probably a bit much....

How do i know which tuner to get or which is best for me?

rogieop wrote: »
    How do i know which tuner to get or which is best for me?

DVB-S2 is Satellite
    DVB-C\T\T2\ is Terrestrial and Cable Europe\Africa\Australia
    ATSC is Terrestrial and Cable USA

DVB-S2 is Satellite
    DVB-C\T\T2\ is Terrestrial and Cable Europe\Africa\Australia
    ATSC is Terrestrial and Cable USA

ok so bear with me here, ive already got the basic sky package. Dont pay for sports or movies. so if i went for the satelite one what extra would i be getting?

What exactly do you get on thes boxes? the mrs is bleating on about wanting one for xmas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

ok so bear with me here, ive already got the basic sky package. Dont pay for sports or movies. so if i went for the satelite one what extra would i be getting?

What exactly do you get on thes boxes? the mrs is bleating on about wanting one for xmas..

Why does she want to get one if ye don't even know what they box is for :confused:

Snowc wrote: »
    Why does she want to get one if ye don't even know what they box is for :confused:

well she obviously knows but ive not really got any interest in it.

Is it basically just for downloading and using showbox etc etc?

If so i already have chromecast so not much point getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

What exactly is the Mrs looking for in terms of viewing ?

The box in question is Android based which comes pre-loaded with openELEC. There is an integrated satellite tuner, the appeal of which to many is that you can have the Android / Kodi platform plus all your usual UK channels which are Free-to-Air via satellite, integrated into one box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 thelynchs

Aquos76 wrote: »
    All my deliveries bar one, are all en-route now, I've just been emailed all tracking details. Hopefully ye will all have them by tomorrow.

Just picked mine up.....thanks a million Aquos for all you help.....let the games begin !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Your answer to my question earlier today, is this the best you can do, thought I made my question as reasonable as possible
    zerks wrote: »
    Android/Dream Box

My question
    bogman wrote: »
    Like a lot of people that pop in here, have a browse around and have no knowledge of Kodi or streaming boxes, different types of tuners and what they do, at the same time I haven't a clue where to start or even if this is the best device to get, (ive even seen a comment stating that if you don't know what Kodi is then this unit isn't for you) these devices seem to be the business, don't want to annoy anybody so apologies to the experts on here, could anyone put me on the right track without saying "look up google"
    Like others I have a basic enough Sky package but would like more.
    My internet speed is around 5 or 6mb, due to be upgraded to E-fiber in the first quarter 2016
    I assume the group deal is over at this stage
    Thanks in advance....hope some of you can put me on the right track...

Your answer to my question earlier today, is this the best you can do, thought I made my question as reasonable as possible

You have to tread carefully here bogman. The boards charter specifically prohibits talk of anything piracy related. I'm guessing you heard from a 'mate in the local' that these things are the bees neez and they can do all sorts of stuff. That may well be so but it can't be discussed here. Zerks wasn't being a smartarse I'm sure. I'd have sent you to google aswell. If you are looking for a recommendation for a cheap android box, just go to Amazon and search for 'android box'. Pick one that suits your wallet but more importantly has good reviews. These are key. The rest is up to you. A little ground work will stand you well in your quest.

It was a thread that discusses and suggests different boxes, and a very good place to start..

It's hard to say any are "the best" box, as each offer different value for the money spent.
    That's another reason why he directed you to that thread I'd imagine.
    It has different posters talking about and comparing different boxes.
    You wouldn't be expected to read the whole thread, but if you skimmed over it, you should see some decent suggestions.

There are boxes for €20-€30 and other boxes for €150-€200.

If you get a cheap one, you can use them the same way as a more expensive one, but you can also mess about modding it and learning how to install custom firmwares etc.. without worrying too much whether or not you brick it.

If you go for a middle of the road one and just install the basics, it should do everything you want/expect. Honestly, by skimming over that thread you will get the best answers, without anyone repeating themselves or suggesting the same boxes\knocking the same boxes again.

Just to confirm, all my boxed should be with their rightful owners now. All RECEIVED and signed for yesterday morning. I did not recognise some of the names on the tracking so if there's any hassle, just shoot me a PM and i'll pass on the name of the person who signed for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Got mine from PM this morning. Will be playing with it after work, if my internet is back today!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Aquos76, my box arrived this AM - many thanks for all your efforts on this...will report back on how it goes in the other thread.

Already had a one issue, but turned out to be that just the HDMI cable shipped with it was faulty. Looking good now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It was a thread that discusses and suggests different boxes, and a very good place to start..

It's hard to say any are "the best" box, as each offer different value for the money spent.
    That's another reason why he directed you to that thread I'd imagine.
    It has different posters talking about and comparing different boxes.
    You wouldn't be expected to read the whole thread, but if you skimmed over it, you should see some decent suggestions.

There are boxes for €20-€30 and other boxes for €150-€200.

If you get a cheap one, you can use them the same way as a more expensive one, but you can also mess about modding it and learning how to install custom firmwares etc.. without worrying too much whether or not you brick it.

If you go for a middle of the road one and just install the basics, it should do everything you want/expect. Honestly, by skimming over that thread you will get the best answers, without anyone repeating themselves or suggesting the same boxes\knocking the same boxes again.

MK808b, for running Kodi and all Kodi can do with it's video add ons...
    Google MK808b and then Google Kodi and the Google Kodi Add Ons

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Received this from parcel motel
    'Unfortunately we are experiencing a bit of a backlog due to the Christmas rush.
    Your parcel should be with you for tomorrow or Friday at the latest. If the parcel hasn't been delivered by Friday please let me know and I will investigate this for you.'

Has anyone else had a "delayed" notification from Parcel Motel before I ring Orla and make some enquirers with her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

dodzy wrote: »
    You have to tread carefully here bogman.

Understand 100% now, thanks again, also to zerks, dozy and Allyall, I have very little knowledge of the topic and originally thinking of the latest Chromecast but have no problem spending a few bob on something better, will do more research, if anyone wants to pm some advice id appreciate it, thanks.....Charles

Understand 100% now, thanks again, also to zerks, dozy and Allyall, I have very little knowledge of the topic and originally thinking of the latest Chromecast but have no problem spending a few bob on something better, will do more research, if anyone wants to pm some advice id appreciate it, thanks.....Charles
    Without going OT, this is a decent deal considering its got the keyboard included and dispatches from UK so no slow-boat 4plus week delivery times from the East.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018S6ZPQ6?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Aquos76, my box arrived this AM - many thanks for all your efforts on this...will report back on how it goes in the other thread.

Already had a one issue, but turned out to be that just the HDMI cable shipped with it was faulty. Looking good now.

I think the one that came with mine was faulty also.

I couldn't get a picture through it, and feared my telly was fecked! But I plugged in the one that was going to the playstation and bob's your uncle :D

Off to dealz to get a replacement for €1.49 with me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Has anyone else had a "delayed" notification from Parcel Motel before I ring Orla and make some enquirers with her?

Ah here!!! You're just looking for any excuse to ring her now......

Ah here!!! You're just looking for any excuse to ring her now......

Oops, caught :)

Oops, caught :)

I just collected mine, Rotten weather.
    You could ring her about that if you want? :D

Haven't opened them yet, getting the warmth first.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

I'm in a similar boat to bigman and others whereby I know the basics of what I want but I don't know the best device (or brand) and don't want to end up with a poor device that's not future proof because I picked a cheap product.

From my reading of this thread, the other more technical thread and some general research I've worked out that there are a number of options

The mk808 recommended above is low cost but only wifi. I want an Ethernet port to ensure no reliance on poor wifi.

So that leaves mxq/m8/m8s/m8s+ devices.

Does anyone have any wise words or recommendations pls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

I'm in a similar boat to bigman and others whereby I know the basics of what I want but I don't know the best device (or brand) and don't want to end up with a poor device that's not future proof because I picked a cheap product.

From my reading of this thread, the other more technical thread and some general research I've worked out that there are a number of options

The mk808 recommended above is low cost but only wifi. I want an Ethernet port to ensure no reliance on poor wifi.

MXIII 2GB
    Widows box (pipo)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 decelec

No sign of mine yet 😞.
    Probably a bit late to call her.

decelec wrote: »
    No sign of mine yet 😞.
    Probably a bit late to call her.

Just sent you a PM with your tracking number, strange that it hasn't got to your locker yet!

