Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Capsule

• 17-11-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought it 11 months ago and i still haven't managed to get it working... partially because i have given up so many times.

When i first bought it, my Macbook Air would not pick it up wirelessly... and i was told i needed to buy a usb to ethernet cable and connect via that. €40 later i tried the usb to ethernet cable and i was able to connect and set it up via the cable but it still wasn't picking it up wirelessly thereafter.

I brought it to Apple and they had to send it off. I got it back this week. I set it up again using the usb to ethernet cable. I've now tried to connect to it wirelessly (Macbook, iPad, iPhone) and none of them will connect to it.

My Macbook Air is saying "can't connect to the Internet because it is using a self assigned IP address".

I am surprised how difficult it has been to set up. I'm running it through a UPC router.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Have you followed these instructions? (particularly which Ethernet port you connect to on the TC)
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201510

If you aren't sure how the TC is set up now (if you're not getting an IP address, you need to change settings on it), and want to start again, reset it using these instructions:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

If you can get connected wirelessly, and surf the web, you should be able to set up Time Machine on the Mac to back up wirelessly to the TC, but note that it will take a long time the first time (as much as 24 hours if you have a lot of data).

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks for your reply.

I've managed to get it working earlier by setting it to bridge mode and creating a 5GHz channel

Advertisement