Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I just need 2 boxes that can run kodi by Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

RossieMan wrote: »
    At 62-64 euro it is a stretch. I'd definitely be up for something else, doesn't even need to be a sat receiver for me.

Try this then, works out about €20 cheaper than the wetek for slightly better performance too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuntab-S805-Android-Kitkat-Streaming-Player-Streamer/dp/B011QXF4TG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448649966&sr=8-3&keywords=s805

You could save a bit more by buying an s805 chipped box from aliexpress but you'll be waiting a few weeks for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

At 62-64 euro it is a stretch. I'd definitely be up for something else, doesn't even need to be a sat receiver for me.

The sat receiver wasn't a deal breaker for me either, was only a bonus, happy enough with present sat situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭oodles19

Ush1 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat, I'd like something that'd be easy to use for the family (decent skin, no tinkering required apart from me flashing a ROM if I need to) and would last a couple of years, as hassle free as possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

All the boxes I'm looking at have Android or Linux, so Kodi will be possible for all of them.
    Android Apps will be possible for some.
    I've a few I've skimmed over, and not yet got any source, but I'm pretty sure they'll include DHL for < €60 each.
    DVB-S2 and DVB-C/T/T2 tuners I'm sure are easily swapped. The few I've looked at sell both models, so for a bulk order for example, they should have no problem removing 4 DVB-S2 and replacing them with 4 DVB-C/T/T2 tuners.

Some I've skimmed over so far

(I accidentally deleted a link, but this is the same)
    http://www.dhgate.com/product/1pcs-amlogic-s805-android-4-4-dvb-t2-tv-box/258842548.html/

I think they're both the same with different software.

http://www.alibaba.com/android-dvb--s2-cccam-suppliers.html

www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Amlogic-S805-Quad-core-android-dvb-s2-vigica-c90s-android-4-4-2-1G/32306904267.html

www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-DVB-S2-Vigica-C90S-Satellite-Receiver-1G-8G-Quad-Core-Android-TV-Box-HD-Support/32421154884.html

I'm looking at more. I believe the sellers will jump at shipping them.
    I'm trying to work it out so after DHL and Customs they're still below €60.
    And I've no doubt at all, that those prices aren't the cheapest.

Is this a bit messy?
    I just got sidetracked. I think they may be better than the wetek, but it may suit others to get wetek..

• Advertisement

@Allyall

The last and second last links are showing a 404 error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

There appears to be a lot of 'up your own ass' like comments being made. No one was asked for hand holding, no one was asked to be responsible for anyone else's purchase.

With regard to.... 'These things are going to be very complicated to use especially when loading inages and utilising dvb functions. If you don't know how to do these things or do not have experience with kodi then you probably shouldn't be buying one. These are not magical working out of the box systems, they require advanced user configuration.'..........

I would have no problem giving it a go and learning anything needed, there are plenty of tutorials for most of these things and forums with people willing to help I'm sure. No one would learn how to do anything if we all walked away from things because we have never tried or experienced them before.

In any case, I decided not to put my name down for one in the end, not because I'm thick but more because I found something else I need more to spend the money on.

Best of luck to everyone with the orders, sounds like a great deal, will be mighty handy over the Christmas for viewing on or just as a project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Realistically, I'd say the majority of interested folk would agree that the sat / terr tuner was a bonus, but not a deal breaker. Personally, I would suggest a 8gb/2gb box. I agree that a €60 plus tag is a bit extreme for such a bulk buy. They could have moved. Too big for their boots perhaps!

dodzy wrote: »
    Realistically, I'd say the majority of interested folk would agree that the sat / terr tuner was a bonus, but not a deal breaker. Personally, I would suggest a 8gb/2gb box. I agree that a €60 plus tag is a bit extreme for such a bulk buy. They could have moved. Too big for their boots perhaps!

What about something like this, reliable brand and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

The thing that's important with these boxes is which has good support and backing for software and has images available. Some of the boxes below are generic no brand that will have zero support so infact could be virtually useless.
    The wetek has a big group of followers developing software and images for it and has gotten to a very stable position with a variety of ready made images available.
    Wetek has options of open elec with tv head end for satellite/ saorview TVs viewing.
    Or has enigma 2 images with kodi built in ready to go.

I'd recommend sticking to the wetek as its an enigma2 twin tuner satellite with kodi also for very small money.

Ps look at prices for other twin tuner enigma2 satellite receivers.
    You can add hdd to this and record 2 channels.
    Can stream satellite from this box to other android/ kodi boxes also.

Allyall wrote: »
    All the boxes I'm looking at have Android or Linux, so Kodi will be possible for all of them.
    Android Apps will be possible for some.
    I've a few I've skimmed over, and not yet got any source, but I'm pretty sure they'll include DHL for < €60 each.
    DVB-S2 and DVB-C/T/T2 tuners I'm sure are easily swapped. The few I've looked at sell both models, so for a bulk order for example, they should have no problem removing 4 DVB-S2 and replacing them with 4 DVB-C/T/T2 tuners.

Some I've skimmed over so far

(I accidentally deleted a link, but this is the same)
    http://www.dhgate.com/product/1pcs-amlogic-s805-android-4-4-dvb-t2-tv-box/258842548.html/

I think they're both the same with different software.

http://www.alibaba.com/android-dvb--s2-cccam-suppliers.html

www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Amlogic-S805-Quad-core-android-dvb-s2-vigica-c90s-android-4-4-2-1G/32306904267.html

www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-DVB-S2-Vigica-C90S-Satellite-Receiver-1G-8G-Quad-Core-Android-TV-Box-HD-Support/32421154884.html

I'm looking at more. I believe the sellers will jump at shipping them.
    I'm trying to work it out so after DHL and Customs they're still below €60.
    And I've no doubt at all, that those prices aren't the cheapest.

Is this a bit messy?
    I just got sidetracked. I think they may be better than the wetek, but it may suit others to get wetek..

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    The thing that's important with these boxes is which has good support and backing for software and has images available. Some of the boxes below are generic no brand that will have zero support so infact could be virtually useless.
    The wetek has a big group of followers developing software and images for it and has gotten to a very stable position with a variety of ready made images available.
    Wetek has options of open elec with yv head end for satellite/ saorview TVs viewing.
    Or has enigma 2 images with kodi built in ready to go.

I'd recommend sticking to the wetek as its an enigma2 twin tuner satellite with kodi also for very small money.

Yeah, I have to agree. I was sidetracked by the Amiko A3 for £59, forgetting the exchange rate, and that got me thinking..

The real thing about the wetek, is the support.
    You don't need quad or octacore if the chipset is good.
    The support on the wetek is very good. I think stick with it...

The spreadsheet is still there. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LUq17oevGvfXIzHo1ugspMSmkcXdwi7zX0pi3iiW3Ng/edit?pli=1#gid=0&vpid=A1

Could get the ball rolling this evening into tomorrow?

Sorry for derailing the whole thing.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I know 20 + people put there name down for this, but its literally 4 or 5 of us doing all the talking.

As I said, I'd happy either way, I just need 1 before Christmas.

dodzy wrote: »

Yeah, but in fairness he's always been like that. He does pay devs though, that were otherwise doing the same thing for free on forums.

The MXQ HD80 and the MXQ S85 are both very good, and can dual boot Openelec on an SD card, which is a cool feature.
    Also both are available for around €32 delivered.
    I know 20 + people put there name down for this, but its literally 4 or 5 of us doing all the talking.

That could be down to me going off on another tangent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what about the alien 2 bulk buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

batistuta9 wrote: »

Completely different animal

Also they never replied to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

As I said, I'd happy either way, I just need 1 before Christmas.

I can help whatever way apart from ordering them. Can distribute them or drop off in and around Ennis(Clare) and Claremorris(Mayo)

Completely different animal

but an animal I we want :pac:

you'd get decent android boxes, mxiii eg. for <50, god knows what buying bulk

I'm castlebar/westport area at the moment, can also sort out Roscommon if needs be.

GY A1 #311 makes most sense.

Lets regroup tomorrow and bite the bullet eitherway. If its the WETEK, then so be it. Feck it, you'd spend that on a tame night out on the town. As I said earlier, I'll take 12 and distribute, no worries. I'm off to watch Tubridy.....and relive my youth.

• Advertisement

The wetek can dual boot from whichever system u want in nand on its own internal memory. Or it can boot also from inserting a micro sd card in the side of box ( with say enigma2 )

Outdated now at this stage and poor piece of equipment imo

You don't mean the 3 that Allyall had linked for £59 earlier?

Did you order that gyro mouse?

Anything to keep delivery costs down. It's one thing I hate paying. Anywhere. I'd wait weeks rather than pay a couple of euro for delivery.

Anything to keep delivery costs down. It's one thing I hate paying. Anywhere. I'd wait weeks rather than pay a couple of euro for delivery.

The €6 dpd is not bad in fairness

Nah, have to disagree Rosie. A few bob vs 4 weeks from aliexpress - no contest. I'd pay the €, within reason of course.

Tubridy is a right pain in the arse by the way.

No it's not to be fair. It's just on general I dislike doing it.

At 60+ euro it is getting expensive for old tech, be interesting to see can they give us a better price.

GY A1 wrote: »
    Outdated now at this stage and poor piece of equipment imo

what would you recommend?
    Invincible wrote: »
    You don't mean the 3 that Allyall had linked for £59 earlier?

Did you order that gyro mouse?

no, the 2. meant to get linux sat box.

didn't order that yet either, might get santa to bring it actually :pac: probably be february though at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Ush1 wrote: »

Same as this - just looking for plug and play with kodi already installed. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

To point out the obvious this was just about a bargain if you got one for 54 euro. 32 of them at that price is not a bargain. They clearly didnt expect anyone to take them up on the offer not alone three times that many.

Plus there is the security on the money. Im sure the people offering to look after it are sound but its still a lot of money.

• Advertisement

No it's not to be fair. It's just on general I dislike doing it.

At 60+ euro it is getting expensive for old tech, be interesting to see can they give us a better price.

I half agree.

It's not really 'old' tech. Those Amlogic chips flew out within a year, many weren't the finished article. The AML8726-MX is probably the most stable chip they ever released, because they had time.
    The Rockchips were a disaster, and the Nufront which came out with them :pac:.

But the price for most of them is high.
    But as GY A1 said, the support and community with the Wetek is well worth it.
    No point in having a quad core device bugging out, no roms, nobody developing for it, Kodi stuttering and no support, Nightly builds fixing one problem but causing another and no OpenELEC or Enigma2 etc.. and costing over €100.

The M8 has gone through 4 different life cycles to get to the M8S+ and the Wetek was there for all of them and still does more than it.

The wetek works, it works well, and when it doesn't there's tons of support and videos.
    Well worth the money imo.

I just wasn't thinking when I went looking elsewhere... :o

https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside
    Sending money (personal payments)

It's always free to send money to friends and family when you use your PayPal balance or bank account. Fees apply only if the sender uses a credit or debit card, or if you receive any payment for goods or services. There are also:

So, could I put the cash in my paypal account from my debit card and then send it?
    It's €0.35c + 3.4% otherwise.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm still prepared to organise getting in 12 of these if people are interested, the way I see it, we would be getting a decent box with good support behind it for a little over €60. We'd need to get the ball rolling on this now thou if we want to get them at that price.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'm still prepared to organise getting in 12 of these if people are interested, the way I see it, we would be getting a decent box with good support behind it for a little over €60. We'd need to get the ball rolling on this now thou if we want to get them at that price.

Deal is on until 29th, so this afternoon should be time enough.

Yeah but obviously we've to wait to all 12 people or possibly 24 people to come on line and send the money to whoever is ordering them before an order can be placed.

Yeah but obviously we've to wait to all 12 people or possibly 24 people to come on line and send the money to whoever is ordering them before an order can be placed.

I'll top up my account tomorrow and send on the money to whoever is going with the P-Motel option, just too much of a lottery on receiving the correct tuner option through DPD, when they're are variations being ordered. Are you going with the Parcel Motel? €54 + €4.50 ?

• Advertisement

Yeah, do we have a fixed price?

The spreadsheet can be altered by the three people taking payments for paypal and can colour code each person when they have paid?

Yeah, do we have a fixed price?

The spreadsheet can be altered by the three people taking payments for paypal and can colour code each person when they have paid?

Why do you ask, was there a change in price expected from what we knew earlier?

Invincible wrote: »
    Why do you ask, was there a change in price expected from what we knew earlier?

I disappeared for an hour+ earlier, I skimmed back over the bits, I didn't see a final price. Including shipping method?
    Or did I miss it? I must have, what's the €4.50 paypal method?

EDIT - Okay, I see it.

What about Post Office?
    Dropping 11 consoles to local Post Office with addresses on them? I could do that. Need post prices though.

I disappeared for an hour+ earlier, I skimmed back over the bits, I didn't see a final price. Including shipping method?
    Or did I miss it? I must have, what's the €4.50 paypal method?

EDIT - Okay, I see it.

What about Post Office?
    Dropping 11 consoles to local Post Office with addresses on them? I could do that. Need post prices though.

I think from posting before, tablet and HRM on separate occasions, they charged €7 for tracked delivery.
    Some of the lad's said €4.50 would be P-Motel charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

I don't care how its done, am ready to send paypal amount to whoever is ordering the 12. I am not online all the time, so count me in to whatever method is decided upon. Thanks again to all organising

• Advertisement

Ok guys, let's kick this off.

I'm taking 2 so I need 10 more (minimum). So the first 10 pm's to me will receive my PayPal address. If 10 names want more than 10 boxes combined, that's fine. Its going to be 62€ each (per box):

€54- box
    €6.10- registered signed for post (packet) - I'll cover the 10c cause I'm nice;)
    €2- large Jiffy bag

If you are ordering more than 2, then delivery will be €11 ( parcel rate)

Each pm should contain:

Your name & address
    Qty ordered
    Tuner type

Remember, if the funds are in your PayPal account or coming from your bank account, there are no charges. If your PayPal balance is zero and you have your card linked (either debit or credit ), then there will be an approx charge of 2.40 on top of this. Please ensure that this is covered. I will get the boxes to my house and break them down and pack/reg post to my list. This will be the quickest delivery method and I will ensure prompt correct model and quantity dispatch. I'll keep the thread updated with progress.

Let the games commence :)

I'm working all day but will pop in periodically

Edit: it is possible that interest might have dropped and we won't need multiple members to take batch responsibility but time will tell.

Ok, what I'll do, is I'll take the €54 euro first to cover the cost of the purchase, then once they come I'll contact each person individually and see what way they want it sent to them, I can do either ParcelMotel or via registered post.

So once I have 11 people pm me I'll with go ahead and order them. Make sure you specify which model you want ordered in your pm to me also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Just saw this looks like a good deal I think I'd be up for ordering 2 just need to decide what tuners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Lads does this have an ir extension so I can put it behind the tv?

Lads does this have an ir extension so I can put it behind the tv?

Remote is RF/IR combo with air mouse feature so should not need line of sight i.e you can hide it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ks44

Lads I put myself down for two of these yesterday. Then got called in for 12hr shift so just bringing myself up to date.
    I'm just looking for a box for friends that I can put kodi on it for movies, etc and it will run smoothly. Not to bothered about tuners.
    Is this still a good choice or am I better just buying different box off amazon or something?

Sorry if these questions are going to piss anyone off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Late to party also can someone post link to these boxes very interested in getting one for tv in kitchen.

http://linux-tv.com/receiver/wetek-play-review/

http://www.wetekplay.co.uk/product.html

See post #342 for details and cost

Offer closes to public for batch buys at end of tomorrow but ideally I'd like to place orders tomorrow morning do rather that wait till last minute, please place orders ADAP so we can get it all sorted.

Well worth watching this - http://openelec.tv/ for €53.99

If not least, for their forums and improvements.
    They were slow to start, but prove how important/valuable support is.

To previous poster, this is original link.

Aqous76, I've received 2 pms. How are you doing?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement