Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It wouldn't be Christmas without....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've always loved socks as a present. I hate buying them for myself so getting them for free is always good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Yeah I want an Apple Watch for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Choc Chip wrote: »
    OMG - How did I forget about the Christmas lights in the Dome? You might have to beat your way in there with a stick but it's a Christmas highlight. I took the fiance for his first time last year. :)

It's an incredible place, I work on George St and the queues form next week onwards are always mad. We managed to somehow walk in on a Sunday evening in early December last year, no queue just straight through ... major brownie points earned on that one!

It's a shame Le Monde next door seems to be overlooked as their lights are decent too but just completely overshadowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

It wouldn't be Christmas without... that first person saying 'it doesn't feel like Christmas'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ooooh christmas morning breakfast! Slices of spiced beef on warm buttery toast. All cloves and cinnamon and nyom!

Setting up the snow footprints (flour!), the half eaten carrot and crumbs of the christmas biscuit before we go to bed.

Sneaking down the stairs on christmas morning in our jammies with the kids to see if Santa made it down the chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Don't think it's been mentioned yet..For me "It's a wonderful life" is compulsory viewing☺

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It wouldn't be Christmas without my dad trying to get everyone drunk on his infamous Irish coffees on Christmas morning :D We all have them and all the visitors are offered one (or two!) as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

This forum :)

Facetiming my goddaughter Xmas day to see what Santa brought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

pwurple wrote: »

Setting up the snow footprints (flour!), the half eaten carrot and crumbs of the christmas biscuit before we go to bed.

This reminds me of the occasions where we found little gifts that had "fallen from the sleigh" into our back garden. Our kids alway got a great kick out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Posy wrote: »
    This forum :)

Agreed. Although I don't post here I do lurk here to get into the Christmas spirit and it never fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

.....the hangover to end all hangovers on the 27th!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

It wouldn't be Christmas without... Die Hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

The last minute dash to get to all the in laws and out laws that I've not seen for ages on Christmas eve, dropping presents. Stuffed with tea, biscuits, Christmas cake, chocolates, and anything else in the house, and having to politely refuse a Christmas tipple, cause I've to drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

A days traveling just to get home.

My Dad is a butcher so its a mad panic during xmas week working 12 hours days in order to get the turkeys, hams and spiced beef all ready for the customers. Its tough going so no pre-xmas drinks with friends or shopping for us, just work. Always been the way since school and now when in full time employment. But I would not change for the world! Get to catch up with so many people I know and have not seen all year and generally get immersed in all the xmas spirit.

Once the big day arrives and we can relax, I love looking at the RTE guide to plan what movies to watch. Lots of tea, hot whiskey/hot/brandies and ice cold Baileys are a must!! I have a demon for ham covered in cranberry sauce. Just devine!! And my aunt makes the best pudding in the world. If I dont slip into a food coma, its chocolate and movies beside a roaring fire whilst the xmas tree twinkles in the corner.

St Stephans day is a repeat of xmas day! In the last few years I have invited a few old friends over for a few drinks and a glass of single malt. Long may that continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

lots and lots of napping! I've had 2 x 2 hour naps today and yesterday all cosy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Midnight Mass.
    The nibbles and drinks by the fire afterwards.
    Bread sauce, Cumberland sauce, Glazed ham. Roast Potatoes done in dripping.
    My brother complaining that I didn't make Baked Alaska then grinning about eating too much.
    The late night Irish Coffees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Silly amount of biscuits. My Dad works at a furniture factory and has a number of reps bring him goodies. So many tins of USA biscuits, always in our house when I was growing up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

the Premier League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Cork Lass wrote: »
    This reminds me of the occasions where we found little gifts that had "fallen from the sleigh" into our back garden. Our kids alway got a great kick out of this.

The brother thought this would be a good idea for his kids... Que three kids balling crying all morning at the idea that some poor feckers weren't going to get presents this year, and that it was only a matter of time before santy/elves came looking for the contraband

• Advertisement

My Credit Card! Ordering sister's Xmas gifts for her (she pays me back- I just "know all that Internet stuff")

The brother thought this would be a good idea for his kids... Que three kids balling crying all morning at the idea that some poor feckers weren't going to get presents this year, and that it was only a matter of time before santy/elves came looking for the contraband

This really made me laugh. We only ever found little stocking fillers that must have fallen out during our delivery. Or have I raised very selfish kids that couldn't care less about others missing out. :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭DeniG2

the Premier League

The Darts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Pub crawl with my mother on Christmas Eve because we both work that day and head to our respective homes via several hostelries and a curry house. Jona Lewie playing. Running through the city centre early on Christmas morning and marvelling at how unbelievably silent it is. Cooking two pounds of pork belly, four pounds of slow-cooked ham in cider and four pounds of slow-cooked spiced beef in Guinness for four people. Seeing everyone's reactions when they get their presents. Running up and down Howth a couple of days after Christmas. Heading back to work and leaving my wife at home to spend all day watching the darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Buying toys for my cousins little kids 'cos mine are all grown up.
    Making a big Trifle.
    Santy hats on the dog and cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ooh just thought of another one.

... without unfathomable 'fragrance' ads:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Putting the tree up when all else is done... Just noticed on the tree thread they are all fake ones does no one buy real anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Milly33 wrote: »
    Putting the tree up when all else is done... Just noticed on the tree thread they are all fake ones does no one buy real anymore?

I could be wrong but I think anyone buying a real tree will probably purchase it mid December to have it at its best for Christmas ! Should see pics then :)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think anyone buying a real tree will probably purchase it mid December to have it at its best for Christmas ! Should see pics then :)

You're right Glitzgirl. We get a fresh tree every year. We'll buy it next weekend and put it up around the 12th (it will live in a bucket of water in the back garden until then). I'm really looking forward to it and all the pictures on here have gotten me really excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Climbing up on the worktop on Christmas Eve afternoon to get the big mixing bowl for stuffing down from over the kitchen presses. Spending 20 mins cleaning some weird coloured grease off it and complaining that we need to by a new one while half or more than likely fully cut on hot whiskeys!

Advertisement