Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Got that email.....clowns.

They must have had load of returns the amazon content doesn't work on an Irish IP could be amazon calling it back too as they are unlikely to have licenced the the content for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

They must have had load of returns the amazon content doesn't work on an Irish IP could be amazon calling it back too as they are unlikely to have licenced the the content for Ireland.

Probably, but I've no interest in Amazon content. As long as it runs Plex and Kodi, which it does exceptionally well, I'm more than happy. Was surprised to see it on the Currys Ireland website for €35. Have it up and running now. I sold an old Roku box for €20 to help pay for it. No way are they getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

its not sluggish - not running OpenElec anyways which is just barebones linux running Kodi. I also have a NUC and a few Pi2 boxes, and the Wetek is just as responsive as the NUC, and running smoother than the PI2 when playing 1080p content.

Thanks, that's reassuring ! I was thinking OpenElec would probably be the best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

This one for €44 on Living Social worth getting?

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1551340-android-quad-core-tv-box

It's an 'alright' price. Don't forget to add 7€ shipping so pushing the 50€ line. You can get them all day on Amazon cheaper. Box is basic 1gb/8gb mxq. Have had a few. They're ok. You'll also need to invest in a mini keyboard as the supplied RCs are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GaffCCFC

If you are looking to get an android/kodi/openElec box, willing to spend a little more and don't need the DVB feature, the Wetek Core is the one to go with.

Only released a couple of weeks ago and a superior piece of kit. Can't recommend it highly enough.

GaffCCFC wrote: »
    If you are looking to get an android/kodi/openElec box, willing to spend a little more and don't need the DVB feature, the Wetek Core is the one to go with.

Only released a couple of weeks ago and a superior piece of kit. Can't recommend it highly enough.

You can probably use a $5 usb tuner anyway, I have one setup on the pi 2
    http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Configuring_Tvheadend

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

The Fire Sticks have been taken off Curry's website too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

clancger wrote: »

Raging I missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

clancger wrote: »

was going order 1 last week but home delivery was 4.99
    left it then

GY A1 wrote: »
    was going order 1 last week but home delivery was 4.99
    left it then

Still making €10 cheaper than buying from Amazon or a UK site though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Morby

How much were the Fire Sticks on Currys?

Morby wrote: »
    How much were the Fire Sticks on Currys?

€35 apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Just wait until they're £25 again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

off topic:

why are Currys removing all Firestick stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Sent email last week looking for a good price on the core for group buy. They came back with €96 a pop. Meh.

dodzy wrote: »
    Sent email last week looking for a good price on the core for group buy. They came back with €96 a pop. Meh.

I just paid the 119.99 and to be honest, if I had known how great it would be, would have even paid a little more. Really feels like a premium product and super fast. Definitely worth the extra bucks.

Streams like a dream and the two OS work very quick, zero lag. Big thing for me too is the remote, highly functional, has air mouse included and also has a microphone built in for Google Now etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I just paid the 119.99 and to be honest, if I had known how great it would be, would have even paid a little more. Really feels like a premium product and super fast. Definitely worth the extra bucks.

Streams like a dream and the two OS work very quick, zero lag. Big thing for me too is the remote, highly functional, has air mouse included and also has a microphone built in for Google Now etc.

Looks nice, how long did delivery take? Have a firestick voice, was looking to set it up for the old man. I can get it to work reasonably well with sideloaded apps etc but the air remote would be handy for sideloaded apps.....basically want it as simple as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

If anyone picked up a box here and is interested in selling a previous box they have to subsidies the cost (Only really want one with Kodi installed) drop me a PM! :)

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Looks nice, how long did delivery take? Have a firestick voice, was looking to set it up for the old man. I can get it to work reasonably well with sideloaded apps etc but the air remote would be handy for sideloaded apps.....basically want it as simple as possible.

I actually got one for the father for Christmas as well. Very simple to set up and very easy to use.

I was a bit panicked about choosing the standard delivery as it comes from Slovenia, they state it takes 3-5 days I think, so I opted for the "premium" delivery for €20. It made it from Ljubljana to Cork in 19 hours!

• Advertisement

Interesting, so it was 20 euro and they used DHL or an equivalent (just wondering if I ordered now would i get it in time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mel123

Anyone on here an expert in these boxes that i could PM to ask a few questions on what would best suit me if i tell you what im looking for?

Interesting, so it was 20 euro and they used DHL or an equivalent (just wondering if I ordered now would i get it in time)

They use TNT as the couriers. Ridiculously fast and they guarantee same day dispatch once you order.

Being that it is Friday, don't know if they deliver on weekends but you would have it 100% on Monday at the very latest.

Cheers, looks like the easiest solution as fire stick had some compromises. WeTek has the air remote +Kodi and Android I was looking for. Trying to explain side loading to my Dad on Christmas day is not something I was looking forward to doing!

Cheers, looks like the easiest solution as fire stick had some compromises. WeTek has the air remote +Kodi and Android I was looking for. Trying to explain side loading to my Dad on Christmas day is not something I was looking forward to doing!

Very same situation. Nearly pulled the trigger on a Firestick or Fire box myself because they do run Kodi so well but the Wetek offers way more freedom, the spec on it is top notch and it runs Kodi like a dream. Couldn't be arsed worrying about an Amazon firmware update which could stop sideloaded apps like Kodi working.

Downloaded the Showbox (Netflix type job but free) and Mobdro (all the Sports channels) apps on to it for the Dad as well. With those you wouldn't even need Kodi almost!

I know the feeling. Just a suggestion:
    - Aptoide takes away a lot of the hassle of loading apps directly on the fire tv stick.
    - If he has a smartphone then wukong remote takes care of the mouse functionality, app launching and can install the most common apps too. Older people seem to prefer the wukong touchpad style mouse to airmice
    - Esfileexplorer allows you to simply send apps installed on the phone to the tv also I will often update the app on the phone and send it that wy rather than waiting for it to show up on aptoide.
    Setting firestarter to load with 2 clicks of the home button make switching apps dead easy.

Biggest source of confusion I found is backing out of apps can leave some of them open invisibly causing all sorts of issues. Something like du speed boost, clean master, es task manager can close those.

• Advertisement

Thanks Crabbydaddy.

I will use the firestick for myself as a portable and for the other TV! I have an andorid TV (Sony) so have Kodi working etc no probs.

I have used a firestarter on the firestick that allows you to click/double click into a launcher with side loaded apps, works really well. I tested out Wukong but it did not work for me, only installed it last night so need more time with it.

Overall I don't mind playing around with and tinkering with these things, part of the fun for me, but the old man probably not so much.

Thanks Crabbydaddy.

I will use the firestick for myself as a portable and for the other TV! I have an andorid TV (Sony) so have Kodi working etc no probs.

I have used a firestarter on the firestick that allows you to click/double click into a launcher with side loaded apps, works really well. I tested out Wukong but it did not work for me, only installed it last night so need more time with it.

Overall I don't mind playing around with and tinkering with these things, part of the fun for me, but the old man probably not so much.

Let me know how you get on with the Wetek Core if you end up getting one!

Ordered one for the old man, could not resist so got one for myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

hey guys

I want to run pbnigma when i get my box and have just downloaded the image.

Does anyone know if I just copy the .img file straight to the micro sd card or is there a program I should use to format the micro sd card and tranfer the .img file to it?

Thanks in advance guys

Alan

hi download the image
    use win32diskmanager to burn the file (wetekplay-PBNIGMA.......sdcard) to the micro sd card
    unplug box
    insert sd card
    plug in
    and sd card will boot the image,
    follow the onscreen options to set up

hey guys

I want to run pbnigma when i get my box and have just downloaded the image.

Does anyone know if I just copy the .img file straight to the micro sd card or is there a program I should use to format the micro sd card and tranfer the .img file to it?

Thanks in advance guys

Alan

• Advertisement

Ordered one for the old man, could not resist so got one for myself too.

They are that bit dearer than the various Chinese brands but with the cheaper units there is always compromises to make whereas the Wetek seems to tick all of the boxes and them some.

Enjoy!

They are that bit dearer than the various Chinese brands but with the cheaper units there is always compromises to make whereas the Wetek seems to tick all of the boxes and them some.

Enjoy!

Yeah, figured the WeTek box can go into the living room in the old LG tv as the smart features are not that smart (and they removed a load of apps off it). That way the Mrs can use it....but also one extra remote to complain about :rolleyes:

Anyone buy from OpenElec site?

http://webshop.openelec.tv/

its the wetek Play with just OpenElec installed .. yellow leds on box while green on wetek site...spec much the same except for extra usb?? on wetek android box 89.99 euro.

assuming android can be manually installed afterwards ;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

its the wetek Play with just OpenElec installed .. yellow leds on box while green on wetek site...spec much the same except for extra usb?? on wetek android box 89.99 euro.

That's the one we are getting on the "group buy" here.

read back :D

Have all my files downloaded onto my SD card and am ready to rock

Can't wait to get this box :)

Is it pbnigma u have
    I'm using open atv
    As pbnigma is crashing when u run auto bouquet maker
    It's fine apart from that
    But I like auto bouquet maker as it puts all channels in there groups

Have all my files downloaded onto my SD card and am ready to rock

Can't wait to get this box :)

Is it pbnigma u have
    I'm using open atv
    As pbnigma is crashing when u run auto bouquet maker
    It's fine apart from that
    But I like auto bouquet maker as it puts all channels in there groups

Yeah I have pbnigma ready to go, I'm sure they will fix the auto bouquets maker soon

Have you got the picons and EPG sorted too?

Can I just ask can you swap between e2 and OE and vice versa without rebooting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

off topic:

why are Currys removing all Firestick stock?

Because you can't use Amazon Prime in Ireland and that's what it's mainly designed for. Folk here are sideloading Kodi and other apps on them but Amazon frown upon the practice.

read back :D

note to self RTFT :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Yes there's probably 100 or so of these boxes after been ordered through this thread

The openelec boxes are missing some stuff compared to the wetek shop one such as wetek membership and access to the wetek site where you can upload iptv lists but in my opinion it is not worth the extra.

Android can be installed manually afterwards but needs to be flashed to nand as trying to run it from msd card will brick it.

I have done a lot of reading on this box and seems while pbnigma is one of the more popular images out there due to swift ability to switch between kodi and enigma it is also under a lot of development to fix bugs etc as have been flagged for the oe remote, 2nd tuner, abm plugin etc.. Openatv seems to be more stable and is closer to the more popular openvix image (having started as a fork of it).. I am going to try both images but will start with openatv 1st..

One of the cool things about enigma and kodi is that if you have an enigma device with 2 tuners (eg this wetek box) and a separate kodi device in another room you can install the vu+/enigma addon in kodi set it up to have IP address of the main enigma box and then you can stream incoming feed to the kodi device from the enigma box :):):) (more specific demos are available on YouTube )

tommycahir wrote: »
    Yes there's probably 100 or so of these boxes after been ordered through this thread

The openelec boxes are missing some stuff compared to the wetek shop one such as wetek membership and access to the wetek site where you can upload iptv lists but in my opinion it is not worth the extra.

Android can be installed manually afterwards but needs to be flashed to nand as trying to run it from msd card will brick it.

I have done a lot of reading on this box and seems while pbnigma is one of the more popular images out there due to swift ability to switch between kodi and enigma it is also under a lot of development to fix bugs etc as have been flagged for the oe remote, 2nd tuner, abm plugin etc.. Openatv seems to be more stable and is closer to the more popular openvix image (having started as a fork of it).. I am going to try both images but will start with openatv 1st..

One of the cool things about enigma and kodi is that if you have an enigma device with 2 tuners (eg this wetek box) and a separate kodi device in another room you can install the vu+/enigma addon in kodi set it up to have IP address of the main enigma box and then you can stream incoming feed to the kodi device from the enigma box :):):) (more specific demos are available on YouTube )

Can you please report your findings after you try the 2 images mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭needinghelp

Looking for help with apps on this Android box - 4K TT TV BOX.
    Can someone PM me with a list of good apps for movies/sports?

TIA

TIA

Showbox for movies

Mobdro for sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭needinghelp

Thanks, is there anything else worthwhile putting on it?

TIA

Can't really discuss them on boards but have a look on kodicommunity.com and Michael-seo. Com websites for guides and reviews of addons, builds and skins for kodi..

Can you please report your findings after you try the 2 images mate :)

Sure once I get my hands on the box ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

I actually got one for the father for Christmas as well. Very simple to set up and very easy to use.

I was a bit panicked about choosing the standard delivery as it comes from Slovenia, they state it takes 3-5 days I think, so I opted for the "premium" delivery for €20. It made it from Ljubljana to Cork in 19 hours!

I ordered one Wednesday night, delivered today 40 hours later with just standard delivery. Full tracking too, really good service.

Spent a few hours looking up what box to get and ended up going with this, only seen some of your posts after I bought it but it sounds like I made a good choice!

Haven't opened it yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Pardon my ignorance, but i see that these boxes are openly available & just seen them recently in a Euronics mailing advertising them,

But when i asked about them in an electrical shop a few months ago, i was told that 'I don't do they, theyre illegal' ??

Do they have the same sentiment in when years ago a similar shop thought that double tape decks were illegal as well :P

But i've heard of someone in my area recently got android box/dream box they call it of a local guy, but how do you know which to go for, if you read up on some of the one's that could become problematic after a while?

As i assume the addons for certain things that can't be named are added on already?

Thanks for listening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So guys I'm eagerly awaiting my wetec ,what do I need to do when I get it to start getting access to movies,tv series and sports streams? out of the box how does it fair?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement