Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a hairdresser normally serve a man ?

Options
  • 17-11-2015 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi was in my local haidresser last week, enquiring about a voucher for my father. I was told that 'they don't serve', 'think he said they are not allowed to serve men'...strange ? there's a barber just a few door's down, perhaps there's an arrangement between them ? (By the way the barber didn't have vouchers).
    Thoughts appreciated

S :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have certainly never heard of men not being served in any salons near me. I know it is often said that men hair is more difficult to cut than females hair so maybe they don't have anyone who is confident cutting mens hair. Still I would have thought they would have told you. It seems very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Some hairdressers prefer not to cut men's hair as they don't feel confident doing it and known that a barber will be able to do a better job this is probably what's going on here. Some hairdresser don't have any problem cutting men's hair but its ultimately their decision and what they feel comfortable doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

A lot of hairdressing training nowadays focus on either women's hair or men's (barbering) techniques.

Some stylists have never trained in cutting men's hair so won't know the correct fading techniques to use with clippers for instance, and therefore, won't be insured to offer gents haircuts.

Equally, you would not expect many barbers to offer haircuts for women on the basis that they haven't been trained to cut women's styles.

(Short hair on men is usually cut with square corners rather than softly rounded)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would your father really want to be in a hair salon with a load of ladies? Or would he be the type not to mind?

Advertisement