Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood in bedroom with en-suite going on for days / weeks - licensee in room

Options
  • 17-11-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Just informed by my licensee that there is a flood in the bedroom after some question they informed me it has been going on for some time now. But only informing me now. I have not looked at the damage yet but we have a brand new very expensive floor down in the room and the boards are lifting and you can hear the water under them.

There is a lot of work and money to fix this issue. And the licensee will have to move out ( I think ) to fix it.

The Leak is most likely my fault ( again not seen it yet but my guess is a water connection is leaking )
    My question is am I fully responsible for all the damage. Regardless of the delay in informing me.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would say 50/50

You for poor installation.

Them for delaying you solving the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I would say you are 100% responsible . Your in charge of maintance. Its unfortunate they didnt tell you but the cause of the problem is your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're a licensee which means you live in the house

How come there was a delay in telling you? How come you had no idea about it early on???

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

They're a licensee which means you live in the house

How come there was a delay in telling you? How come you had no idea about it early on???

The leak is in their room which I am never in and the house is big so we come and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How long is "some time"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Less than a week; you pay. More than a week, 50/50, tbh.

If more than a week, I'd be wondering what else is wrong with their room.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dodgy DIY is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pay for it yourself and then get someone else in who will have enough respect for your Property to report a problem like this immediate.
    Surely house insurance will cover the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Checked it myself last night and the leak is a very slow leak from pex connection behind the sink. the floor boards have been destroyed and are starting to lift. I will be taking the full cost myself.

Cheers All.

Advertisement