Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Dublin 4 (Mount Merrion/Booterstown)

Options
  • 17-11-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi there,

Thanks in advance for any advice! And with that, I guess i'm looking for some advice. I live in an apartment complex in Merrion however the allocated parking space is occupied by my partner's car and the management company have a strict '1 car per apartment' policy.

I'm thinking of buying a non-expensive car for weekend run arounds and general practise (i'm currently on a provisional) however I'm wondering what my options are, in your opinions, for parking given that there's no space within the apartment complex?

I'm not opposed to (in fact, I'm quite happy to) park on the street but wonder if anybody may have some advice for parking in the area. The car would typically be parked most of Mon - Friday and be used primarily at weekends. Have any of you had experience of this and how did you get around it?

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's the story with parking in the area - are there white boxes or is it open (free) parking? If there's white boxes then you'd need a parking permit for free parking but you won't get one of those if you live in an apartment. Otherwise you'd have to pay for at least parking during business hours and possibly beyond that.

Parking varies considerably from place to place in Dublin generally, you appear to live in the DLR area so the parking charges vary and are indicated by the 'Dx' codes on the local signs. The charging structure is shown here for all of the Dublin local areas ....

https://www.parkingtag.ie/locations.html

If you live anywhere near the N11, I suspect that there will be zero free parking as otherwise it would be used as a free park & ride by people catching the 46A to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'd say your best bet would be to send a letter to the owners of the other apartments and ask if they would rent their spot to you (as you are already a resident there would not be security concerns over door codes etc.). A couple of people have done that in my apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Daft.ie have a section for renting car parking spaces.

11 available at the moment between €50 and €130 a month in Dublin 4

http://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/parking-spaces/dublin-4/?s%5Bpt_id%5D=2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its straightforward enough, if the road is marked for pay and display, its out; if its marked with double or single yellow lines, its out. Any other street where you can park without violating any other rules of the road (within 5m of a corner/junction, opposite a solid white line, obstructing an access etc) is fine.

I'd wonder why you need a car of your own if you're on a provisional licence and your partner has a car, as you're prohibited from driving it alone. And don't think they don't prosecute for it, a girlfriend of a pal of mine was summonsed for it. (Also the N11 is cop alley for traffic checks)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its straightforward enough, if the road is marked for pay and display, its out; if its marked with double or single yellow lines, its out. Any other street where you can park without violating any other rules of the road (within 5m of a corner/junction, opposite a solid white line, obstructing an access etc) is fine.

I'd wonder why you need a car of your own if you're on a provisional licence and your partner has a car, as you're prohibited from driving it alone. And don't think they don't prosecute for it, a girlfriend of a pal of mine was summonsed for it. (Also the N11 is cop alley for traffic checks)

Well, the reason being for practising and familiarising myself with 'my car' - i've also completed all EDT and test is booked to take place. I'm not stupid enough to violate the rules of the road in terms of driving alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'm from that area, there's feck all free parking, What caviardreams says above is probably your best bet

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

I'm not opposed to (in fact, I'm quite happy to) park on the street but wonder if anybody may have some advice for parking in the area. The car would typically be parked most of Mon - Friday and be used primarily at weekends. Have any of you had experience of this and how did you get around it?)
    Very little free parking in the area, and what free parking is available is in high demand from park-and-ride commuters and students. Permit parking was recently introduced in UCD which has increased the demand, with park-and-ride commuters being pushed elsewhere.

Advertisement