• Advertisement

Of the 23 deliveries sent out, it seem that 17 have now been collected or are waiting in lockers, the remaining ones are either on route or in a queue waiting for an empty locker at the PM location. If anyone still hasn't received theirs by tomorrow let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Depends if you are solely interested in the streaming aspect or need it to receive satellite too. I already have a sat box and wanted a streaming box for Kodi so went with the new Amazon fire tv box. I'm delighted with it thus far, easy to use and the fastest device I've ever run Kodi on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

got mine today
    thanks for all your time and effort put in :)
    well appreciated and quick delivery too
    now to burn some micro sd cards

on another note
    the wetek core is out now buts its 119 euro :eek:
    and no tuners
    https://wetek.com/shop/wetek-core

Of the 23 deliveries sent out, it seem that 17 have now been collected or are waiting in lockers, the remaining ones are either on route or in a queue waiting for an empty locker at the PM location. If anyone still hasn't received theirs by tomorrow let me know.

Depends if you are solely interested in the streaming aspect or need it to receive satellite too. I already have a sat box and wanted a streaming box for Kodi so went with the new Amazon fire tv box. I'm delighted with it thus far, easy to use and the fastest device I've ever run Kodi on.

Just streaming for now. I have sky sub and can't see myself canx just cos it's easier for Mrs to work. Was thinking Amazon Fire but looking at lowest cost option. Will check mxiii recommendation

Invincible wrote: »
    MXIII 2GB
    Widows box (pipo)

I think mxiii is the best bet for me now. ~£40 on amazon

GY A1 wrote: »
    got mine today
    thanks for all your time and effort put in :)
    well appreciated and quick delivery too
    now to burn some micro sd cards

on another note
    the wetek core is out now buts its 119 euro :eek:
    and no tuners
    https://wetek.com/shop/wetek-core

On the subject of sd cards, Argos currently have a very good deal on 64gb ones for €18

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=686650

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

I think mxiii is the best bet for me now. ~£40 on amazon

are you getting the 1gb or 2gb - interested mysekf but don't know which one to get. some have keyboards thrown in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cant seem to find an amazon seller who ships the amazon tv to Ireland and has stock.
    Is this mxiii any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Dcully wrote: »
    Cant seem to find an amazon seller who ships the amazon tv to Ireland and has stock.
    Is this mxiii any good?

Yeah I noticed that too. Could always use Parcel Wizard!

• Advertisement

The MXQ S85 is available from "EU warehouse" for €36.60 from those who shall not be named.
    You won't find it that cheap with EU shipping anywhere else I don't think.

I think EU shipping should get here before Christmas, but it'll be around 20th-23rd Usually 1½ weeks.

They also have many sellers selling the MXIII 4k for ~ €55 (£40) , but I didn't check if they were in the EU as there is too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

Dcully wrote: »
    Is this mxiii any good?

There's a thread here too, if you buy £30 in Amazon vouchers, you'll get £7 free, leave your Fire TV @ £57.99

Edit: It was £64.99, gone back to £79.99 again.

Tesco direct.com have it for £64, but currently out of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Invincible wrote: »
    There's a thread here too, if you buy £30 in Amazon vouchers, you'll get £7 free, leave your Fire TV @ £57.99

Edit: It was £64.99, gone back to £79.99 again.

Glad I pulled the trigger on this On Sunday now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Currys have Amazon Fire stick for €35 and €5 delivery ,not available in store only online.
    Far better

Batesout wrote: »
    Currys have Amazon Fire stick for €35 and €5 delivery ,not available in store only online.
    Far better......
    ......Than what exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wonk

collected the wetek last night, thanks aquos76!

is there any more talk of another thread on getting these weteks setup and advice or just do a bit of googling?

next step get a plug adaptor and an sd card is a must? would you recommend 64gb?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I got mine from droidbox.co.uk as they preinstall everything on them. If anyone is looking for an air remote these ones are great. http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-F20-Control-Keyboard-Leaning-Feature/dp/B00EPE4A08/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1449740867&sr=8-4&keywords=android+remote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

an 8gb sd card is sufficient for an enigma2 image,
    you could then use a usb stick/usb hdd for recording memory.

I'm sure I read on wetek forum or other that if u used a bigger sd card the memory was tied up with the image and could'nt be used for recording.

wonk wrote: »

is there any more talk of another thread on getting these weteks setup and advice or just do a bit of googling?

next step get a plug adaptor and an sd card is a must? would you recommend 64gb?

cheers

wonk wrote: »

cheers

Dealz for the adapter. €1.49

8gb is fine for general use and alternative image flash.

Thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057523594

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

No answer from parcel motel today as to when mine is to be ready for collection shocking customer service from them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

What is the advantage of getting an SD card, Enigna, or anything else for that matter, over the OpenElec that is built into the Wetek? Better performance, more functionality or what? And does Enimga also have kodi?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement