Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand new PS4 overheating

Options
  • 17-11-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

As the title says, week old PS4 played very little is overheating and fans going bananas.

Only game played on it is AC Syndicate.

I think I'll be bringing it back as I had a PS3 with same issue many years back.

Just wanted to see if others had experienced the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How do you know it is overheating?
    The fan is loud so it could be at it's normal fan speed. My fan makes noise but nothing mad. It's only slightly louder than my PS3 (phat).

Has the PS4 plenty of ventilation?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you keeping it in a confined space with no ventilation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

How do you know it is overheating?

Its beside me when playing, I put my hand on the top. Its hot. Very hot. And there is a mild burning smell.
    The fan is loud so it could be at it's normal fan speed. My fan makes noise but nothing mad. It's only slightly louder than my PS3 (phat).

This is loud. Borderline hairdryer loud.
    Has the PS4 plenty of ventilation?

Sure does. Its sitting horizontally on a desk beside me, nothing blocking its access at the rear. Good ventilation all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Sounds pretty bad. I'd bring it back within 28 days to get it replaced on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 QuelleSuprise

Yeah, i'd say just return it for a replacement. Probably just failed thermal paste application or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Yeah, gonna bring it back and get it replaced. Not taking any chances. Its so hot, the thermal paste must not have been applied properly and the machine is working overtime to keep the processor and other components cool.

Question: if I setup playstation plus, can I save my saved game data to the cloud? I don't want to have to start AC Syndicate from scratch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Keyzer wrote: »
    Question: if I setup playstation plus, can I save my saved game data to the cloud? I don't want to have to start AC Syndicate from scratch.

Yes, you can upload the save game to the cloud and then re-download it to the new machine. I had to do this earlier this week with a PS4 replacement. Although hopefully you don't get the new problem I have - if I play a game using these downloaded saves it crashes with a CE-34878-0 error code. Playing them from the start seems fine. Maybe that was because the orignal saves were from a 1st gen PS4 and now I'm using 4th gen, not sure.

Separate to using PS+, I think you can also backup and restore saves using a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I remember playing Syndicate and the fans would go mad during loading screens. Try another game just to make sure it's not the game. I've read on the AC thread that other people had the same issue as me.

Hope it helps.

Advertisement