Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Comments

People need to know what they're buying. I have a 'fully loaded' Android box with way better specs than the Wetek, and considerably cheaper.

The Wetek box is nice, but I've found that I'm running Android on it so I can have certain apps which I use regularly. I also have multiple Sky+ boxes in the house, along with a couple of expired Sky UK cards, so I get all the UK FTA channels through them.

I haven't spent a load of time setting up the Satellite channels on the Wetek, but my impression is you're going to get a load of channels, but very few decent ones. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why people are spending hours on end setting the satellite channels up - are they getting loads of amazing HD sports channels and movie channels that I should be putting the effort in to get on my box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No they're just getting the general FTA channels.

You can get all the major channels, but not allowed discuss that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Basil3 wrote: »
    People need to know what they're buying. I have a 'fully loaded' Android box with way better specs than the Wetek, and considerably cheaper

Could you link to this please, via pm if it breaks forum rules?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

People need to know what they're buying. I have a 'fully loaded' Android box with way better specs than the Wetek, and considerably cheaper.

Out of interest, which box are you referring to, obviously having run a few group buys now for the wetek, Im curious, as the demand for these weteks has been unreal, and I know for a fact, that a high percentage of those that have ordered via the group buy are only interested in Kodi and possibly putting Android on it. Im assuming whats catching their attention is the RRP of €90 and they get if for €63 via group buy

So what box would you recommend thats "way better specs than the Wetek, and considerably cheaper"

Thanks

Inb4 he links to an mxq box he's selling himself.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Out of interest, which box are you referring to, obviously having run a few group buys now for the wetek, Im curious, as the demand for these weteks has been unreal, and I know for a fact, that a high percentage of those that have ordered via the group buy are only interested in Kodi and possibly putting Android on it. Im assuming whats catching their attention is the RRP of €90 and they get if for €63 via group buy

So what box would you recommend thats "way better specs than the Wetek, and considerably cheaper"

Thanks

I'm referring to a box that doesn't have satellite input, but more RAM and better processor. If you just want to run android apps and aren't bothered about tuning in satellite channels (or have other means), then it would be a better option.

Don't get me wrong, I have the Wetek and it's a nice box. For most people I know who are less technically literate than I am, I would just recommend a standard Android box.

I'm referring to a box that doesn't have satellite input, but more RAM and better processor. If you just want to run android apps and aren't bothered about tuning in satellite channels (or have other means), then it would be a better option.

Don't get me wrong, I have the Wetek and it's a nice box. For most people I know who are less technically literate than I am, I would just recommend a standard Android box.

Very good, so which box should I look at and how much is it? thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Just came across this now, I gather there's another group buy going on. Have I missed the boat, is it too late to join?

Very good, so which box should I look at and how much is it? thanks very much

I'm not having a dig in any way, I appreciate all your hard work, and I really do like the Wetek. I just think a lot of people aren't realising what they're getting.

My second box is M8S+, which was just over €40. Plug it in, good to go.

When comparing purely as Android boxes:

1GB RAM v 2GB RAM
    4GB Nand v 8GB
    KK vs Lolli

People have to realise that what they are paying for is the Satellite/Cable capability. With my family, I've found that they are happy to use the Android features only.

I'm sure a lot of people have the time/energy to set up the Wetek a lot better than I have, however. When I have more time, I'll have a look.

I'm not having a dig in any way, I appreciate all your hard work, and I really do like the Wetek. I just think a lot of people aren't realising what they're getting.

My second box is M8S+, which was just over €40. Plug it in, good to go.

When comparing purely as Android boxes:

1GB RAM v 2GB RAM
    4GB Nand v 8GB
    KK vs Lolli

People have to realise that what they are paying for is the Satellite/Cable capability. With my family, I've found that they are happy to use the Android features only.

I'm sure a lot of people have the time/energy to set up the Wetek a lot better than I have, however. When I have more time, I'll have a look.

I'm glad you have put up an alternative as I dont know a thing about these and as ive said in the past, I just facilitate the ordering of these. There are guys on here who seem very handy with them, but Im certainly not one of those. I totally get what you are saying thou and agree that there is a large element of people buying and not actually knowing what they are buying.

You got some deal getting it for €40 thou, I searched for that model on found it on amazon for a good bit more than that. Im sure that its available in china and UK for cheaper thou

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000M-Ethernet-Android-Amlogic-Bluetooth/dp/B0151D7D2S

• Advertisement

I'm glad you have put up an alternative as I dont know a thing about these and as ive said in the past, I just facilitate the ordering of these. There are guys on here who seem very handy with them, but Im certainly not one of those. I totally get what you are saying thou and agree that there is a large element of people buying and not actually knowing what they are buying.

You got some deal getting it for €40 thou, I searched for that model on found it on amazon for a good bit more than that. Im sure that its available in china and UK for cheaper thou

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000M-Ethernet-Android-Amlogic-Bluetooth/dp/B0151D7D2S

I got it from wish.com. Advertised as €46, drops to €43 at checkout. Arrived in just over a week (I've waited for 2 months for similar items in the past), and no duty payable.

Nobody will regret the Wetek Box though, overall it's more capable.

I actually think that the Wetek box you're doing deserves its own thread. It's not the basic Kodi Android box that the thread title implies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

I think the problem here is this thread started out as a Bargain Alert for a different box which was just an android box,no satellite option at all,

Anybody buying the wetek should know its capabilities,and purchase it because of them, or else look somewhere else,

Might be time to re-title the thread

Double post

Ok so, Ive been taking a few more orders this morning and giving those who PM'ed me over night a last min chance to get in on this. Im done now, ORDER IS NOW 100% CLOSED, if you missed out, then Im sorry about that, this thread has been going weeks now and if you were genuinely interested in getting in, then you would have made it you business to get in on this last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I got it from wish.com. Advertised as €46, drops to €43 at checkout. Arrived in just over a week (I've waited for 2 months for similar items in the past), and no duty payable.

Nobody will regret the Wetek Box though, overall it's more capable.

I actually think that the Wetek box you're doing deserves its own thread. It's not the basic Kodi Android box that the thread title implies.

I'd say there'll be a few with regrets. I'm a noob and while I'm enjoying tinkering around and am happy with the box, it's a headache. There's plenty of advice out there alright but you need to trawl through forums and YouTube to get it and a lot of it is complicated, and some of it conflicting. I've got time to learn so I don't really mind but I can see why people could easily get frustrated trying to understand stuff they've never heard of before like tvheadend, oscam, enigma and openelec. There should be classes for this! The big plus for me is the sat tuner and the ability to record to an external hard drive. That's worth the money for me. I have a firestick that does pretty much everything else the Wetek can do as far as I can see. For me, as a noob, it's a complicated toy that can do some very fancy stuff if you're prepared to put in the time and don't mind getting frustrated and disappointed from time to time. That's just my experience :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

So is the order closed or what?! :confused::D

Actually, reporting this post to inform the BA mods to either EXPIRE this or mark as 'Group Buy Closed' so it doesn't keep coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

jakdublin wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be a few with regrets. I'm a noob and while I'm enjoying tinkering around and am happy with the box, it's a headache. There's plenty of advice out there alright but you need to trawl through forums and YouTube to get it and a lot of it is complicated, and some of it conflicting. I've got time to learn so I don't really mind but I can see why people could easily get frustrated trying to understand stuff they've never heard of before like tvheadend, oscam, enigma and openelec. There should be classes for this! The big plus for me is the sat tuner and the ability to record to an external hard drive. That's worth the money for me. I have a firestick that does pretty much everything else the Wetek can do as far as I can see. For me, as a noob, it's a complicated toy that can do some very fancy stuff if you're prepared to put in the time and don't mind getting frustrated and disappointed from time to time. That's just my experience :-)

I thought it said WITH tuners. Venz K1 is buggy at best.

I don't think anyone will regret the wetek.
    They don't have to go straight into setting up for satellite/Terrestial TV.

They can install Android on it (VERY easily once you have the files) and then just use it as a normal android box, and optionally dual boot with openELEC with a few addons.
    When they've had it a while and maybe read through the thread(s), they can then choose to hook it up to TV and decide to play around with that.

Allyall wrote: »
    I thought it said WITH tuners. Venz K1 is buggy at best.

I don't think anyone will regret the wetek.
    They don't have to go straight into setting up for satellite/Terrestial TV.

They can install Android on it (VERY easily once you have the files) and then just use it as a normal android box, and optionally dual boot with openELEC with a few addons.
    When they've had it a while and maybe read through the thread(s), they can then choose to hook it up to TV and decide to play around with that.

Venz K1? There's another word I hadn't heard of a fortnight ago. This is a very steep learning curve for some of us :-)

Yeah, I'd advise anyone newish to this to take their time and set things up one at a time. However, as someone mentioned earlier, without the TV element the box wouldn't be a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

RossieMan wrote: »
    As a side note, anyone asking if the box is fully loaded really shouldn't be buying one of these. It's not hard set up at all. But I've a felling Tvheadend of enigma2 may be too much of a challenge.

I must have gotten a different box to you!! :D

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    I must have gotten a different box to you!! :D

Seems a lot of people did lol

Honest it's not that hard to get the basics setup

Final order done and dusted now, 84 units ordered made up of 72 sat and 12 Saorview

So if Im not mistaken, that 12, that other user had in his group buy, 26 in my first, 62 in my second, 83 in my third one, and now 84 in this one, thats a total of 267 altogether via boards

People who have no idea what there at seem to have bought. That's the issue here. I myself was fairly useless. But then there are people who can't even determine the ip address of their box. :/

People who have no idea what there at seem to have bought. That's the issue here. I myself was fairly useless. But then there are people who can't even determine the ip address of their box. :/

Whats an IP address:D:D:D

I

I think that's spot on and they're the people who might be disappointed. I've had to learn a lot to get my box going and I've a lot more learning to do. I'm well pleased with mine though. It's a great hobby :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

I

I think that's spot on and they're the people who might be disappointed. I've had to learn a lot to get my box going and I've a lot more learning to do. I'm well pleased with mine though. It's a great hobby :-)

That's what it is ..a great hobby :cool::D !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Final order done and dusted now, 84 units ordered made up of 72 sat and 12 Saorview

So if Im not mistaken, that 12, that other user had in his group buy, 26 in my first, 62 in my second, 83 in my third one, and now 84 in this one, thats a total of 267 altogether via boards

Remember Victor Kiam - the Remington shaver guy?

He liked the product so much, he bought the company......... that could be you yet Aquos.

I've already had 63 euro of enjoyment messing about with this, and I haven't gone near enigma yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I've never had an Android box and have ordered one of these. To me it's an android/openelec box with sat capabilities. Haven't a clue about a lot of what I've been reading - especially the long thread on these boxes on the avforum, but when it arrives I'll decide if I want to put in the commitment to learning all I need to know. If it's too much of a headache or if I just can't be bothered then I'll just sell it on. Not a lot to lose really

Whats an IP address:D:D:D

I think it is the same as an Eircode !

wiz569 wrote: »
    Seems a lot of people did lol

Honest it's not that hard to get the basics setup

I got the TvHeadend up and running for the FTA channels, did not bother sorting out bouquets etc. as I reckoned I would be trying a few different options (Android, Enigma, OpenATV etc.).

I think the amount of options for this box is what is actually adding to the confusion.

eamonnq wrote: »
    I got the TvHeadend up and running for the FTA channels, did not bother sorting out bouquets etc. as I reckoned I would be trying a few different options (Android, Enigma, OpenATV etc.).

I think the amount of options for this box is what is actually adding to the confusion.

Haven t sorted out the bouquets either,keep booting back into E2 image lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Does this box play UK free view HD channels ? or only if you have strong signal ?

tharmor wrote: »
    Does this box play UK free view HD channels ? or only if you have strong signal ?

I can definitely remember seeing channel 4 HD and BBC HD. The picture didn't look amazing when watching BBC HD, though.

If you mean Free Sat HD channels then yes m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Trevord wrote: »
    He liked the product so much, he bought the company......... that could be you yet Aquos.

Waterford Wetekwood has that certain ring to it.

Anymore runs and a twinning with Ljubljana is definitely in order - what have Saint-Herblain or Abbotskerswell ever done for Waterford that could possibly compete?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

What's the best kodi build for open elec?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Basil3 wrote:
    I can definitely remember seeing channel 4 HD and BBC HD. The picture didn't look amazing when watching BBC HD, though.

but u need a good antenna ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Newport81 wrote: »
    What's the best kodi build for open elec?
    Neo.

By a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

dodzy wrote: »
    Neo.

By a long shot.

Cheers where do i find that?

dodzy wrote: »
    Neo.

By a long shot.

How about builds? Am I just looking for trouble if I install a build like Beast or Black Box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Is mentioning builds, not the same as mentioning addons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

How about builds? Am I just looking for trouble if I install a build like Beast or Black Box?

in my experience, yes, too many updates that, at a minimum will slow the device down, and may even cause file corruption due to constant writes to storage. Stay clear of builds and just install the addons you need.

but u need a good antenna ?

I was referring to sat dish. If it's pointing in the right direction, you'll have no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Allyall wrote: »
    Is mentioning builds, not the same as mentioning addons?
    I would have thought not. I'd install a build purely for the UI it provides. Some are very well put together. It's worth looking into for no other reason other that having Megan Fox in a Supergirl costume sprawled across your TV as a customised wallpaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Agree 100% with captain boycott in post #1942.

Kodi builds sound great in principle, but once you know how to install addons, and which ones you want, then you are better off tailoring kodi to your own preferences, adding the addons you really want, rather than bulk loading a lot of addons via a build.

The auto updating of addons with a build becomes a pain in the ass. You'll see it going on in the background and you won't be even using much of the stuff that is updating.

Also if your Wetek is android then Kodi seems to be effectively turned off unless you enter the Kodi interface (I could be wrong, but so far I think no addon updating happens unless you enter Kodi). This means that your Kodi build could spend a couple of minutes updating each time you go in there, whereas in the Openelec version, once the box is left on then build addons can update even when you are not using the box.

No harm to try out a build just to see the apps they come with, but personally I'd revert back to the standard kodi release after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Posted this in the other thread but it seems more appropriate here since we are on the subject of builds...

Running openelec here myself and struggling to install the black box build in Kodi.

I had it installed and working prefect already but updated the box to openelec 6 and it wont install now.

I can install the zip file but when I go to addons and try to install it I get an error...

Not sure if its an issue with openelec or the black box itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I disagree about installing builds, theres a lot more to a build than just the addons, I don't have time to go removing crap / dead filehosts, sorting host priorities, removing dead addons and finding new or better ones. Its way faster for me to install a build and remove the addons and repositories I don't want.

The beast is dead by the way Chris Blower has quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

I'm not going to use one of my boxes and would sell it at cost to a fellow boardie. It's the dvb-c/t version, pm for details.

Posted this in the other thread but it seems more appropriate here since we are on the subject of builds...

Running openelec here myself and struggling to install the black box build in Kodi.

I had it installed and working prefect already but updated the box to openelec 6 and it wont install now.

I can install the zip file but when I go to addons and try to install it I get an error...

Not sure if its an issue with openelec or the black box itself...

Black box is being replaced by Paradox today as the guy running it has quit and handed over to someone else. Servers are getting hammered at the moment so best wait a couple of days. I'm steering clear of builds on the back of advice posted earlier. I'm building up my own set up and it's a good exercise in learning. I have Black Box running on a Firestick. It is/was a nice build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Black box is being replaced by Paradox today as the guy running it has quit and handed over to someone else. Servers are getting hammered at the moment so best wait a couple of days. I'm steering clear of builds on the back of advice posted earlier. I'm building up my own set up and it's a good exercise in learning. I have Black Box running on a Firestick. It is/was a nice build.

Thats a shame, I thought TBB was brilliant.

Hopefully Paradox will be as good...

Edit:
    TBB is still working away on my laptop, will it continue to do so or will it eventually crash ?

• Advertisement

It'll work no problem I'd imagine, it just won't update or can't be installed anymore.

Personally I think the black box is cluttered. Find spinz TV much better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement