Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It wouldn't be Christmas without....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Fr Ted Xmas Special.
    Can almost quote it line for line at this stage, but it's still magic.

Living in Edinburgh now, these lights are incredible, it makes coming to the office in the dark and leaving in the dark easier.

1386031544790c096f52c76ef7245a1a7c5f80f564032-mediumoriginalaspectdouble.jpg

Come December you can't get in the door for lunch, but they go all out there too:
    0_buildings_-_dome_christmas_2013_tree_and_waiters_144991.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny how Christmas changes when you get married and/or have kids.

Before then, Xmas was going down to the parents' house, do the present thing, drink in hand by 2pm, nibbling on bits of food and watching TV (or playing video games, even in our 20s), then dinner, followed by a bit of TV then poker and/or board games late into the night/morning. Basically drinking and eating a lot and doing fck all.

Then you get married and end up at the in-laws on Xmas day and it's the little things. Like nobody really watching TV before dinner, instead everyone milling around doing stuff. And friends coming over for a drink (which we never really did), with everyone sitting there chatting. Then after dinner there's another lull, no TV, just people milling around. Though the board games still come out at 11pm, except it doesn't last till 4am and nobody gets very drunk. It's not a bad thing, just different.

Then a child comes along and screws it all up again. The person who's driving home can't drink. You constantly have something to do - sitting on the couch watching telly with a drink? Forget it, there's a nappy to be changed and child to be fed, and a constant watchful eye to be kept. Staying up till 4am playing board games and getting drunk? Ha!

The little one is 3 this year now, so I'm looking forward to being able to chill a bit more - she can play happily away with her toys while I watch some crap on TV. Though I'll still be at the in-laws, so I can't properly chill. :D

This is probably one of the last years we'll go to either parents' house and probably opt to stay at home next year instead. Which will be nice, but all different once again. Then we can make our own traditions that future Christmases won't be the same without :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The big jigsaw puzzle out on the table, everyone who passes by has a go at putting in a few pieces. It lasts until early January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

My mother's Christmas cake, it's simply the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

seamus wrote: »
    Funny how Christmas changes when you get married and/or have kids.

Before then, Xmas was going down to the parents' house, do the present thing, drink in hand by 2pm, nibbling on bits of food and watching TV (or playing video games, even in our 20s), then dinner, followed by a bit of TV then poker and/or board games late into the night/morning. Basically drinking and eating a lot and doing fck all.

Then you get married and end up at the in-laws on Xmas day and it's the little things. Like nobody really watching TV before dinner, instead everyone milling around doing stuff. And friends coming over for a drink (which we never really did), with everyone sitting there chatting. Then after dinner there's another lull, no TV, just people milling around. Though the board games still come out at 11pm, except it doesn't last till 4am and nobody gets very drunk. It's not a bad thing, just different.

Then a child comes along and screws it all up again. The person who's driving home can't drink. You constantly have something to do - sitting on the couch watching telly with a drink? Forget it, there's a nappy to be changed and child to be fed, and a constant watchful eye to be kept. Staying up till 4am playing board games and getting drunk? Ha!

The little one is 3 this year now, so I'm looking forward to being able to chill a bit more - she can play happily away with her toys while I watch some crap on TV. Though I'll still be at the in-laws, so I can't properly chill. :D

This is probably one of the last years we'll go to either parents' house and probably opt to stay at home next year instead. Which will be nice, but all different once again. Then we can make our own traditions that future Christmases won't be the same without :)

With you on this, except we've agreed that until our kids are out of the santa stage we are not leaving the house on christmas day, so no inlaws traditions to deal with, just ours.

At my home christmas day always ended with a card game, that always ended in an argument but you wouldn't be without it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Ham

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Staplor wrote: »
    Ham

I think I could live without the Ham, as long as there's turkey I'd be fine.

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Selection Boxes... nothing says Christmas like chocolate for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

katemarch wrote: »
    The big jigsaw puzzle out on the table, everyone who passes by has a go at putting in a few pieces. It lasts until early January.

I like the sound of this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    nothing says Christmas like chocolate for breakfast.

This! I never have a selection box (I'm not a fan of many chocolate bars) but I always have either a chocolate Santa or chocolate coins or both on Christmas morning, usually in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Regards the mulled wine I'll be trying it for the first time this year. Got a hankering for doing it after last years Christmas episode of the podcast Stuff You Should Know went through making it. Even if it doesn't turn out great I figure the smell will be lovely in the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Selection Boxes... nothing says Christmas like chocolate for breakfast.

What? No way man, Ham > Turkey

Getting up at 6 on christmas eve to do the prep for Christmas day and it all being worth the tiredness when I see the kids faces on the morning itself

Or getting up at 5am Christmas Morning to sit with the camera outside childs door waiting for the little darling to wake up and realise that Santa actually got into his room. It was worth the 2 1/2 hour wait to get that photo of him trying to drag the sack (pillowcase) of presents out of his room!

As for It wouldn't be Christmas without.......... Barrys Tea advert. "Santa will bring them what they want, this is from me." Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It wouldn't be Christmas without... the original Willie Wonka film on the tv. My dad missed it one year and wasn't impressed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah Jaysus now the ham is essential. My Ma does it on Christmas Eve so we could demolish half of it after the pub in sambos. My mothers birthday is Christmas Eve so we use to always go for a few scoops. I've kids now so the tradition is gone. But she still gets the ham ready for our Christmas Eve visit.

Off to Canada to the in laws for Christmas this year, 3rd or 4th time ever, have to make my own ham this year. I do a fine job but it's never 100% right.

To sum up: ham.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

The Rte Guide, baileys, Brussels sprouts and Chrimbo songs lots and lots of chrimbo songs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Brian? wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus now the ham is essential. My Ma does it on Christmas Eve so we could demolish half of it after the pub in sambos. My mothers birthday is Christmas Eve so we use to always go for a few scoops. I've kids now so the tradition is gone. But she still gets the ham ready for our Christmas Eve visit.

I do love the Ham sambos on Christmas Eve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

razorblunt wrote: »
    Living in Edinburgh now, these lights are incredible, it makes coming to the office in the dark and leaving in the dark easier.

OMG - How did I forget about the Christmas lights in the Dome? You might have to beat your way in there with a stick but it's a Christmas highlight. I took the fiance for his first time last year. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Oh! And mince pies. And custard. And whisky. And brandy sauce. And I'll second mother's Christmas cake (with marzipan and icing). I've no idea how I don't double my own weight over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My mums homemade chicken and vegetable soup. We went to our cousins one year and they had leek and potato, yuck, wasn't the same.

This will be our first year spending Christmas Eve setting Up santa! Ridiculously excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

My two front teeth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Hot Ports!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

A nativity play with dazed children wondering what on earth is going on! I'm particularly fond of the sheep and donkeys in these. I love the carol singing that goes with them too. Nothing like the voices of the children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

overdoing it on christmas eve despite saying every other year - never again..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Spiced beef. It wouldn't be Christmas without spiced beef

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Party food. I'm a real sucker for party food at Christmas. Tesco and M&S are great for it. Last year Tesco did these little mac and cheese bites that were amazing.

Party food. I'm a real sucker for party food at Christmas. Tesco and M&S are great for it. Last year Tesco did these little mac and cheese bites that were amazing.

Now you're talking!! I love the Tesco range of party food.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Doctor Who Christmas special.

We have started having a Martini on Christmas Eve while wrapping and assembling the Santy hauls. It gets us good and happy-tipsy without the hangover at 6am when the kids come barrelling in. :D

Board games on the 27th with all the pals who are back in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

The first bong of Christmas when the Guinness ad comes on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

alibabba wrote: »
    The first bong of Christmas when the Guinness ad comes on the TV

I have to agree my absolute all time favourite

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Neverbanned

I'm at the age where I look forward to these type of gifts haha.

Yeah, socks, jocks and "smellies" (either lynx gift sets or similar and aftershave) are quite welcome these days.

I've no kids, I'm only 31 to boot.
    But a good, practical gift that will get used.

Advertisement