Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeking Accountancy Internship in Boston

• 17-11-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I'm currently in my third year in DIT studying Business and Management. I am hoping to qualify as an accountant at the end of my degree. This year I am to take part in an internship from April to September. I have been trying to apply to internships in the States particularly Boston but I am finding it increasing difficult as I do not have an American Address and my college results are not applicable when applying online due to the different grading schemes in America.

Has anyone done this before? Can anyone offer me some advice on how to properly apply for an internship in the States, put me in contact with someone or an organisation that could help me source an internship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well unless you are an American citizen you might want to start by finding out what kind of permit you require as it is unlikely that you will be allowed to work in the US without one. Once you have figured out that one you can start looking for companies that normally sponsor people for such permits.

On the other hand you might want to try Europe, where you have no such restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 22 john2524

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well unless you are an American citizen you might want to start by finding out what kind of permit you require as it is unlikely that you will be allowed to work in the US without one. Once you have figured out that one you can start looking for companies that normally sponsor people for such permits.

On the other hand you might want to try Europe, where you have no such restrictions

Thanks for the reply Jim but it would be a J1 visa. The standard visa for students working in America.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

john2524 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Jim but it would be a J1 visa. The standard visa for students working in America.

Well a couple of things I would suggest:

- Set up a linkedin profile if you have not already done so. Make it clear on the profile what you are seeking and your visa status. Use it to network with potential firms in the US. Don't be afraid to ask of what you want.

- Contact local chapters of accounting firms in the area you wish to visit and see if they can suggest any firms you might try your look at.

- Make up a little information pack about yourself (CV) and the Visa program and then start hitting member firms of the local CPA, IMA etc.. in the part of the country you are interested in going to. Even better would be use something like linkedin to better target people in the firms.

- Check out the student union, someone must must keep stats on what happened in other years.

One thing you should keep in mind thought is that the summer months are usually the quiet period in accounting, so the picking might not be too great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Just an FYI John, in case you are unaware, the J1 program is changing in that you now need to have employment set up before going to USA,

Something to bear in mind when you are going through the process

http://www.thejournal.ie/j1-visas-jobs-2439864-Nov2015/

Advertisement